SPOILER TALK: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Jay

One thing that I noticed but still not bothered by it...and wondering if anyone else thought it...

The very end where Indy grabs the hat off the clothesline.  He grabs it really fast and very strong.  No way that's the injured and recovering Indy we just saw.  But if they were attempting to break the fourth wall and essentially tell us 'thats NOT all folks' (Looney tunes circle too).... doesn't Indy grabbing the hat in a normal way also give us the audience THE EXACT same feeling?

I don't mind them telling us 'hey this is all fake", like I don't.  But I also know Spielberg would never give you ambiguous moments like that but they'd still have all the charm in the world.

So regardless, the point of grabbing the hat is tell us 'indy is never done'...but was it right to do in such a comedic way? To tell the audience that the Indy in that apartment is the Indy we used to know?  It seems like a casual viewer might not even pick up on that.

But there's no way that old hurt Indy in there grabs a hat that fast like that.

I would never pin my fedora to a clothesline. Honestly the thought of the clothespins making impressions in the wet felt made me wince. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Datameister said:

It was just an awkward final shot all around. I hated the goofy iris out. Big tonal disconnect from what was otherwise a pretty bittersweet and subdued ending.

Yes!  Which makes me wonder if it was an intentional breaking of the 4th wall.  Like why?  They never did in any of the other movies.

Spielberg's magic was missed in certain parts.  

We as the audience still get the same reaction if he grabs the hat normally.

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

My admittedly fan servicey ending rolls the credits over the final scene, eventually fading to black, consistent with the other films. 

I've been thinking about your ending and while it is indeed very fan servicey, I think I would have liked it better than what we got. It's certainly more cheerful than "Indy gets to process his deep grief and heal from near-death as he begins rebuilding his relationship with Marion after ending his teaching career with a whimper in a world where he's become irrelevant."

The more I think about it, the more I'm hating the fact that it ended that way. The film as a whole wasn't a TROS-level disappointment for me, but ending Dr. Jones's story on such a glum note is a surprising mistake that's hard to look past.

14 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Its so sad they didnt go globetrotting together in dial of destiny. specially if that was spielbergs original idea

Sounds boring.

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

The grabbing of the hat clearly indicated that Marion and Indy were going at it in the apartment and decided to turn it up a notch.

Sex at his age ... surely his most perilous adventure yet!  

Considering the Indy series as a whole, I find that both Crystal Skull and Dial of Destiny have the same function: an epilogue of sorts, in which "old tired Indy" goes from being depressed at how the world is changing to finding a new family and a reason to life. And in that regard, I think Crystal Skull is a much more satisfactory epilogue than Dial of Destiny, because it's actually a happy ending for Indy. Heck, even the final shot of Indy grabbing the hat works much better in Skull!

That being said, the Indy films are essentially independent films, so I like that each film has its own sidekicks. And Dial is a fun and enjoyable film! Just not the best ending to the series.  

They should have done an entirely different plotline.

You can even use part of the same story. Here goes:

Indy is retiring, divorced and sad that Mutt, who became estranged to him, has died in the war.  Indy is ready to move to another country to escape it all. Helena, who is the same character she is now, is having a meetup with Indy asking him where he'll go. He says he won't tell anyone. Helena asks Indy if he knows how Mutt died. He says he died in an ambush. Helena says she doesn't believe that, that she feels he's still alive. Indy asks why. She tells Indy that she received a letter from Mutt or Mutts army buddy, that Mutt discovered something in the jungle that he was killed for. Indy is disgusted she would keep that from him. She says she had a closer relationship with Mutt (maybe romantic), and that Mutt wanted Indy not to know about any of it and his discovery because he knew Indy would come for him. And that some things are better left alone because it doesn't make the Situation better. But there was a piece of an artefact with the letter and she wanted Indy to come with her to finish what Mutt started. Indy says something like "You know damn well I'm not coming to hunt some damn voodoo story."

He finishes his drink, gets up and leaves. Helena asks

"Where are you going?"

"To Vietnam to honor the memory of my son - and if you care as you claim you do, you better come with me!"

Then you can have shenanigans that Helena wants the artefact to sell yadda yadda.

Then Indy finds out that Mutt didn't die, he travelled to the past. Then Indy follows him to the past, then you can have the shit with Indy wanting to stay in the past actually make sense,then you can have both Mutt and Indy wake up in New York 1969.

Better ending: Indy takes the hat, leaves the hospital with Marion in his arm, and puts it on Mutt's head, Raiders March, the end.

That's a much more fulfilling story, and I came up with it between dinner and taking a loo.

On 7/7/2023 at 8:39 AM, Laserschwert said:

The grabbing of the hat clearly indicated that Marion and Indy were going at it in the apartment and decided to turn it up a notch.

Thats what i thought

On 7/7/2023 at 2:39 AM, Laserschwert said:

Which works as a reversal callback to the scene in Raiders where they are getting into it and Marion flips the hat off his head. 

The killing worked for me, but it did stick out as different from the previous movies and it doesn’t surprise me it might not work for everybody.

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Watched out of sheer curiosity.

Sad old Indy is sad, no surprises there. My conceptual objection to the movie stands unchanged. In and of itself, its not a bad motion picture but it is a very peculiar one. I think the moment that underlined just how much I associate Indiana Jones with Spielberg and that retro aesthetic was the map montage: it just looked so different.

But the thing that's really different is the sensibility Mangold gives to some of the storytelling. This film doesn't feel like Logan (nor should it!) but it does share one thing with that film: the wanton, unceremonious killing of bystanders. It happens multiple times in the movie, not to any dramatic effect: its just there. Feels very incongrous in an Indiana Jones movie.

Showing the actual burned corpse of Voller just for the moment of Archimedes taking the watch off his hand, was gross.

What's the purpose of that? Nobody wants or needs to see that.

The prologue to the film is much more entertaining than the film itself, and feels like the finale to a far superior film than what we got. And you know what? I'd rather suspend my disbelief that I'm seeing a de-aged Harrison Ford, than sitting through a movie like this twice.

This is one of the most expensive movies ever made, and for that, it really looks like shit. We all know that significant reshoots made the budget so high, but it still looks like crap. Not only is the battle of Syracuse really bad CGI, you've also never seen such obvious green screens since the late 90s/early 2000s.

Another thing that's making this film so strange to me is that they seemingly go out of their way to make Helena look like a slu... sleeparound. Several times, I counted at least 4 times, she's straight up lusting after some random dude.

Is this what these weirdos think Indy is like?

Speaking of Indy-like, he's really totally incapable in this one. Gets captured four times, gets shot twice, gets hung once, gets constantly beaten, sits like a schoolboy while Helena singlehandedly cracks the Polybius Cypher, with a "I thought you were bright" burn on top, and is shown to be inept navigating through Tangiers.

If you ever wanted an Indy movie where Indy does literally nothing to contribute to the main plot, this is your movie.

The film also completely abandons the fact Indy was wanted for murder. He's back in his apartment, everything's fine.

I don't want to know how this film was cobbled together.

Aside from being purposely depressing, it's also randomly depressing. Why is everyone randomly living in a dingy apartment in New York? Is this Seinfeld? Seeing Sallah wasting away in a tiny apartment with questionable Middle Eastern decor is just ... why?

It's intentionally demystifying characters that were larger than life. That was very much on purpose.

The movie is openly mocking these characters.

When Sallah is begging Indy to go with him because he misses desert and ocean, and Sallah wants to yell a heroic "Give em hell Indiana Jones" only to have the moment cut short into a "old man walks the street" joke, I was mentally done with this.

You can stuff your deconstruction in a sack, Mangold. If he's serious that it's "a segment of the audience" that rejects this, he's really ignorant.

Had no problem with the glimpse of flame-grilled Voller ... this is, after all, a series that has previously featured exploding/imploding heads, melting faces, death by propellor, death by rock-crusher, enforced blood-drinking, hearts plucked from chests etc.    

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Had no problem with the glimpse of flame-grilled Voller ... this is, after all, a series that has previously featured exploding/imploding heads, melting faces, death by propellor, death by rock-crusher, enforced blood-drinking, hearts plucked from chests etc.    

... death by rapid ageing, death by falling tank, death by being garrotted by a leather whip and a ceiling fan, death by being impaled on spikes, death by a zillion poison darts, death by careless driving, death by falling and being eaten by crocodiles, death by having your brains burnt out from the inside with funny light coming out of your eyes, death by falling up and not into space, but the space between spaces, death by being zapped by The Almighty, death by being crushed in-between ships, death by being lowered into molten lava, death by being eaten by ants.

Fun, for all the family :lol:

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Previous deaths were clearly fantasy deaths and very clearly exaggerated. And they served a purpose. And Spielberg didn't zoom in on the mangled remains of the Kali victim or the rotten face of the Nazi killed by the grail.

Voller's burned corpse in full view twice is just morbid. And way too close to reality.

I don't want to know what this can trigger in someone who has had someone close burned or killed in a burning Car/plane; he's watching an Indy flick and then that.

I don't think there are people who had relatives lost to the miracle of the Ark of the Covenant or due to voodoo heart removal.

But it's in line with the bad taste of the rest of the film.

On 8/7/2023 at 4:02 PM, Chen G. said:

But the thing that's really different is the sensibility Mangold gives to some of the storytelling. This film doesn't feel like Logan (nor should it!) but it does share one thing with that film: the wanton, unceremonious killing of bystanders. It happens multiple times in the movie, not to any dramatic effect: its just there. Feels very incongrous in an Indiana Jones movie.

I was okay with Klaber shooting everyone because I kept thinking it was setting up his comeuppance. I figured the payoff for it would be wonderfully cinematic, that he’d get his just desserts ‘Indiana Jones style’.  I was disappointed that it was just a plane crash for this neo Nazi goon. 

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It didn't seem like all that violent to me.  Like they just sprayed him with some ashes and ketchup.  Anakin in ROTS is much more gruesome 

yeah I barely registered  the Voller corpse scene

On 09/07/2023 at 6:41 AM, Datameister said:

Sorry if I seem sadistic. I'm a pacifist, but when it comes to Indiana Jones, I want to see the boss baddie suffer.

I understand your disapointment with his death but I did really enjoy Voller's prolonged moment of realization. He got more time than any of the previous villains to understand the 'one stop shop' nature of the dial. Klaber reacting to his own incomprehension with violence was also pretty accurate for the kind of posturing manbaby he clearly was. 

15 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Previous deaths were clearly fantasy deaths and very clearly exaggerated. And they served a purpose. And Spielberg didn't zoom in on the mangled remains of the Kali victim or the rotten face of the Nazi killed by the grail.

Voller's burned corpse in full view twice is just morbid. And way too close to reality.

I don't want to know what this can trigger in someone who has had someone close burned or killed in a burning Car/plane; he's watching an Indy flick and then that.

I don't think there are people who had relatives lost to the miracle of the Ark of the Covenant or due to voodoo heart removal.

But it's in line with the bad taste of the rest of the film.

Sorry, don't buy the 'potentially triggering' thing ... it's made clear that 'injury detail' is amongst the reasons for DOD's 12A certification.   

I don't mind Voller's corpse too much (even though it is out of step with the cartoony deaths of previous Indy heavies), but I do mind the deaths of the bystanders. In a movie like this (i.e. not something unceremoniously gritty like Logan or Braveheart) when characters die they typically, in some metaphorical sense, "deserve" it. Not morally-speaking, but just in the sense that they're not just idle bystanders but somebody who put their neck on the line in some sense. I guess you could say that about the Banderas character (although its stretching it a little) but the cop and the people in Indy's office? That's just brutal in a way that's totally out of step with the quixotic Indy series.

Its not the worst thing in the world, but its all just very peculiar and its one of the many, many ways in which this just doesn't feel like an Indiana Jones film. I guess that's what happens when four out of four entries in a film series were directed by the same person, and then a new upstart comes along... some film series are just too identified with a certain directorial style, and some of us do feel that if you're going to make a series, then a certain degree of stylistic uniformity is required.

All the more reason why Indy should have been left well alone in the Alexandretian sunset, I suppose. Its certainly a much better ending than two senior citizens fornicating.

5 hours ago, Vince said:

I understand your disapointment with his death but I did really enjoy Voller's prolonged moment of realization. He got more time than any of the previous villains to understand the 'one stop shop' nature of the dial. Klaber reacting to his own incomprehension with violence was also pretty accurate for the kind of posturing manbaby he clearly was. 

Very fair points. I did appreciate those aspects.

@Chen G. Yeah, it's a pattern I never really thought about until it was suddenly broken. I guess counterexamples could include the sacrifice victim in TOD and … yeah, that's all I can think of. And that one doesn't have the element of surprise, since it's literally a whole scene building up to his demise. I guess Donovan does keep sending innocents to their death until Indy is forced to figure out what a penitent man does. But still.

Unrelated: It's interesting how many people use words like "cartoony" to describe deaths in the previous films. I suppose I understand the sentiment in some of the fight scenes, but I also think of Sapito, Belloq, Toht, Dietrich, the aforementioned sacrifice victim, Mola Ram, and Donovan. These are pretty grisly deaths. And then there are all the gross-out moments with corpses of the already-dead: Forestal, the Well of Souls mummies, the flayed human skins fluttering in the Pankot breeze, Francisco de Orellana—hardly the stuff of cartoons.

I think we can safely say that Voller's death was far better handled than Mac's fate in KOTC. I guess I know what they were going for but it just didn't work on any level.

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

At any rate, I do applaud them for keeping this consistency:

The artifact always works, just not in the way the bad buys want because of their misunderstanding of it or use of it for greed.  And they pay for that.

One thing I think DoD did (and HAD TO) was blow KOTCS's macguffin reveal/ending out of the water!

And I think it did.  It was bonkers. but a GOOD bonkers.

Also meeting Archimedes was handled with taste, just like the Grail Knight.  Glad they didn't have him speaking english like the grail knight :lol:

13 minutes ago, karelm said:

I think what you mean is that Indy for once got to experience the past. 

You're probably right. Almost feels like the last thing on his checklist if we're being honest.

What I missed in my post was the sense of wonder and surprise from the ending.

KOTCS did not have that sense of wonder when we finally get to the (kingdom???) of all those aliens....

Probably because we already knew what the head looked like for half the f'n movie.

13 hours ago, Bellosh said:

You're probably right. Almost feels like the last thing on his checklist if we're being honest.

What I missed in my post was the sense of wonder and surprise from the ending.

KOTCS did not have that sense of wonder when we finally get to the (kingdom???) of all those aliens....

Probably because we already knew what the head looked like for half the f'n movie.

half of this movie should take place in the past, half of KIngdom should have taken place in Kuzkotopia or whatever (the first of the two is easier since you have real historical locations and it's way funnier for this character who, for example, once talked to that knight).

example: a lot of Temple of Doom takes place in this made up Temple of Doom! 

it can be okay to be "silly".