Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

Jay

Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

• Yes, I pre-ordered the CD from Disney Emporium in June/July
    • No, because the order page was removed before I could order it there
    • No, because I assumed it would be sold through other retailers in August
    • No, because I do not want to own this album on CD
    • Yes, but only when it returned for sale for briefly in August

24 minutes ago, mstrox said:

That idea goes beyond the rights holder, because a bootleg doesn’t financially benefit any other associated parties - for instance, the composer or union musicians who fought hard to negotiate reuse fees for their work.  A bootleg release or a law facilitating such would essentially just cut through all the red tape (which may be the barrier to release in the first place) by ignoring it.

Well they're not getting any money from nonexistent releases either. The situation doesn't change.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

That idea goes beyond the rights holder, because a bootleg doesn’t financially benefit any other associated parties - for instance, the composer or union musicians who fought hard to negotiate reuse fees for their work.  A bootleg release or a law facilitating such would essentially just cut through all the red tape (which may be the barrier to release in the first place) by ignoring it.

I mean neither do used sales on ebay....

After watching "Tenet" today, a strange coincidence occurred – an email arrived, notifying me that my Indiana Jones 5 Limited Edition OST on CD will arrive next week. :huh:

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Well they're not getting any money from nonexistent releases either. The situation doesn't change.

The situation does change, because now their work is being used and they are not being paid for it - despite the fact that payment is due to them.

1 hour ago, enderdrag64 said:

I mean neither do used sales on ebay....

Sure - the artist would have been reimbursed at the first sale by law.  If you buy used, dues related to that piece of plastic have already been paid

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

After watching "Tenet" today, a strange coincidence occurred – an email arrived, notifying me that my Indiana Jones 5 Limited Edition OST on CD will arrive next week. :huh:

? I thought you hadn't bought it.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Did the email explicitly indicate the CD as a limited edition?? That would be interesting, seeing as it hadn’t received that disclaimer on the emporium website. 

23 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Did the email explicitly indicate the CD as a limited edition?? That would be interesting, seeing as it hadn’t received that disclaimer on the emporium website. 

Oh no, it's a 500 000 units edition! In fact, the album is already Gold! 😝

Is it possible that they had to suddenly stop any pre-orders and distribution plans due to some issues regarding legal and rights? Maybe someone noticed something wrong in one of the contracts so they had to put everything on hold while they look for a solution? That would explain why the "limited edition" was never mentioned, as well as the fact that the CD was a Disney Emporium exclusive 🤔

1 hour ago, ciarlese said:

Is it possible that they had to suddenly stop any pre-orders and distribution plans due to some issues regarding legal and rights? Maybe someone noticed something wrong in one of the contracts so they had to put everything on hold while they look for a solution? That would explain why the "limited edition" was never mentioned, as well as the fact that the CD was a Disney Emporium exclusive 🤔

Highly unlikely.

Any suddenly appearing legal issue with the album itself that would have prevented them from releasing the CD more widely would also have prevented them from fulfilling preorders.

7 hours ago, ciarlese said:

Wishful thinking, I fear.  Any contractual or licensing problems would have affected the LP set too which they're still taking pre-orders for.

No... I assumed it would be sold in Amazon and other places as a regular CD. This was the first time I read this was a limited run CD, which doesn't even makes sense.

No. 

Some that come to mind are John Carter and Tomorrowland. Which I just realized were also Disney Records. 

And again, the album itself is not limited. It's available in every store that sells and streams digital music, which is how 99.9% of people on earth listen to music in 2023. It's only one physical media option that was a limited run. 

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm waiting for the cassette. 

What do you have against vinyl? ;)

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

And again, the album itself is not limited. It's available in every store that sells and streams digital music, which is how 99.9% of people on earth listen to music in 2023. It's only one physical media option that was a limited run. 

Yes, of course. I meant the cd.

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is available in every store that sells and streams digital music, which is how 99.9% of people on earth listen to music in 2023.

It would be interesting to know any source at that statistic, as I am not sure it's so accurate.

I obviously made up the number, but the point is valid. 

Disney Records did not fail at making the album available to consumers in any stretch of the imagination. 

They only failed at making the CD version available and did not communicate clearly that it was a limited edition option from the start. 

7 minutes ago, rough cut said:

We could just buy it on Amazon music, where it's available in MP3-quality.

To clarify: only MP#-quality.

image.png

But the sound quality is bad: the dynamic range within loud tacks is limited, while quiet tracks are amplified and sound disproportionally loud.

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Vinyl scratches.

I can take cassesttes with me in my Walkman.

I hate cassettes with a passion, the sound warbles after a few plays or the tape tangles and become unusable. Minidisk was a decent format and a godsend before the digital file era.

With the film flopping so badly they might not even consider pressing more c.d.'s and this could even hurt the chances of a new Indy Expansion anytime soon as they might not want to invest in this franchise anymore.

28 minutes ago, rough cut said:

We could just buy it on Amazon music, where it's available in MP3-quality.

To clarify: only MP#-quality.

image.png

On 21/07/2023 at 11:20 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

If that doesn't work, the album is available in CD quality as FLAC files. Then we just need high res scans of the booklet pages and inlay so everybody can make their own CD.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9507510--indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

With the film flopping so badly they might not even consider pressing more c.d.'s and this could even hurt the chances of a new Indy Expansion anytime soon as they might not want to invest in this franchise anymore.

Or, maybe their loss of interest in the franchise will cause them to remove it's WDR exclusivity and open it up to Intrada ;)

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

For those who didn't get the DoD CD album, there's always this.

image.png

If you wink long enough, she might look like Helena. 

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

JW would have loved to score Barbie.

He would have loved to write a theme for Margot  Robbie. 

It would have been a really fun score, that would now be available for purchase on CD.

Well my CD arrived.....

Cracked case and all.  Simply because this shit company packaged a CD with 1 thin layer (if you can even call it that) of bubble wrap in an envelope.

I honestly thought someone mailed me a document instead of a CD when i opened my mailbox

Dogshit Emporium. 

10 hours ago, Jay said:

No. 

Some that come to mind are John Carter and Tomorrowland. Which I just realized were also Disney Records. 

I don't think 99.9% of film score fans listen to music through streaming though. This isn't the latest pop album. Most film scores still get CDs, even new releases. I'd be curious to know what the breakdown is in our community of CD vs digital purchase vs streaming (for albums where the final two options are available).

Also, Indy 5 is similar to John Carter and Tomorrowland in another way - they all lost Disney over $100 million. Indy 5 may lose over $200 million. John Carter came close. I wonder if that played into the CDs not getting wider releases.

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

Highly likely, unfortunately. I wouldn't be shocked if they write off the whole Indiana Jones franchise after this financial catastrophe.

Still, pressing more CDs from a master that already exists, and was recently in use, is not that difficult.

I still maintain that a request from James Mangold or Frank Marshall (or John Williams himself, if that's possible by some miracle) is our last hope for the few hundred more CDs we need to satisfy the rest of our community. :)