Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

Wow.

Well, the music was terrible, utterly terrible.

But the actual film looks fun!  I am digging the visual style they got going here, looks much better than Rogue One and TFA.

Seems appropriate to be the first Disney Summer Star Wars film instead of Winter

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Wow.

Well, the music was terrible, utterly terrible.

But the actual film looks fun!  I am digging the visual style they got going here, looks much better than Rogue One and TFA.

Seems appropriate to be the first Disney Summer Star Wars film instead of Winter

The music in the trailer was likely trailer music, save for the use of the SW theme at the end. I doubt it'll be in the actual score.

52 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

The music in the trailer was likely trailer music, save for the use of the SW theme at the end. I doubt it'll be in the actual score.

Wait... did you really think I didn't know that?

43 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Honest question. Why is this Star Wars? I think could honestly call it anything and people wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Does putting Star Wars in the title make it a star Wars story?

And what was that rock music garbage? If you want to be star Wars can't you atleast put a symphonic melody in there.

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait... did you really think I didn't know that?

Yeah, kinda. I assumed you were complaining about the music in the film in general. A lot of trailers are scored like that way honestly. My bad. 

lol.  I am a 38 year old fan of movies and movie scores, and moderate a forum that discusses movies and movie scores.  I am well aware that the music in trailers is often not from the score of the film it is advertising.

Woody Harrelson is great and I think he'll do fine here.  I even like all the goofy wigs he's been getting in all his various films and shows lately, they all kinda work.

Complaining about Woody Harrelson being cast in a SW movie reminds me of all those complaints about lines of dialogue that are too "earthy", as if SW should strictly avoid our slang. They're just big budget versions of 40s serials really.

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Also poster. JW gets billed first for "Han Solo Theme and Original Star Wars Music", then Powell for "Score Composed and Adapted"

0kqf36mg8sq01.jpg

This means we're getting more than just a new theme for Han Solo -- we're going to get adaptations of some of JW's OT themes as well?? That's exciting!

But that was to be expected: you weren't expecting a Star Wars score to be an idee fixe score, did you? Of course Powell is going to write new themes and utilize existing Williams themes when appropriate: The Imperial March, possibly the Rebel Fanfare, the Star Wars theme, the Force theme, maybe the original imperial motif - who knows.

Is it possible to have more movies with action scenes happening on daylight instead of invisible dark environnements ?
It looks surprisingly fun. Although it does not feels like Star Wars at all.

I don't know what to think.

11 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

That looks f**king dreadful. Good god what have Disney done?

I almost threw up listening to that trailer music. Jebus christ.

No chance I'm paying to see this.

I'm really curious if Williams actually watched the film before writing the theme, or if he just wrote a theme with Ford's Solo in mind (writing purely for the character he had already scored in the other 4 films).

Arguably it would be a completely different theme, depending on which it is.

This looks more interesting.  They should have started with Han & Lando as kids and made a trilogy of it, so we could see how a sweet, honest young boy becomes a thief and smuggler.

Trailer looks fine, trailer music was garbage as usual.  The only thing I can say I'm "excited" about in this movie is still Donald Glover as Lando (well, and Therm Scissorpunch.  And Denny's breakfast.)  But the movie should be dumb enough fun.

I think they're all too old considering this supposedly takes place many years before Star Wars. Ehrenreich doesn't look that much younger than '77 Ford.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

That looks f**king dreadful. Good god what have Disney done?

I almost threw up listening to that trailer music. Jebus christ.

No chance I'm paying to see this.

Yeah, I kind of agree. They obviously want to go for a Space Western but instead of being rousing, epic and mythical, they opted for the silly and forgettable Western movie.

The actor who plays Solo may look the part, but his performance seems dreadful just from those few small bits. No wonder the rumors of his casting causing production delays.

10 hours ago, Chen G. said:

But that was to be expected: you weren't expecting a Star Wars score to be an idee fixe score, did you? Of course Powell is going to write new themes and utilize existing Williams themes when appropriate: The Imperial March, possibly the Rebel Fanfare, the Star Wars theme, the Force theme, maybe the original imperial motif - who knows.

Also hoping for our favorite gangster Jabba the Hutt and his theme music!