NY Times Article: "How to Write Music for Rolling Boulders"

ConorPower

That was absolutely brilliant in every way.  I really enjoyed the experience.  That must've taken a lot of work.

1 hour ago, Falstaft said:

Excellent article. And a great way to include example clips. The way you lined up the Berlin Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra with the film scene is particularly impressive.

This is a wonderful article!  I expected another run of the mill Williams article that we always get when he has a new movie, but the look at the less known aspects of his scores was a surprise!  Excellent use of video/sound to prove your points, which is almost demanded when writing about music in this way.  You should be proud of this article!

I've been afraid to bring this up since I first noticed it but...

I noticed that for the Desert Chase clip, you used the OST/Concord version of Desert Chase instead of the uncut/correct film take DCC version.  Considering that it was supposed to synchronize with the video, I would've gone with the DCC version for that bit, but is there a particular reason you went with the OST/Concord version instead?

This was a really terrific article. Thanks so much for taking the time to write and share it. So much music criticism is about the people making the music, not the music itself. It’s always great to see music talked about in an intelligent (but not academic) manner. A layperson could really get something out of this, and, I suspect, so could any number of people who should know better, but have dismissed film music out of hand. 

Good job!

Brilliant! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Thanks so much @Jay, that means a lot to me! I do hope this article will, in some small way, make a case for a more respectful treatment of symphonic film scoring. Judging from the comments, I think audiences are eager for a return.

The NPR segment I did was with Think! and should be streamable here: https://www.npr.org/podcasts/478859728/think. We cover some of the same ideas from the NYT article but also touch on Williams's career more generally (including Daddy-O!). 

It's a nicely curated traversal.  I heard it on NPR and thought "what the!@?@?!  But that's Falstaft!"  Great job!