Taika Waititi to Direct New ‘Star Wars’ Film

Jay

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Sadder than his forays into Marvel?

I’m glad that he hasn’t gone full blockbuster, but I am glad he’s brought his sensibilities in to those movies.  The fact that he is using his “between” time to do things like Reservation Dogs and Our Flag Means Death shows that he hasn’t lost it.

I enjoy Taika the Actor to be honest. Our Flag was great.

• 8 months later...

The only film of his that I really loved was JoJo Rabbit.  

I'm not surprised the Jenkins & Feige films have been scrapped, as I suspect the Johnson's will be as well.

7 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

The only film of his that I really loved was JoJo Rabbit.  

What We Do in the Shadows is fun, and lead to an even better TV series

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is really good!

His Thor movies are ok, forgettable fun basically

Jojo Rabbit isreally good!

I haven't seen his first two features, Boy and Eagle Vs Shark

I'm looking forward to Next Goal Wins.  I had not realized that outside of the last X-Men movie, Fassbender hasn't been in any movies since 2017!

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Fassbender hasn't been in any movies since 2017!

Hmmmmm. Wow. I had no idea either! His star was on the rise.

I wonder what's up? Rehab?

Capture_d’écran_2022-12-29_à_09.25.59.jpg

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Hmmmmm. Wow. I had no idea either! His star was on the rise.

I wonder what's up? Rehab?

He has two films coming out this year (The Killer and Next Goal Wins), and another in post-production but with no release date yet (Kung Fury 2) and is also executive producing a series for Netflix (The Kitchen). So he's definitely not been inactive. It just sounds like he's been a bit more choosy with projects since X-Men. Can't say I blame him.

• 6 months later...

Four years without a theatrical release doesn't feel like much of an absence when they keep pumping content out on Disney+. 

Ford v. Ferrari is one of my favorite films of the last ten years, but after Indy they're really leaving Mangold with a Star Wars project?

Obviously they need to figure out what they want (and what we want) Star Wars to be. I've figured out that I want the War. The "period of civil war in the galaxy". So I love Star Wars - Jedi, Rebels, Solo, Rogue One, and of course Andor. Which is a fairly diverse group of tones and styles (with Andor somewhat breaking the curve).

People raved about Knights of the Old Republic (video game) but I just couldn't connect with the world. It just feels like Star Wars without the Star Wars. (Of course I've heard people say the same about Andor. Those poor poor people.) To a lesser extent I felt the same watching the Prequels. The Sequels felt a little more like Star Wars but they were stupid.

The prequels were flawed, but they were telling a great story. The sequels were a senseless collection of partly entertaining and partly painful to watch moments from no to increasingly bad ideas.

In a way I lost my abbility to enjoy watching Star Wars. Everytime I watch New Star Wars content I do that with the mindset "What are the going to fuck up this time. Even though I pretty much enjoyed the 3rd Mandalorian season and Bad Batch and the last Clone Wars season. 

I don’t trust the source cited in that article, but I’m sure he’s probably also correct in this case so whatever.

Lucasfilm has a case of mega analysis paralysis.  They need to hire people, let them make a movie, and release it.  Maybe it’ll be good, maybe it’ll be bad! Who cares!  It’s not like they aren’t releasing mid-quality stuff even after the backstage drama. You don’t have a micromanage every decision and squeeze out every creative partner until you end up with something right down the middle of the road.

The prequels have grown on me over the years. The execution might be flawed, but there's a sincerity behind them, because they're the vision of one man that wasn't subject to interference. Can't say the same about the sequel trilogy. Too many agendas to satisfy, and too many cooks in the kitchen.

23 hours ago, crumbs said:

Taika Waititi’s ‘Star Wars’ Movie is “Dead”

I'm thankful for that. Judging by how Love & Thunder turned out, it would probably be a stupid comedy that would make fun of every Star Wars trope, as in "isn't all of this so ridiculous? LOL :lol:). This "don't take anything seriously" style of comedy was embraced by Marvel, but hopefully it won't spread anymore to other franchises.

Not long ago Waititi was a fanboy darling. The fickle fan base has turned on him... All it takes is one dud.

After Dial of Destiny, Mangold's lost some lustre too. The devotees who were saying "In Mangold we trust!" will probably reserve judgement on his Star Wars movie until they actually see it.

7 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Not long ago Waititi was a fanboy darling. The fickle fan base has turned on him... All it takes is one dud.

After Dial of Destiny, Mangold's lost some lustre too. The devotees who were saying "In Mangold we trust!" will probably reserve judgement on his Star Wars movie until they actually see it.

As I've said before: I don't get it. All the things I hated about Thor: Ragnarok were in Love and Thunder.

I need to see more bad Mangold to see if Dial was a fluke. Or maybe he can't work with the monstrosity that must be Lucasfilm.

51 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I thought Love and Thunder was okay - for me, the big difference between the two was that Ragnarok had flow as a movie and L&T didn’t for the most part. 

I thought Ragnarok was very sloppily structured actually. Remove the whole Sakaar segment from the film and you still don't affect the main story in any significant way, if at all. Funny people say Waititi didn't care about Love and Thunder because it does actually feel more like his other films, for better or worse. It wasn't great but I quite liked it, overindulgence and all.

Karol

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I thought Ragnarok was very sloppily structured actually. Remove the whole Sakaar segment from the film and you still don't affect the main story in any significant way, if at all.

Karol

Except for the huge jump in progression of events + characters showing up out of nowhere, I suppose you are right.

The biggest issue with Love and Thunder is the undercutting of every single dramatic moment with comedy (and I use that word lightly, considering most of the "jokes" barely register a smile).

That's long been a criticism of Marvel movies but they went completely overboard here; almost every character plays the comic relief, meaning nothing has any dramatic weight. Thor is reduced to a bumbling, moronic buffoon, reminiscent of Homer in modern Simpsons.

The icing on the cake was shoehorning a cancer narrative into this epileptic seizure of tonal deafness.

My biggest problem with Love and Thunder (which again, I thought was fine overall), was that it had a similarly episodic “remove and it won’t matter” nature as Ragnarok - or even moreso in my opinion - but unlike Ragnarok for me, a lot of the stuff was both unfunny and uninteresting.  Thinking of the sequence with the Ancient Greek gods mainly, but also kind of the opening Guardians stuff.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

giphy.webp

Sounds like a great idea, why make a film thats entertaining and everyone can enjoy when you could just try to piss them off instead. 

15 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Sounds like a great idea, why make a film thats entertaining and everyone can enjoy when you could just try to piss them off instead. 

There's people who think his first Thor movie is awesome and in some cases the only good Thor movie. For exactly these reasons.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I like Waititi’s comic sensibility and the New Star Wars movie that I liked the best was the one that pissed people off the most, so as long as he’s pissing those people off, I reckon I’ll be fine.

Rise of Skywalker?

16 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thanks, Jay.

genuinely can't tell one MCU film from another.

It's like going from one Macdonald's to the next; they are exactly the same.

Well for your example you picked two films about the same character by the same director. Although for inexplicable reasons many people consider one to be the best of the MCU and the other among the worst even though they are strikingly similar. (NO I will not stop going on about it.)

If you can't tell Thor Ragnarok and Captain America: The Winter Soldier apart then I can't help you.

1 minute ago, Mr. Hooper said:

f 'Empire' and 'Jedi' were made today, I doubt Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand would've even been considered. They were sturdy, working directors, who didn't have the flash of a Waititi.

Hasn't the problem been that the sturdy directors want nothing to do with SW?

16 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Personally, I don't want an idiosyncratic writer/director to give his "spin on Star Wars". Whatever sensibilities a director may bring, they should be reined back in service of the story, and not swerve too far from the mothership.

Funny thing is, I think Star Wars needs someone to do something exciting with Star Wars. I just don't think making fun of it is exciting.

I want a really wild take within very narrowly defined parameters. :) Easy, right?

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I just don't think making fun of it is exciting.

Waititi's pigeonholed himself as a "funny guy", so he must feel obligated to deliver laughs... But with Star Wars he would just need to rein it back and choose quality over laugh-a-minute quantity, and the humour shouldn't be mocking as you say.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I want a really wild take within very narrowly defined parameters. :) Easy, right?

Right. Star Wars fans are not hard to please at all. :lol:

Waititi is certainly very talented but even before Thor 4, I wouldn’t have thought him a good choice for Star Wars… and now we have Thor 4, which is awful (which probably isn’t all Taika’s fault, but a lot of it is).

6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

There's people who think his first Thor movie is awesome and in some cases the only good Thor movie. For exactly these reasons.

I like Ragnarok and found it to be entertaining, it has its problems of course but knowhere near as bad as Love and Thunder. The first Thor is easily the best one as it seems to treat Thor himself seriously and much of the jokes come more from fish out of water, rather than him being the butt of the joke. I love What We Do In The Shadows (film) and Jojo Rabbit, so don't understand what happened with Love and Thunder? And never reliesed there were people that liked Ragnarok because it pissed people off?

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Waititi's pigeonholed himself as a "funny guy", so he must feel obligated to deliver laughs... But with Star Wars he would just need to rein it back and choose quality over laugh-a-minute quantity, and the humour shouldn't be mocking as you say.

Star Wars is funnier when other people are mocking it, like with Spaceballs, Simpsons, Robot Chicken and Family Guy, but Star Wars Detours (well what little has been released) looked painfully unfunny. Not to say that Star Wars should be all serious, there's tons of jokes and lighthearted moments throughout all of it, just that a Star Wars self parody would probably be cringe (as kids these days say) 

Like Irvin Kershner said about The Empire Strikes Back: He knew, the movie required humor, but no gags.

This still applies to Star Wars, I would say. But still I would have loved to see Miller's and Lord's Solo cut. I don't believe, tha they treated SW with less respect than Waititi will do.