John Williams/Stéphane Denève to conduct the Saito Kinen Orchestra in Tokyo, Japan (Sept. 5, 2023)

AOP

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

While DG throw this superfluous VPO edition and useless merchandise at us...

Wiener Philharmoniker: Deluxe Edition Volume 2 von Wiener Philharmoniker - Boxset (20 CDs) jetzt im Deutsche Grammophon Store

Since 1898 von Deutsche Grammophon - Tasche jetzt im Deutsche Grammophon Store

I'll agree this is all superfluous, but it sure does look nice (well, except the tote bag). What is that green thing that looks like 12 CDs? And where do you get that premium-looking booklet??

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

DG has learned from Disney's mistake.

No free high-res downloads?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

The concert will be available on CD and video from Gramophone in the future!

https://twitter.com/avcat_jp/status/1699054039991025743

Twitter/X's translation says (emphasis mine):

And I'm sure Gramophone will sell CDs and video media in the future.

So not really a confirmation.

Maybe a Japanese speaker can do a better translation for us

そして間違いなくグラモフォンからCD,映像メディアが将来販売されるのではないかな

3 hours ago, AOP said:

Official pictures and report (in Japanese) of the concert:

https://www.universal-music.co.jp/classics/dg125-gala-concert/news/2023-09-06/

At the encore, he performed "Raiders March" (from the movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark") and "Imperial March" (from the movie "Star Wars Episode 5 / The Empire Strikes Back"), John Williams waved hello to the crowd as he left the stage.

So no Yoda's Theme this time?

9 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

At the encore, he performed "Raiders March" (from the movie "Raiders / Lost Ark") and "Imperial March" (from the movie "Star Wars Episode 5 / The Empire Strikes Back"), John Williams waved hello to the crowd as he left the stage.

So no Yoda's Theme this time?

It was played 😊

Scroll down that page a little more - you’ll find the set list and encores

👍

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

How did he play Far and Away this time? Did he speed through the first section like in Berlin, or did he stick to the OST tempo?

This was conducted by Deneve actually.

I’m not super familiar with the differences between the OST, Berlin and Tokyo concerts… honestly, I have never been a big fan of “Far and Away.” Sorry!

In fact, I wish they had swapped it out for “Jurassic Park” 😁

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

How did he play Far and Away this time? Did he speed through the first section like in Berlin, or did he stick to the OST tempo?

And @AOP was the ritardando in HPWW as pronounced as in Berlin or just standard like in Vienna 2 and Milan?

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They didn't play anything from JP?

They have Godzilla.

44 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

And @AOP was the ritardando in HPWW as pronounced as in Berlin or just standard like in Vienna 2 and Milan?

They have Godzilla.

@BB-8, you lost me at “ritardando” - I had to google it 😂 To be honest, I’m not musically literate and I was so caught up enjoying the concert that I really wasn’t thinking about how the piece differed from other performances. I can generally tell when a wrong note has been played or they’re out of time, but aside from that, I’m not the best person to ask!

Sorry mate 😂

Best to confirm yourself when the actual recording comes out 👍

3 minutes ago, AOP said:

@BB-8, you lost me at “ritardando” - I had to google it 😂 To be honest, I’m not musically literate and I was so caught up enjoying the concert that I really wasn’t thinking about how the piece differed from other performances. I can generally tell when a wrong note has been played or they’re out of time, but aside from that, I’m not the best person to ask!

Sorry mate 😂

Best to confirm yourself when the actual recording comes out 👍

No problem...will wait until we have the recording. I think the Berlin ritardando was exceptional, most likely prepared by JW's assistant and then steered by the first violin.

Any "bells-up" observed in the horn section during the E.T. finale?

5 hours ago, BB-8 said:

No problem...will wait until we have the recording. I think the Berlin ritardando was exceptional, most likely prepared by JW's assistant and then steered by the first violin.

Any "bells-up" observed in the horn section during the E.T. finale?

To be fair, the whole concert was full of ritardando's, but the HWW one just happened to be... so good.

Awesome review @AOP! Makes me wanna sign up for Stage+ to experience it for myself...

So you settled on Italian? Was it Saizeriya? 😄

5 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Awesome review @AOP! Makes me wanna sign up for Stage+ to experience it for myself...

So you settled on Italian? Was it Saizeriya? 😄

The area in front of Suntory Hall is too posh for a “restaurant” like Saizeriya 😂

There were other nice restaurants in the building but all had counter seating so not ideal for a JW fan meetup.

Thanks for the reminder about Stage +… I need to sign up too!

On 06/09/2023 at 4:07 AM, AOP said:

My wife, who is Japanese, says that the sentence is not a confirmation that there will be a CD, etc. release.

It’s just an opinion from someone “strongly believing” that it will come out on CD, etc.

During the concert, Deneve mentioned that the concert was being recorded by DG but didn’t mention anything about how it would be released.

Like the person that tweeted the above comment, I’m sure it’s coming because Japan loves JW - as long as they have the rights to do so, I’m sure they’ll release it. Japan also loves physical media!

Fingers crossed all the same!!!

p.s VIP ticket holders got to attend the rehearsal the day before the concert - JW did not attend. At the actual concert, VIP ticket holders got a special tote bag with VIP ID card- looks cool but not sure it was worth the price! 

Japan also loves the SACD format so Ill be up for that too!

@AOP You can buy a bunch for all of us too :)

I think there is a good chance we'll get this on CD (and SACD for Japan for that matter). I think Berlin and Vienna did well for DG - beyond their expectations - and while Vienna 2 was probably too much of a repeat and would eat into their sales of the various current releases from Vienna, adding the Japan venue and orchestra would be complimentary. It would also have greater appeal in Asia. 

31 minutes ago, lairdo said:

I think there is a good chance we'll get this on CD (and SACD for Japan for that matter). I think Berlin and Vienna did well for DG - beyond their expectations - and while Vienna 2 was probably too much of a repeat and would eat into their sales of the various current releases from Vienna, adding the Japan venue and orchestra would be complimentary. It would also have greater appeal in Asia. 

Only problem: JW didn't conduct 100% of the program in Japan.

He did in Milan (the missed opportunity) and Vienna 2 (all recorded, partly released).

32 minutes ago, Steve said:

I see Stage+ offers a 7 days trial. Has anyone ever tested that?

Does the trial give you full access?

Would be convenient if they had a pay-per-view option.

56 minutes ago, Steve said:

I see Stage+ offers a 7 days trial. Has anyone ever tested that?

Yes, since yesterday. I even watched Hisashi's concert from Vienna. And I'm going to watch Vivace, this year's documentary about Anne-Sophie Mutter. 

The Tokyo concert has the advantage over Milan or Vienna 2 that it was filmed. Therefore, as a Blu-ray, it's much more important to me, even though I was in Milan.

I think it'll be released in several formats, including CD.