John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

15 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

KFP 3 felt uninspired to me, possibly because that’s the one that Powell didn’t work on.

Plus Imagine Dragons worked on it so... 😉

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I'd love it if he'd do the Disney Feature, Kung Fu Panda 4 or Wallace & Gromit

I wondered about Wallace and Gromit, but it does not seem that Julian Nott has retired or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Humm... Does anyone know which Christmas animated movie might be coming out next year? Maybe something for streaming?

And why is Powell recording the music for it an year before its release? Just to use the Christmas-y spirit? Or maybe because he'll be busy next year with a lot of upcoming movies? Hopefully one of them will be Elio :lovethis:

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Humm... Does anyone know which Christmas animated movie might be coming out next year? Maybe something for streaming?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Christmas

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

And why is Powell recording the music for it an year before its release?

Fairly common practice for animated films.

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

And why is Powell recording the music for it an year before its release? Just to use the Christmas-y spirit? Or maybe because he'll be busy next year with a lot of upcoming movies? Hopefully one of them will be Elio :lovethis:

https://twitter.com/moviescorewire/status/1699711330041606426

15 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Another score!!!

Thelma The Unicorn.

Coming this Spring!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0d4ScQNXJp/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

IMG_2067.jpg

Congratulation Mr. Powell!

Along with That Christmas, you have signed a big $$$ contract with Netflix Animation.

That explains why That Christmas is being scored this week in Abbey Road as well, even though it's still due for next winter;

they are being "bundled" (I guess the price is a bundling one as well 😂)

And of course, Powell fan couldn't be happier about this news 😍

2 Powell animation scores for a year? Give me more and we'll see the return of 2008's Powell!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find that a difficult score, with Powell handling a very delicate subject respectfully. Phone Calls is just heartbreaking, particularly towards the end when it's just the vocals left and I think of all the kids who lost parents that day. I actually deleted this from my playlist the other week as it's not something I get any enjoyment from. That may be related to the fact that I visited the 9/11 memorial/museum in NYC in October and found it a very moving experience. It's the only museum I've ever been in where everyone walks round in a respectful silence, instead of fascination or enjoyment.

• 1 month later...

So apparently, Mike Knobloch, NBC Universal’s President of Music, just tagged John Powell on his Insta post for Wicked the movie:

IMG_3816.jpeg
https://www.instagram.com/p/C3OilCyP9jd/?igsh=MWRncmdyd3ZmN2pnOQ==

^^
is this a mistake/typo, or Powell will indeed deliver music for this movie?

Because it’ll be out of nowhere assignment if this is true.

(But do also notice how Mike Blonoch postioned John Powell tag in a group along with the original Wicked broadway musical director Stephen Oremus and award-winning music producer Greg Wells)

What do you guys think?

Powell doing a musical? I dunno... It'd be his first since The Road to El Dorado, right? And I think Rio 1 and 2 had some original songs as well, but in none of those cases they were written by JP IIRC.

The songs are obviously already written from the stage show.  If Powell is involved it's be for some score cues in between the songs

57 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Powell doing a musical? I dunno... It'd be his first since The Road to El Dorado, right? And I think Rio 1 and 2 had some original songs as well, but in none of those cases they were written by JP IIRC.

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

The songs are obviously already written from the stage show.  If Powell is involved it's be for some score cues in between the songs

^^ Yes, if Powell does indeed work on this, I guess he will only do the underscore between song numbers. I can imagine the credit will be like Original Music & Lyric by Stephen Schwartz, Score by John Powell.

But what’s the point anyway. Schwartz’s original music and songs are already the most iconing thing about the original broadway show, any of Powell’s  inventive input in the movie will clearly be overshadowed by it. 

But this will be an interesting assignement nonetheless. 

6 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Given his work on things like the Happy Feet movie, I think he'd do some great new arrangements of the songs as well if that's part of his remit.

That’d be wonderful! 

Let’s hope he is indeed working on this.

In fact, it’s not so far-fetched, as John Powell has already once collaborated with Stephen Schwartz in the past, providing music arrangement to one of his song in The Prince of Egypt, hear it here:

^^
You can clearly hear Powell there. This is perhaps one of his best song arrangement in my book.

So imagine Powell does the arrangement for this iconic Wicked song:

Well, Powell’s arrangement of existing song is always a gem to hear, as I’ve described in my post here:

• 3 weeks later...

Powell already said that Thelma The Unicorn and That Christmas are his only two scores this year, right?

2 a year is more than has done for 7 years from 2015 to 2022.

Last year he had two. And I'd much rather have one or two fantastic Powell scores a year than him doing so much some become lackluster

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Some nice discussion going on in the HTTYD3 topic, though it's not stricly Dragon related, so I didn't want to distract further.

My (some editing required) Powell playlist for the car:

1. 20th Century Fox Fanfare (Samba Version) from Rio 2

2. Bola Viva from Rio 2 - you'll need the song album for this

3. The Colony from Antz

4. Chasing The Bull from Endurance

5. Save El Dorado from The Road To El Dorado - get the Wonders Of The New World track, which is 3 cues split with a short silence, and just take the middle cue

6. Building The Crate from Chicken Run

7. Ride The Dragon from Shrek

8. The Fire Truck from Evolution

9. Main Titles from The Bourne Identity

10. Rhythm Of Drums from Drumline - Drummer On The Sidelines seems to be the cue that people mention, but RoT is better

11. Main Title from The Adventures Of Pluto Nash

12. End Credits from Agent Cody Banks - I splice on the start of Cody To Duty so it has the full opening, rather than fading in midway through that cue

13. The New Plan from The Italian Job

14. Nice Weather from Gigli

15. Hog Chase Parts 1 & 2 from Paycheck - use ripping software to join them together

16. Morning Run from The Bourne Supremacy - a version with a clean opening is available...

17. To The Roof (Album Version) from The Bourne Supremacy

18. Cool Chili from Be Cool

19. Escape from Robots - a version with a clean ending is available...

20. Tango de Los Asesinos from Mr. & Mrs. Smith - a version with a clean ending is available...

21. Suite from Ice Age The Meltdown - from the Film Suites Vol. 1 album. It's a shame this arrangement wasn't on the OST/can't be replicated with editing as the performance isn't as tight.

22. Finale from X-Men: The Last Stand - see if you can get the unedited version with full choir. Personally, I've merged it with the main title cue, so it ends after the main theme, rather than going into the Dark Phoenix theme.

23. Suite from Happy Feet - I re-created a custom version of The Story Of Mumble Happy Feet from the song album. There's a whole lot of micro editing going on in that track which isn't great. You do need it however. I took The Birth Of Mumble, merged it into the TSOMHF version of Adelieland (where the micro edits are good), then merged that into the full version of Bob's LED.

24. Tangiers from The Bourne Ultimatum

25. The Meeting from P.S. I Love You

26. A Jump Off from Jumper

27. Mountain Chase from Horton Hears A Who! - a version with a clean opening is available...

28. End Titles (Film Version) from Horton Hears A Who! - yes, a pain, you'll need to rip it, but it's better (even though shorter) than the album version

29. The Base/Leaving Town from Stop-Loss - use ripping software to combine them

30. Hero from Kung Fu Panda - a version with a clean ending is available, allowing you to remove the Po Wakes Up cue

31. The Moon And The Superhero from Hancock - a version with a clean opening is available...

32. Scooter Chase from Bolt - get the proper version off the promo, rather than the horribly micro edited album version

33. End Credits from Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs

34. Coming Back Around from How To Train Your Dragon

35. Bull Run / Going To Cape Horn? Take A Jacket from Knight And Day - use ripping software to combine them

36. Credits Suite from Mars Needs Moms

37. Morning Routine from Rio

38. Dragon Racing (Album Version) from How To Train Your Dragon 2

39. Flying With Mother from How To Train Your Dragon 2

40. Mine Escape from Pan

41. Flower Festival / From Train Station To Arena from Ferdinand - you can make a really nice transition between the two at the 3:00 minute mark

42. Suite from Solo: A Star Wars Story - you'll need the deluxe version. Start with the clean opening of Lando's Closet, merging it into Super Extra Deluxe End Credits Suite, merging out into the full version Corellia Chase, then back into Super Extra Deluxe End Credits Suite for the shortened Flying With Chewie.

43. Third Date from How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

44. Joining The Team from The Call Of The Wild

45. Buck Takes The Lead from The Call Of The Wild

46. Life At The Beach from Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie

47. Migration End Titles

48. The Hidden World Suite from How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

A fantastic 3 hours or so of Powell goodness.

Nice playlist.

If I may to add some comments 😄

1. Unique way to start 😄

2. This track is also a gem. Odd he didn’t put it in the score album, as this track is perhaps the highlight of Rio 2

3. How about “Z to the Rescue”? I consider that the highlight of the ost. Too long?

4-8. Agree!

9. I can’t connect to any of the Bourne stuff, especially the first one

10. Drumline is such an underrated gem. Agree with that track as well.

11-12. Agree!

13. For me, it’s “Boat Chase”

14. Can’t connect with Powell’s rom com too

15. “Hog Chase” is indeed on the best action piece Powell ever wrote

16-18. Can’t comment. Will check though (But agree with the “To The Roof”, but that’s still “a low bar” for me)

19. “Escape” is a nice summary of Robots. But “Train Station” is also a stand out, love the theme in that track:

20. Can’t comment

21. Agree. The suite album presents it better (IA 2 is such a way inferior work compared to the third movie; i found the themes in IA2 rather clunky)

22. For X3, you need to edit and stitch to make it into one big suite. Dark Phoenix theme, of course, but don’t forget this as well:

23. same, need micro edit for Happy Feet

24. Tangiers! I also ranked this among the best action tracks he ever wrote

25. The theme in this score is lovely, but there is one statement of that theme that needs to be put into the list, here:

26. Agree!

27-28. needs edit for this one. Made even worse by how the OST is split into tiny little tracks

29-33. Agree!

34. I can’t comment on HTTYD. It’s becoming too mainstream to my taste 😄

35-36. Agree. Though for Mars Needs Moms, I highly recommend you to listen to the Recording Session version. There are tons of unreleased gem! ( That version also made me rank MNM very high)

37-39. Agree

40. Hmm, needs stich & edit for this one.

41. For me, well pf course, “Madrid Finale”

42. Solo is too much 🙃

43-48. Agree!

Great list!!

I also feel these should be in there.

Rescuing Penny from Bolt

Victory Chase from Don't Worry Darling

Thneedvile Chase - The Lorax

Schism & Escape From Captivity from Ice Age 4

Let's Fly & Rebellion Of The Winged from Migration

The Mext Adventure from Mr.& Mrs. Smith

Kidnapped / Galleon Fight from Pan

Flying from Rio

Can't say I've listened to MNM much outside of the end titles track. That's a fantastic track, but I didn't feel like any other moments in the score reached that level. I'll give it another try as I really can't remember it well.

Question time - 

Does anybody know why the Robots and Mr. & Mrs. Smith song albums ended up with what sound like DEMO versions of Powell's tracks? (Robot City and Assassin's Tango).

On 14/03/2024 at 3:17 PM, Anthony said:

Some nice discussion going on in the HTTYD3 topic, though it's not stricly Dragon related, so I didn't want to distract further.

My (some editing required) Powell playlist for the car:

1. 20th Century Fox Fanfare (Samba Version) from Rio 2

2. Bola Viva from Rio 2 - you'll need the song album for this

3. The Colony from Antz

4. Chasing The Bull from Endurance

5. Save El Dorado from The Road To El Dorado - get the Wonders Of The New World track, which is 3 cues split with a short silence, and just take the middle cue

6. Building The Crate from Chicken Run

7. Ride The Dragon from Shrek

8. The Fire Truck from Evolution

9. Main Titles from The Bourne Identity

10. Rhythm Of Drums from Drumline - Drummer On The Sidelines seems to be the cue that people mention, but RoT is better

11. Main Title from The Adventures Of Pluto Nash

12. End Credits from Agent Cody Banks - I splice on the start of Cody To Duty so it has the full opening, rather than fading in midway through that cue

13. The New Plan from The Italian Job

14. Nice Weather from Gigli

15. Hog Chase Parts 1 & 2 from Paycheck - use ripping software to join them together

16. Morning Run from The Bourne Supremacy - a version with a clean opening is available...

17. To The Roof (Album Version) from The Bourne Supremacy

18. Cool Chili from Be Cool

19. Escape from Robots - a version with a clean ending is available...

20. Tango de Los Asesinos from Mr. & Mrs. Smith - a version with a clean ending is available...

21. Suite from Ice Age The Meltdown - from the Film Suites Vol. 1 album. It's a shame this arrangement wasn't on the OST/can't be replicated with editing as the performance isn't as tight.

22. Finale from X-Men: The Last Stand - see if you can get the unedited version with full choir. Personally, I've merged it with the main title cue, so it ends after the main theme, rather than going into the Dark Phoenix theme.

23. Suite from Happy Feet - I re-created a custom version of The Story Of Mumble Happy Feet from the song album. There's a whole lot of micro editing going on in that track which isn't great. You do need it however. I took The Birth Of Mumble, merged it into the TSOMHF version of Adelieland (where the micro edits are good), then merged that into the full version of Bob's LED.

24. Tangiers from The Bourne Ultimatum

25. The Meeting from P.S. I Love You

26. A Jump Off from Jumper

27. Mountain Chase from Horton Hears A Who! - a version with a clean opening is available...

28. End Titles (Film Version) from Horton Hears A Who! - yes, a pain, you'll need to rip it, but it's better (even though shorter) than the album version

29. The Base/Leaving Town from Stop-Loss - use ripping software to combine them

30. Hero from Kung Fu Panda - a version with a clean ending is available, allowing you to remove the Po Wakes Up cue

31. The Moon And The Superhero from Hancock - a version with a clean opening is available...

32. Scooter Chase from Bolt - get the proper version off the promo, rather than the horribly micro edited album version

33. End Credits from Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs

34. Coming Back Around from How To Train Your Dragon

35. Bull Run / Going To Cape Horn? Take A Jacket from Knight And Day - use ripping software to combine them

36. Credits Suite from Mars Needs Moms

37. Morning Routine from Rio

38. Dragon Racing (Album Version) from How To Train Your Dragon 2

39. Flying With Mother from How To Train Your Dragon 2

40. Mine Escape from Pan

41. Flower Festival / From Train Station To Arena from Ferdinand - you can make a really nice transition between the two at the 3:00 minute mark

42. Suite from Solo: A Star Wars Story - you'll need the deluxe version. Start with the clean opening of Lando's Closet, merging it into Super Extra Deluxe End Credits Suite, merging out into the full version Corellia Chase, then back into Super Extra Deluxe End Credits Suite for the shortened Flying With Chewie.

43. Third Date from How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

44. Joining The Team from The Call Of The Wild

45. Buck Takes The Lead from The Call Of The Wild

46. Life At The Beach from Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie

47. Migration End Titles

48. The Hidden World Suite from How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

A fantastic 3 hours or so of Powell goodness.

Nice selection. I did a nice 1 hour 10 compilation as I always feel once it starts getting to multiple hours, it starts getting close to just putting on John Powell > shuffle... (not meant as a criticism at all I would add, just a personal thing!). However, I did cheat a bit by putting the HTTYD scores into their own compilation and may do the same for the Ice Age scores too, although harder for them given that many tracks on album run into each other. One score neither of us included was I Am Sam, which I remember being the first time I really took notice of his music (surprising given that's a relatively uncharacteristic effort in terms of being an intimate drama score). It's a lovely, low key score that's quite a way from many of his other scores, but is well worth a listen. I'd have to give it another spin to determine what might be the most representative track/s for inclusion.

On the subject of unclean endings (as it were) I actually used the join tracks feature to re-rip Horton which results in an 18 track album. The only downside is that the track lengths are somewhat uneven, as there's a significant number that are around a couple of minutes (which aren't connected to the surrounding tracks), but two of the combination tracks end up being over 9 minutes. I started looking at doing the same for X-Men: The Last Stand and the earlier Ice Age scores, but never got round to it. May have to revisit.

Although I wanted to try and keep my playlist having one track from each film, there were a few that are just too damn enjoyable not to include as well, therefore I also added:

Divorce from Two Weeks Notice
Opening Titles from The Italian Job
Main Title from Paycheck
The Next Adventure from Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Edit: there's actually a great transition from Assassin's Tango into The Next Adventure in the film edit of the credits)
For X-Men, I swapped Finale And End Credits for the film version of Bathroom Titles
SUV Chase from Hancock
Becoming Michael J. Fox from Still
Jamaica from Migration

• 2 weeks later...

Why I love John Powell: here's he using samba percussion for a movie that doesn't have anything to do with Brazilian culture! And that one year before he actually scored a movie set in Brazil. 

It's the same for me, with every listen I seem to notice a new slightly hidden main theme statement (or just ones I've forgotten since the last listen :P) and the obvious ones get better and better.

It was a firm favourite for me as soon as I heard it, and a wonderful album. A quick skim through the film once suggested to me it was an overachieving score in general.

So as not to derail the Danny Elfman thread with a “yeah that’s great but I want this” comment, the release of his percussion concerto and the fairly decent rate of concert work output alongside his film work reminded me how much I wish JP would get on and write something else! His Prussian Requiem is such a brilliant work (as is The Prize is Still Mine) it’s a crying shame he’s not been busy writing more. Perhaps inspiration hasn’t struck again but it seems unlikely. I can’t imagine what he might write but hey, concertos are all the rage, why not one of them?!

I'm 95% sure Powell is one of the two composers Elfman is working with to create a new classical work called 'Trio': three composers writing for solo violin (Sandy Cameron), solo voice and piano.

Powell has been writing an opera with Gavin Greenaway.

Release date on the site of 5 Cat Studios currently has it TBD, but it's been announced for a while, so should be sometime this year or next year.

It's called "An Englishman, An Irishman and A Frenchman"

https://5catstudios.com/listen