Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

Not really. I suspect a major reason for the staged setup of the "underwater" sequences is simply because the technique allows for far greater control, especially in terms of the actor's performance. The character can be shown to have slightly exaggerated facial expressions - making for greater dramatic storytelling and a sense of fantastical hyper-realism, in keeping with the tone of the source material. Such an approach is perfectly acceptable, when handled properly.

Apparently Jackson likes that look because the deleted scenes from King Kong feature similar looking underwater shots.

For Your Eyes Only had a similar looking underwater scene as well.

Apparently Jackson likes that look because the deleted scenes from King Kong feature similar looking underwater shots.

For Your Eyes Only had a similar looking underwater scene as well.

I was just about to mention FYEO. I never had a problem with those underwater scenes, and it wasn't until years later I found out they weren't actually filmed underwater. It did make me appreciate the effort that went into it to achieve the look, however. I do recall thinking, "Did Roger Moore really film those underwater?" back in the day, but never knew for sure it wasn't underwater.

I've never had a problem with any of the underwater shots from LotR. The only shot that looks really fake to me is when Aragorn is on the crumbling bridge in Moria and he's grabbing to stop from falling.

In general, I agree with you. The night time sequences suffer most - that artificially darkened look makes everything feel slightly staged. Instead of filming night time scenes in daylight, I'd have preferred it if they'd just done it the old fashioned way

Isn't daytime night actually the old fashioned way? and it doesn't have to be 'digital tinkered' with either, they usually just underexpose a couple of stops I believe. Its the hard shadows that are always the giveaway.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I don't know what to make of this. On the one hand, I hope crazy partly translates to a better third act than KOTCS. On the other hand, after KOTCS, I've got a hankering for something that's not quite so lightweight--even just as much character depth as LC would be more than welcome. Also, crazy hopefully does not translate to too many set pieces played for laughs.

I wouldn't read too much into crazy. I doubt Shia was really thinking about what it meant when he said it. He probably just used it as a generic complement, or instead of "exciting." I think the importance of this article is in showing that Shia is still on board (what with the comments he made about how they botched KotCS) and that the film is in the script writing stage.

"It's like sex with Kobe Bryant. It's... It's gonna happen."

Yes, but people can sue Kobe Bryant for personal anguish after he rapes them. Nobody can sue Lucas for raping their childhoods.

I didn't have any problem with LaBeouf--I actually felt he did a good job with the type of role that could've easily been an annoying sidekick thing. Really, the only thing lacking is some serious reconnecting material in the script--the family's reunion and acceptance of each other should've been taken a good bit more seriously than it was. I don't have any beef with Mutt himself, though, as portrayed by LaBeouf.

Same here. Shia LaBeouf is easy to poke fun at because of some of the films he's been involved in, but he's actually a talented young actor, and I thought he did just fine with the role he was given in KOTCS.

While I agree with the previous 3 posts, I could take him or leave him in the next film. Quite honestly the scenes that did work in KOTCS did not involve Marion. If he is part of Indy V, I wouldn't mind if it was a diminished role. Please make the next one be about Indiana Jones and not about his growing entourage.

While I agree with the previous 3 posts, I could take him or leave him in the next film. Quite honestly the scenes that did work in KOTCS did not involve Marion. If he is part of Indy V, I wouldn't mind if it was a diminished role. Please make the next one be about Indiana Jones and not about his growing entourage.

Fat chance. Considering his love for Last Crusade, Spielberg obviously thinks an Indiana Jones movie is a Raiders-wanabee story with family issues thrown in.

You know, there's plenty of humor in Raiders. But the sequels feel increasingly satirical. Doom pulls off the satire best. Last Crusade and especially KOTCS, not so much. But Last Crusade at least had Sean Connery, a father/son arc that felt genuine and real emotion. Shia is such a fake Indiana Jones character. He's not a bad performer by any means, but he's NOT the son of Indiana Jones. Are you kidding?

The user comment below the "article" is much more fascinating:

I am black, you are white.

I am coffee, you are milk.

We will always complement each other.

{ B_l_a_c_k_w_h_i_t_e_C_u_p_i_d //C_0_ M }

You may have a try…

• 3 months later...

Indiana Jones & The Arthritic Twinge

Harrison Ford has hinted that another Indiana Jones film is on the way. It'll be the fifth in the series, and will surely have to take into account the fact that its star is now 68.

However, film-goers can still expect to be on the edge of their seats as rival archeologists battle for possession of a valuable collection of ancient bones (this time played by Ford).

Hey they could do an Indiana Jones/Star Trek crossover with the Indiana Jones and the Search for Bones. DeForest Kelley playing Bones could be computer generated character in the spirit of Jar Jar Binks.

Dammit Jones! I'm a doctor not an ancient relic! You and your archaelogist logic!

Or better yet! Call it Jones & Bones!

I thought Ford did a fine job with the role in KOTCS. (With the exception of one or two lines he delivered pretty oddly.) The film had many flaws, but its handling of the main character's age wasn't one of 'em.

We should all look so good at that age.

I thought Ford did a fine job with the role in KOTCS. (With the exception of one or two lines he delivered pretty oddly.)

;)

Any particular standouts, Joe? I agree, there were a couple of strange ones "The way you're sinking your teeth into those wubble-us's" :lol:

We should all look so good at that age.

I thought Ford did a fine job with the role in KOTCS. (With the exception of one or two lines he delivered pretty oddly.)

;)

Any particular standouts, Joe? I agree, there were a couple of strange ones "The way you're sinking your teeth into those wubble-us's" :lol:

There were a couple I noticed... mainly 'Put your hands down will ya, you're embarassing us' and 'Part time' were different and worse takes than were in the trailer. Maybe Paramount's vault is full of better line readings that might make it a better picture.

Don't kid yourselves, there were many, many terrible lines and deliveries.

"Somewhere, your grandpa is laughing."

"Drop dead, comrade."

"All those years we spent spying on the Reds? I thought we were friends."

"Hello? Can I use your phone?! WAIT A MINUTE...!"

etc.

Well if they are going to make another Indy film they should better do it fast. Harrison no matter how good he looks for his age and no matter how many stunts he can still perform himself, is not getting any younger.

There were a couple I noticed... mainly 'Put your hands down will ya, you're embarassing us' and 'Part time' were different and worse takes than were in the trailer. Maybe Paramount's vault is full of better line readings that might make it a better picture.

Well, it's a good reason to release 10th anniversary edition with the picture presented "as originally intended". ;)

Karol

I remember being very offput when he said "Orellana himself". the way he said it sounded like a bug had just crawled up his butt, and he was enjoying it.