What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the movie or the girl.

The first Disney I saw when I was young traumatized me, it was Bambi.

Many (many!) years later, I decided to give Disney a second chance by watching The Lion King.

What a bad idea!

11 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer

This is such a good score. But the album is horrible.

I think it's a superbly curated album. As with K2, I love those long suite tracks. And then ending majestically on the powerful "Roll Tide".

44 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer

This is such a good score. But the album is horrible. I hope we get an offical expansion in the near future

Yeah the early Zimmer action scores don't have really good album and this one is clearly the worst from them

Huh, I like complete scores as much as anyone, but always thought the Crimson Tide OST album was very well put together, just like The Rock's

The Luzhin Defence (Alexandre Desplat) - I seems a bit churlish to conclude that early Desplat was perhaps a bit more memorable, but this, and Girl with a Pearl Earring, in particular, are superb. His style is fully there but the thematic material is more memorable and there's just a bit more variety and imagination. Don't get me wrong, still love his music but the hit rate is a bit more variable, which brings me to... Airlines, mixing a couple of new concert works, notably a fine work based on Pelléas et Mélisande and the titular work for solo flute which is fine, but somewhat less approachable. The film selections, arranged for the album, are excellent and always makes me appreciate Desplat again. Hopefully he does a further volume and makes time to write some more concert works. A bit like Danny Elfman, writing for the concert hall distils his style down and the writing is more focussed when you don't have to fill up 2 hours of movie with underscore.

Abominable (Lalo Schifrin) - I really wanted to like this as an orchestral "comedy" horror score, but it's pretty slow going despite a few more entertaining tracks by the end.

Batman & Robin (Elliot Goldenthal) - Shame it's not seen a proper release as there's some good stuff in there beyond the reprises from Batman Forever.

John Williams - The Eiger Sanction (Film recording ala Intrada)

Boy, I hadn't listened to this in some months, and the time away led to me re-appreciate it all over again.  What a fun score with some nice textures Williams wouldn't do much more of again

John Williams - The Rise of Skywalker (OST Album)

Nice timing that just after we've been talking about how this OST album compares to the whole score in another thread, my jewel case version arrived from Japan.  I listened to it all the way through, my first time listening to this presentation in a very long time (having been listening to OST/FYC combo edits and/or Blu Ray rips only for a while when I want to hear anything from this score).  My verdict is that it really is not a very good OST album.  The first half or so is pretty good, with most of the score's ideas all give adequate introduction and some development.  But then I really started getting turned off my the second half, which just seems to kind of jump all over the place from idea to idea without a good flow, and the worst part for me was the straight retreads of old Star Wars music that fill up most of the final tracks.  I think one could cut a delicious 76 minute album of brand new material he composed for this film that would be very satisfying, but this isn't it

Well I'm not a fan of long and never-ending suites which composed Crimson Tides, The Rock or The Peacemaker.

Wonder Woman 84 by Hans Zimmer

Probably the only things that's good in the movie. Simply love this score too bad that they never released a proper CD for it

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Heartbeeps, just the main and end titles, because I've had the themes stuck in my head out of nowhere for the past few days. It's been laughed and and ridiculed, and still is, and yes the full score (as I remember) and even bits of the titles have plenty of goofy synth stuff (which doesn't change the fact that the Crimebuster material is great fun in all its campiness). But the themes are classic Williams, and so are the arrangements, even if they're a bit run of the mill. I'd be happy if we got more scores these days that were at least half as good.

If you don't love those synths then what's the point? :D

2 hours ago, Jay said:

John Williams - The Rise of Skywalker (OST Album)

Nice timing that just after we've been talking about how this OST album compares to the whole score in another thread, my jewel case version arrived from Japan.

There's also a European jewel case edition.

Jed Kurzel's Alien Covenant.

I saw the film a few days ago on Disney+ (which I enjoyed) and the music quickly grew on me. Stylistically, if you didn't like Streitenfeld's Prometheus work, you'll like this even less, but I really like this style. It's a combination of harmless piano material, string/brass/synth soundscapes, a handful of action cues, and quite a lot of quite harsh, pulsing synths. I can't explain why, but this sort of scoring appeals to me and worked great in the film. Some nice interpretations of Goldsmith's theme without just straight reprisals. The film also has a needledrop from Streitenfeld's score in one scene.

Two bits musically stood out - Chest Burster, an ethereal take on a tinty creature bursing out of someone's chest, and Cargo Lift, a percussive take on an action cue which is somewhere between an orchestral approach and RCP (somewhat different on album - thankfully the promo has the film version).

I've never really listened to Alien or Aliens, and I also enjoy Frizzell's Resurrection, so you can glean from that where my stylistic preferences lie.

I strikes me as a bit odd which cues Kurzel dropped from the album, given that if you like his ambient/minimalist style to begin with, I think you'll like the unreleased bits too. I added some cues from the promo and ended up with a CD's worth of score containing everything I want (including two versions of two cues)

7 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

I LOVE THIS SCORE SO MUCH!!!! The themes are all incredible.

The action music, as always with Goldsmith, is terrific.

Thanks to your post, I decided to revisit this score today, and it's simply wonderful. It has some amazing themes, even though I wish we could hear more of Lancelot's swashbuckling theme. 

One of the best Goldsmith scores of the later part of his career.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

my jewel case version arrived from Japan. 

Sorry, I remember there was a talk about it.

This cd is in a jewel case in Japan only or in Europe too?

Wildlife Documentaries

James Powell - HTTYD (The Deluxe Edition)
James Powell - HTTYD II (The Deluxe Edition)
Randy Edelman - DragonHeart (1996)

James Horner - Willow (1988)

John Carter by Michael Giacchino

A really nice score among Giacchino's finest score

Tomorrowland by Michael Giacchino

Simply terrific! A top 5 Giacchino for me. I really hope that one day he'll be given another sci-fi movie like this to do

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - James Newton Howard

The release of the third movie made me revisit the score for the first. And it's still great, one of JNH's best fantasy/adventure score of the last ten years (alongside Maleficent). "Inside the Case" is one of my favorite cues he ever wrote.

The Beast (Don Davis) - I think I was sent this as a promo back in the day but haven't listened to it in ages and don't really remember much about it, but was pleasantly surprised that it makes a fine companion to Jurassic Park III as an enjoyable orchestral action/adventure score. OK, it doesn't have JW's themes to lift it, or something like Davis' own lovely family theme, but it's still a lot of fun with some extensive action cues that actually remind me more of Jerry Goldsmith than anyone, which is rarely a bad thing.

Trevor Jones - Brassed Off! (OST, the 6 tracks from the original score)

Danny Elfman - Good Will Hunting (the score)
Hans Zimmer - As Good As It Gets (OST, the 6 tracks from the original score)

The Public Eye (Intrada) by Jerry Goldsmith

A nice thriller score, lots of Basic Instinct vibes in it so that's definitly a plus. Don't how it was rejected, the other one must be hell of a score

Shamus (Intrada) by Jerry Goldsmith

Overall pretty good with some really fun moment

Congo (Intrada) by Jerry Goldsmith

Sigh of Relief (Denzel Washington).gif

18 hours ago, publicist said:

I was made aware of my own 'Raggedy Man' suite from years ago. It's so rarely on my menu, i took the chance and it's always an enchanting pleasure to revisit it. Written a year before 'Poltergeist' and 'The Secret of NIMH', it foreshadows both: the lullaby, the scherzo-esque impressionist touches, and occasionally the threatening Stravinsky terrors, mixed with a rural Waltons vibe.

Too bad it's brickwalled af on the Varese Encore. It really prevents me from revisiting it more often.

On 12/04/2022 at 6:10 PM, May the Force be with You said:

Congo (Intrada) by Jerry Goldsmith

Sigh of Relief (Denzel Washington).gif

Revisited that too, recently. It is really a good meditative score during the calmer parts with nice instrumentation, but the action-heavy cues are really underwhelming and Goldsmith on auto-pilot. Sadly, the film didn't allow for more longer tracks.

10 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The Egg Travels still remains one of James Newton Howard's best cues after 22 years.

It will always remain as one of my all time favourite scores.

Most definitely. Here's my own semi-wobbly recording of the live performance of this piece in Ghent in 2012:

My personal positive surprise in 2013: Alex Ebert's lyrical/impressionist/spherical score for a boring survival drama at sea with Bob Redford. Ebert's pop background secures a fresh breeze in regards of how to approach such a thing musically, on the other hand he never betrays the story's philosophical depth. It's light and feathery and utilizes whistling, strummed guitar, electronically altered voices etc. But the musical DNA still feels like its own thing, not something a pop artist whipped up on the go. Recommended.

58 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Chicken Run - John Powell & Harry Gregson-Williams

Like Dinosaur, another score for an animated film from 2000 which I absolutely love. It's just so much fun. I could listen to Main Titles, Flight Training & Building The Crate on repeat for hours. I love it!!!

I love Up on the Roof. Very touching and lovely.