Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If it had been parts of the love theme from The Terminal that was quoted, your post would have made sense.

My post makes sense as someone who hadn’t read any spoilers about the movie and hadn’t been aware of any connection between Helena and Marion.

4 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Spoiler for the end of the movie:

Reveal hidden contents

Good, so it's less creepy than I thought ROTFLMAO

1 minute ago, Tydirium said:

My post makes sense as someone who hadn’t read any spoilers about the movie and hadn’t been aware of any connection between Helena and Marion.

Helena is revealed to be Marion and Basil Shaw's daughter.

So technically Helena is not Indy's god-daughter but step-daughter.

2 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

There's about as much of a connection as Yoda's Theme appearing at the end of ESB.

2 hours ago, Damien F said:

After he omitted Falcon Flight, Lando's Arrival, and the Ben Solo redemption variation of Ren's theme from TROS ost, I've given up trying to work out his logic. Thankfully, I didn't hear any unreleased cues in the movie at the level of those. There is definitely good unreleased cues but I don't think they are as much holy grails as those TROS cues are.

Falcon Flight not being on the soundtrack album for TROS still pisses me off to no end. That was probably his best action cue for the ST besides The Battle of Crait.

Even going back a few movies, still mad that The Bombing Run didn't get on the album either.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody else thinks the march in track 17 sags a bit? Kind of bottom heavy?

it sounds like a 'tighter' version of the concert suite we've heard for all these years.

but what i do love about it, is that it has it's own distinctive sound to it, and now all 5 movies have their distinguished Raiders March sound!

2 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Of course it is intentinal!

Other composers do this too. 

Ilia's theme suite from Star Trek 1979 references the main theme within it at 2:42.

Tara's theme main title from Gone With The Wind references Rhett Butler's theme within it at 2:31.

You don’t understand my point. Of course I’m aware of those references. But Helena is not Marion, and from what has been publicly revealed about the film she is Indy’s goddaughter and has no connection to Marion whatsoever. Until someone in this thread just a few minutes ago posted that there is apparently a connection in the film, it didn’t make any sense in this case.

1 minute ago, Bellosh said:

but what i do love about it, is that it has it's own distinctive sound to it, and now all 5 movies have their distinguished Raiders March sound!

Exactly! I love that all 5 versions are totally unique. A bit like the 6 different recordings of the Star Wars main title we got in that series.

3 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I hadn't read any spoilers either, it's just too far fetched that JW just happened to wrote those bars without it occurring to him they're from Marion's theme.

You don’t understand my point. Of course I’m aware of those references. But Helena is not Marion, and from what has been publicly revealed about the film she is Indy’s goddaughter and has no connection to Marion whatsoever. Until someone in this thread just a few minutes ago posted that there is apparently a connection in the film, it didn’t make any sense in this case.

See below

3 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Helena is revealed to be Marion and Basil Shaw's daughter.

So technically Helena is not Indy's god-daughter but step-daughter.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I hadn't read any spoilers either, it's just too far fetched that JW just happened to wrote those bars without it occurring to him they're from Marion's theme.

Little more than the "DNA" connections that unite themes in the various franchises JW scored.

Just like echoes of the Emperor's Theme in Rey's Theme, clearly unrelated.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I hadn't read any spoilers either, it's just too far fetched that JW just happened to wrote those bars without it occurring to him they’re from Marion's theme.

It’s not bars though, it’s just like 4-5ish notes…

I'll take 4-5 notes over lifting dozens of bars from previous scores... :unsure:

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I think it's little more than the "DNA" connection that unites themes in the various series JW has scored.

Yes, it's more than the DNA.

4 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

John Williams walks into a bar...

someone can probably answer this but does this bit (going with how Williams golden-age'd Helena's Theme) sound like something from an epic battle in like a 1930s-1950's movie?  It sounds fittingly campy!

After Listening to it a few times, track ranking!

Helena's Theme
Tuk Tuk in Tangiers
New York, 1969
Auction At Hotel L'Alantique
To Moracco
Battle of Syracuse
Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
The Airport
Archimedes' Tomb
Helena's Theme (For Violin and Orchestra) 
Centuries Join Hands
To Athens
The Grafikos

Germany, 1944
Water Ballet
Polybius Cipher
Perils in the Deep
Voller Returns

13 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Does the movie end exactly as "New York, 1969" or there are some unreleased cues? The abrupt start of the march sounds weird.

There's maybe a second more silence in the film version.

Spoiler

Marion's Theme doesn't overlap with the previous note in the film either; there's a few minutes of score-less movie before it. JW just chopped all that out of his OST track then overlapped the cues.

16 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Does the movie end exactly as "New York, 1969" or there are some unreleased cues? The abrupt start of the march sounds weird.

The abrupt start of the march is how the end credits start in the movie too. There isn't a more graceful transition to it.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If it had been parts of the love theme from The Terminal that was quoted, your post would have made sense.

Did someone say "Love Theme from The Terminal"??! :lovethis:

13 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Do we know who the principal trumpet is on this recording?

Principal trumpet is Jon Lewis. Also includes Dan Rosenboom, Barry Perkins and Rob Schaer. First recording I think he's done in a while without Dave Washburn too.