Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

Jay

Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

• Yes, I pre-ordered the CD from Disney Emporium in June/July
    • No, because the order page was removed before I could order it there
    • No, because I assumed it would be sold through other retailers in August
    • No, because I do not want to own this album on CD
    • Yes, but only when it returned for sale for briefly in August

17 minutes ago, JTW said:

Someone should start a petition or write to Lucasfilm and Walt Disney Records… 

I don't think either of those would have much impact, sadly. I don't think they'll care what a few consumers think.

As I posted earlier, I think the best thing is to get someone on our side who's so powerful Disney has to listen to them.

I recommend tweeting to James Mangold. He's lined up to do a Star Wars film. If he asked, Disney would reissue the CD in two seconds.

If anyone knows anyone in Mr. Williams's orbit, VERY POLITELY informing them of what happened would be useful too.

6 minutes ago, jamesluckard said:

I recommend tweeting to James Mangold. He's lined up to do a Star Wars film. If he asked, Disney would reissue the CD in two seconds.

What makes you say that? 

As of right now, 24 voters ordered it from the Emporium (31%), 44 voters want it on CD but missed out (56%) and 10 voters didn't want it on CD anyway (13%)

3 hours ago, jamesluckard said:

Studios listen to everything big name directors and actors say, to protect the relationship for possible future films.

I'm sure they do, but Mangold doesn't come across as the sort of guy who will be offended and refuse to ever make more movies with Disney if he calls up the head of music and he's told they crunched the numbers and didn't want to press any more.

I just assumed it would be on Amazon U.K. closer to the release date - didn’t even cross my mind the Disney site would be a limited exclusive (I looked of course).  Had they said so, I would have ordered immediately with the usual USA > U.K. shipping us Euros know and love.

18 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

I just assumed it would be on Amazon U.K. closer to the release date - didn’t even cross my mind the Disney site would be a limited exclusive (I looked of course).  Had they said so, I would have ordered immediately with the usual USA > U.K. shipping us Euros know and love.

The majority of us are in the same boat here, it seems, based on the survey. :(

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I was wondering:

How much are you willing to pay to ebay scalpers?

I would perhaps pay 30 euros (without shipping that is).

But I guess the cost will be way up! :(

Yep, they'll be going for way more than that, I suspect.

Those FYCs of the Star Wars scores went for a couple of hundred dollars.

I suspect once these start appearing in the wild in a week or so, when they're delivered to the people who bought them at DME, and a few people start selling them, they'll go for similar amounts.

I haven’t voted, since I am waiting for an expanded edition on Cd and bought the OST from iTunes as a cheaper way to tide me over, as I did with the sequels. This option is not in the poll. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Someone tell Disney there's a market for 44 more CDs.

Since they’re targeting the nichest audience with their films nowadays, I think there’s good chance we’d succeed.

1 hour ago, jamesluckard said:

I'd be truly curious how many CDs they sold during their limited run.

Since it says out of stock on DME, I’d assume… all? Or you mean how many units did they press? Not enough. 

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's probably a CD-R run.

Entirely possible too.

There's a video online that seems to be the only promotion Disney did, it's an Instagram influencer showing off the CD in its case.

You can see the insert artwork and the front of the disc, but you can't see the back of the disc to see if it's a pressed CD. She's holding the CD and moving around the whole time, annoyingly, so you really don't get a good look at the actual product.

There is not the slightest reason to believe it's a CD-R.

Don't you guys think if it wasn't a pressed CD they would have marked it in the description?

Besides, as far as I know, Disney Music Emporium hasn't sold CD-Rs so far. 

Plus, a lot of buyers, including me, would want their money back.

32 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

There is not the slightest reason to believe it's a CD-R.

Don't you guys think if it wasn't a pressed CD they would have marked it in the description?

Besides, as far as I know, Disney Music Emporium hasn't sold CD-Rs so far. 

Plus, a lot of buyers, including me, would want their money back.

But it was a limited edition and also a retailer exclusive, and they didn't advertise those facts...

I'm not saying we have any reason to suspect it is a CD-R, just that we also have no proof yet that it isn't. :)

I'm rather shocked to learn that it was a limited edition and that it already sold out. I never pre-ordered or anything, as I assumed it would be widely available in August.

Oh well, another item that will forever stay on my want list due to insane prices on the secondary market. :(

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

My theory: it's the pre-order at Disney Euphoreum that's limited, not the soundtrack.

That would be glorious news.

I'd love to look like a fool in three weeks if it's true and means I could get a CD.

However, another bad omen just hit me. They announced on their website that the CD would come out on August 9. August 9 is a Wednesday. CDs do not come out on Wednesdays in the US. That makes me think it was never a wide release date, just an estimate of when they'd be able to ship it, tied to the lag time in pressing the LPs. They clearly decided to just start sending out the CDs once they came in to anyone who didn't also order an LP with it.

40 minutes ago, jamesluckard said:

They announced on their website that the CD would come out on August 9. August 9 is a Wednesday. CDs do not come out on Wednesdays in the US. That makes me think it was never a wide release date, just an estimate of when they'd be able to ship it, tied to the lag time in pressing the LPs. They clearly decided to just start sending out the CDs once they came in to anyone who didn't also order an LP with it.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

The vinyl has not shipped yet and is very likely truly due around August 9 if not delayed. 

The CD release was likely given the same August 9th date only as a rough estimate, and just ended up being ready 3 weeks before then, so they shipped them out to those who ordered it without the vinyl in the same order, to not be sitting on too much stock

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ah, yep, I remember you mentioning something similar, it was just my specific realization that August 9 is a Wednesday, and not a Friday, when CDs come out now, that I wanted to stress in my post there.

I didn't mean to make it seem as if I was trying to pass off your observation about the CDs being ready early as my own, sorry if it read that way, I was trying to tie the realization about the date back into your earlier observation. I probably should have quoted your earlier post to make that clear. :)

17 hours ago, jamesluckard said:

I don't think either of those would have much impact, sadly. I don't think they'll care what a few consumers think.

As I posted earlier, I think the best thing is to get someone on our side who's so powerful Disney has to listen to them.

Given the rather poor reception / dismal box office of this film and Kathleen Kennedy / Disney cancelling Star Wars projects left and right, I'd wouldn't be surprised if this film never happened.

I guess the digital version will have to suffice for me on this on this one. That way I won't have to double dip whenever, or if, all 5 scores eventually get a full release. I thought about pre-ordering the LP but I'm lukewarm about this score to begin with.

And at this pace I'm beginning to think I won't live to see a full comprehensive release of all the IJ scores or the Star Wars saga.

It surely is a sign of the end of an era when the CD release of the score to a movie like Indy 5 comes and goes in nearly the blink of an eye and with no marketing. If it weren’t a JW score, I suspect it wouldn’t have even gotten the CD treatment in the first place.

Well, to be honest this has been the case for quite a few years. If an Academy Award score can't get a CD release, then there's no chance for majority of titles. I have been assuming this for better part of the last decade, especially if there are no pre-order links from major retailers.

Karol

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Shipped!

CD only, I suppose.

It seems clients ordering the CD/vinyl "bundle" will be waiting over a month longer before the CD is shipped.

You basically get punished for spending (wasting) money on vinyl.