Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - Isolated Score Track

DangerMotif

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

I got the 4K UHD release for Christmas!  It's nice to legally own this isolated score.

Now to buy a 4K UHD disc player so I can watch the film with this track :lol:

I think I'm going to be putting myself in the same boat. Maybe this is the year I finally get round to buying the 4K player.... but I bet I buy the discs first :D

Hope you had a good Christmas Jay! 

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

It was pretty good, thank you!  How about you?

Super busy with gigs and work, so a bit "blink and you miss it" but all very lovely. And we got a beautiful new puppy shaped addition to the family :) So I'm working round the clock to keep those tiny gnashers away from the precious music collection :lol:

After listening to it a few times I start to like even the first 1944 part which contains lots of great action music. I am especially happy that it splits the New York 1969 track, so I can order the end credit tracks in reverse order which I prefer musically and narratively (Nazis->Helena->Indy is back!)

The end credits of the film contain a bit of tracked material (after OST 2:29) and  then the ost track (minus the helena opening) is the true recording?

It's a puzzle for sure, and no small feat to even partially figuring out where all the pieces were originally meant to go.

Thanks for putting in the work in helping everyone understand how it was all put together! I wish it wasn't necessary but who knows if we'll ever get a proper official expansion of the maestro's intended vision.

For number 6 I think you mean it was tracked in from Polybius Cypher rather than Helena's Tutorial

In regards to the Ancient Syracuse section:

• 2:10:33-2:10:38 has a statement of Indy's theme that I feel like I recognize from another part of the score, but maybe was originally intended to be there and it's the tracked bit of Into the Portal that's making it sound out place lol. 
  • 2:10:39-2:10:50 has this sustained string? chord that might belong there but sounds strangely out of place to my ears as well. Could be the same issue with the previous bit though or some kind of looping.

Also I noticed one bit of tracking in the middle of Melting Wax you missed, which is

• 1:36:19-1:36:35 (0:16) is tracked from Archimedes' Tomb - compare to 1:50:23-1:50:39

23 hours ago, Jay said:

So that means the OST track "Polybius Cypher" does not contain any of the Polybius Cypher cue, it only contains Helena's Tutorial and Escaping The Boat.

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification.

Aside from all the tracking, more carefully comparing both versions of Helena's Tutorial has made me notice a lot of differences in just this one cue.

Helena's tutorial in the OST track seems like either an alternate recording or there's been lots of microediting here and there. Aside from the obvious extra timpani, there are a few sections on the film version that are not in the OST version;

1) 1:31:38 to 1:31:47 (0:09)

2) 1:32:19 to 1:32:24 (0:05)

3) 1:32:38 to 1:32:54 (0:16)

4) 1:33:16 to 1:33:25 (0:09)

a section of the OST track that's not in the film version;

1:46 to 1:51 of Polybius Cypher - which would come in at 1:33:11 in the film version

as well as a section towards the end which is unique to each version 

compare 1:33:44 to 1:33:53 of the film version to 2:18 to 2:27 on the OST track (this part of the OST definitely sounds tacked on to me)

Just looking at all the differences in this single cue makes me wonder if there's tons more like this in the rest of the score that I hadn't noticed either 0_0

Interesting!  Don't forget you can also compare to when Helena's Tutorial is tracked into the early New York scene - 0:27:00-0:27:40 (0:40)

Speaking of those early New York scenes, I think almost all of Voller's first scene there with the room service is tracked from Voller's Interview, and only the final 20 seconds or so is Nazis

• 0:28:16-0:30:08 (1:52) = Voller's Interview
  • 0:30:08-0:30:30 (0:22) = Nazis

And I think that has some unique material compared to what remains in the actual Voller's Interview scene (0:46:36-0:48:17 (1:41))

On 16/01/2024 at 10:13 AM, tee_oh said:

Also I noticed one bit of tracking in the middle of Melting Wax you missed, which is

• 1:36:19-1:36:35 (0:16) is tracked from Archimedes' Tomb - compare to 1:50:23-1:50:39

I finally had time to check this out.  Nice catch, you're totally right!  And its in the Archimede's Tomb OST track, so its definitely tracked from there into Melting Wax and not the other way around.

Crazy how much tracking this film actually has, when we originally thought there wasn't much!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Crazy how much tracking this film actually has, when we originally thought there wasn't much!

Seriously. I think it's because there are so many of these really short passages pasted around here and there, which you would only notice when listening really intently, while having listened to the rest of the score enough to recognize them from other cues. 

This last one I found was driving me crazy because I was certain I head that passage somewhere else in the score but I couldn't find it for so such a long time. 

So I'm re-examing the OST album as I compare to the isolated score.

Am I nuts or are there 2 parts of the OST "Germany, 1944" track that are not in the film?

1. 0:00-0:06 (0:06) = Not in film?
  2. 0:06-2:19 (2:13) ≈ iso score 6:25-8:52 (2:27) - Indy Driver

3. 2:19-2:33 (0:14) ≈ iso score 9:39-9:49 (0:10) - Indy Driver

4. 2:33-3:00 (0:27) ≈ iso score 12:13-12:42 (0:29) - It's A Fake

5. 3:00-3:22 (0:22) ≈ iso score 13:36-14:00 (0:24) - It's A Fake

6. 3:22-3:41 (0:19) ≈ iso score 17:11-17:40 (0:29) - Combat Train-ing

7. 3:41-3:48 (0:07) = Not in film?

8. 3:48-end (0:55) ≈ iso score 20:48-21:46 (0:58) - Jump

Can anyone identify the two parts I could not?

So that's EIGHT MINUTES of tracked music in the final cut of the film.  Much more than anyone realized, I think.

I'm mostly curious about how Williams originally scored the Through The Portal / Planes In Trouble sequence, and why Mangold replaced so much of it with tracked music instead of inserts, revisions, or patches like everywhere else.

It would, as usual, be very interesting to see the original cue sheets/ session recordings to figure out what was originally written/recorded for this one!?

Thanks @Jay for taking all this time to figure this out... I've been waiting to try an edit from the 5.1 channel rip I got off the blu ray but haven't had the time to figure all this out... You sir as usual are coming to the rescue! Now to Adobe Audition to try some of this! 

There are some small bits of tracking to create false endings too. I’m reasonably confident the final note of Helena Runs is the end of Battle of Syracuse cut short. The end of Departures is material from Voller’s interview looped. I’m trying to think if I noticed any others.

Oh yes, I noticed many fake endings as well, some more obvious than others.  And there are also some mixing differences sometimes with tracked appearances compared to main appearances, like the tracked "Water Ballet" and "Helena's Tutorial" just before "Through The Portal" has a repeating drum loop seemingly artificially created by looping one drum performance for the duration of the tracked bit.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Eight minutes of tracking is relatively restrained in a post-TROS world.

I don't have exact numbers off hand but it might even be less than ROTJ and the three prequels...

Very likely less than AotC and RotS, those had entire unscored sequences later "scored" with tracked music. But RotJ? There's a few instances but surely nowhere near 8 minutes? Unless you count things like chopping up the rancor and sail barge fights.

I respect a filmmaker who manages to finish their film with minimal or no tracking but I think it represents a far too rosy-tinted view of the process. Probably also a symptom of over-editing at the last minute and just generally fiddling around when it doesn't need it.

This score sounds like an extreme example though, with entire sequences created from tracked or re-recorded (so effectively tracked) music.

11 hours ago, Holko said:

Very likely less than AotC and RotS, those had entire unscored sequences later "scored" with tracked music. But RotJ? There's a few instances but surely nowhere near 8 minutes? Unless you count things like chopping up the rancor and sail barge fights.

Well you do have:

The Droids are Captured

Han Solo Returns

Emperor Arrives

Death of Yoda

Brother and Sister

Father and Son

Emperor Provokes Luke

Leia is Wounded

Through the Flames...

Just now, Holko said:

Okay but some of those are a few seconds long

True 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Pieter Boelen said:

A post-TRoS world, eh?

Now that DOES sound apocalyptic!! :eh:

Well a global pandemic did sweep the globe mere weeks after TROS was released.

Coincidence? I'll let you decide...

Another thing I noticed:

There's two VERY similar arrangements of Indy's theme near each other in the prologue sequence.

The first starts about 16 seconds into Indy Rescues Baz (so runs from 0:14:15.5-0:14:30.4).  The second is about 77 seconds into Jump (so runs from 0:20:50.7-0:21:07.2)

Spoiler

I mean, they are basically identical.  And I think they are an existing arrangement from one of the prior Indy scores, but it isn't coming to me exactly where from.

Anyway, I don't think it's tracked from Jump into Indy Rescues Baz, I think they just copied some temp track that was the same in both spots and then never changed one of them.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure what part of what post led you to think that old recordings appeared somewhere

All the score heard in the Dial of Destiny film is recorded for it; no recordings from any prior movies are dropped in anywhere

Ah that makes sense.  Yeah I meant that they used the same old sheet music in those two places (as a starting point) to match the temp track

Just found it funny that nobody thought to change one of them, to not have the same music twice in the film 5 minutes apart

Yes they use the start of Belly (10M2 All Tanked Up) twice, but at least the second time it transitions to some On The Tank.

I’m curious. For Who…Whom is pitch-shifted when comparing the soundtrack album and the film. Which version is as-recorded and therefore is the correct pitch? If it is the film that is correct, why is the pitch different on the album?

The film is correct as recorded.  The album version is pitch-shifted to make it sound better when cross-faded with the Finale cue.

You can see this visualized  here.

Okay, I’m late to the game paying actual focused attention to some of the isolated score. Just happened to check my streaming version today and see if it was showing up on there, which it now is, so started watching the prologue.  I know about the other cribbing from previous Indy scores and some Minority Report and Star Wars lifts that found their way into the score, but hadn’t noticed some of 1941 in there until today, lol. Did anyone else catch that or did I miss it on another page? In the “It’s A Fake” cue from around ::33-1:17. Compare it to Sub Commander from around :11-1:06 on the expanded 1941 LalaLand release. 😂 Sorry if anyone else already caught that and I missed it. 

Yes, people mentioned hearing this 1941 lift when the film was in theaters. 

Surprisingly, there is no organized list of all these little repurposed bits yet, so specific timestamps for anything like this are welcome!