The Hans Zimmer Thead

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2020 at 7:29 AM, Jay said:

Well, it doesn't surprise me that he finds Eilish's song "very well crafted". 

However, this had me rolling: 

"We just spent the day adding little orchestral touches."

That must have been one lazy day. 

On 14/11/2020 at 12:44 AM, gkgyver said:

Well, it doesn't surprise me that he finds Eilish's song "very well crafted". 

However, this had me rolling: 

"We just spent the day adding little orchestral touches."

That must have been one lazy day. 

You've been warned about this multiple times now.  This is an appreciation thread.  You can bash Zimmer in literally any other thread.  Final warning

• 1 month later...

I just " accidentally" clicked on FSM where the weekly Zimmer bash is underway.

Poor Thor.

Since I was banned he has been on his own battling the forces of reaction and envy.

It's kinda like Chuchill and England after the fall of France

So, if any Zimmer fans are left here, you might wanna fly over there, like the RAF at Dunkirk!😊😁and relieve Thor!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I liked Snyder's film and welcome another installment. Not sure if there's enough "palette" here for Zimmer to do something spectacular, but I'm definitely curious.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

I liked Snyder's film and welcome another installment. 

Really? Wow! I like Snyder's Dawn Of The Dead but I was really disappointed with Army Of The Dead. And nobody gives Snyder more slack than me! Nobody!

I fucking hated Army of the Dead. It's Batman v Superman levels of bad, maybe even worse. Holkebborg's score was so fucking pointless and generic.

I don't care if it's John Williams that is scoring the prequels/sequels/whatever the fuck Netflix wants to do with this so called "franchise", I won't watch it.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I fucking hated Army of the Dead. It's Batman v Superman levels of bad,

That's not true. The tension between Supes and Bats in BvS is way more interesting than the cliche moaning between these two:

d89a.jpg

38 minutes ago, AC1 said:

That's not true. The tension between Supes and Bats in BvS is way more interesting than the cliche moaning between these two:

Yeah, you're right. Even BvS is not as horrible as Army.

I still think Snyder's best film was his previous zombie movie, Dawn of the Dead.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I liked Snyder's film and welcome another installment. Not sure if there's enough "palette" here for Zimmer to do something spectacular, but I'm definitely curious.

I hope we'll get a cool heist score like the Now You See Me scores!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Not sure about the motivation for posting the video, Quintus (if it was out of appreciation or something else...hopefully the former), but I loved it! Very moving towards the end; he has a big heart.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

2:23.... Awkwaaard 😂

Bhaha he was asking for it.

Ooph...taking all these Hollywood blockbusters and conflating his sense of self-importance so callously just reeks of exploitation.

38 minutes ago, KK said:

Bhaha he was asking for it.

Ooph...taking all these Hollywood blockbusters and conflating his sense of self-importance so callously just reeks of exploitation.

That whole interview was pretty cringe-inducing. It’s clear he means well when he says things like that about his music, but, wow, trying to make something special about the fact that he recorded the Lion King just before the ANC won the first free election in South Africa is some next-level hubris. What exactly was his point there?

He’s not tying the score to the free election - he’s tying vocalist Lebo M to it. 

I liked the video - it’s cheesy in that news puff piece way, but it’s fairly rare that film composers get a spotlight like this.

3 hours ago, Bayesian said:

What exactly was his point there?

He gives these people a job to pay their bills, which is really great and tries to build a narrative around it to sell the concerts, which... is not necessarily that great. 

But if it works...

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

He gives these people a job to pay their bills, which is really great

https://www.euractiv.com/section/health-consumers/news/eu-to-step-up-human-trafficking-prevention-for-ukrainian-refugees/

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

He’s not tying the score to the free election - he’s tying vocalist Lebo M to it. 

I liked the video - it’s cheesy in that news puff piece way, but it’s fairly rare that film composers get a spotlight like this.

Agreed. Good stuff.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Ok, but even so… what was his point in linking him to the election? The two had nothing to do with the other, which makes Zimmer sound really transparently opportunistic. But hey, if it makes for a nice sound bite, what’s the harm, right. 

God, I really hate Zimmer. He’s a feel-good cancer on film music. I need to stay out of this thread.

1 hour ago, Bayesian said:

God, I really hate Zimmer. He’s a feel-good cancer on film music. I need to stay out of this thread.

Probably yes. In fact, I’m not quite sure what you and a couple of others above are even doing in a Zimmer appreciation thread if you have so much antipathy against him?

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Probably yes. In fact, I’m not quite sure what you and a couple of others above are even doing in a Zimmer appreciation thread if you have so much antipathy against him?

Quite simply, Thor, they are exercising their right to free speech, and as long as they remain within JWfan rules, they are entitled to do so, no more, no less.

Over the years, JWfan has attracted a few JW haters, but they have all had the good grace to leave, after a while.

I'm not trying to defend Bayesian (I'm sure that Bayesian is more than capable of doing that), and I will go on record by saying that I am not a Zimmer hater, but to try to elevate film music (film music, for cryin' out loud!) to this sort of social level, is pure hubris.

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Quite simply, Thor, they are exercising their right to free speech, and as long as they remain within JWfan rules, they are entitled to do so, no more, no less.

Yes all opinions are allowed on JWFan, but appreciation threads are specifically there for only positive discussion about the subject that it is an appreciation thread for; Therefore negative opinions on Zimmer belong in a different thread than this one

On 20/04/2022 at 5:49 AM, HunterTech said:

You say he's the most successful film composer alive........

.....in a John Williams forum......

If one can measure success in terms of BO of films scored, soundtrack units sold, combined film salaries (etc, etc... pick your criteria) then there is going to be someone who is definitively the most successful. Might be Zimmer, might be someone else (although I suspect it's probably him).

But why should such a statement be controversial on a fan forum? My favourite film composer is generally and historically JNH, and I think that amongst his truly great works he's done a lot of absolute garbage. Every composer has, and I don't believe for a nanosecond that anyone gains from constantly seeking validation that their favourite artist is 'the best'.

You know how many Zimmer critical folk are on here. Surely you would've expected someone to balk at the statement (which I personally think is most likely true if he effectively is the one actual celebrity from the medium).

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

My favourite film composer is generally and historically JNH, and I think that amongst his truly great works he's done a lot of absolute garbage

He's done one great score.