96th Academy Awards (2024 Oscars for 2023 films)

Jay

It’s an insult. Nominating a man 54 times for an award, but giving it to him only 5 times. They should have given it to him at least 25 times. He received his last Oscar 30 years ago!

Here's the full list of nominees in all the categories

https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/2024

Looking through the entire list, I've only seen FOUR nominated movies, gotta be an all time low for me

1. Oppenheimer - good!
  2. Barbie - great!
  3. Elemental - great!
  4. May December - ok

Man I don't even know what the Picture runner-up is this year. Holdovers missed Director, Barbie missed Director and Actress, Killers of the Flower Moon missed Screenplay and Actor, none of the others have the popular consensus factor. Oppenheimer is running away with it. Wonder how many it'll end up with. 

56 minutes ago, Thor said:

Boring score choices, all of them. But I suppose I'll root for Indy, out of those.

Killers of the Flower Moon is easily my favorite score there and actually in my top 10 favorite scores of the year.

18 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Man I don't even know what the Picture runner-up is this year. Holdovers missed Director, Barbie missed Director and Actress, Killers of the Flower Moon missed Screenplay and Actor, none of the others have the popular consensus factor. Oppenheimer is running away with it. Wonder how many it'll end up with. 

I would say the runner up is either Poor Things or Anatomy of A Fall. The latter will win best screenplay and the former did really well with the nominations, but yeah, Oppenheimer will win.

I know it was nearly impossible, but anyway, it's really sad that neither Joe Hisaishi (The Boy and the Heron), nor Naoki Sato (Godzilla Minus One) didn't get the nominations. It could have been an interesting changes.

I was hoping Hisaishi could get in there, it's too bad

16 minutes ago, saulocf said:

I would say the runner up is either Poor Things or Anatomy of A Fall. The latter will win best screenplay and the former did really well with the nominations, but yeah, Oppenheimer will win.

Yeah but those two were just never gonna win. Tbf Barbie wasn't either. I felt like The Holdovers still had that very slim outside chance to luck out in the preferential ballot considering it was surprisingly popular with the Brits, but it seems pretty unanimous that it's time to give Nolan his flowers.

I also think it's pretty cool that complser Kris Bowers (Bridgerton, Hau ted Mansion, Secret Invasion) is now a 2 time Oscar nominee for Documentary Short.

And this post is great!

6 hours ago, JTW said:

And the Obligatory Oscar Nomination for Best Original Score goes to…

John Williams for Indiana Jones and the Why Hasn’t He Received His 6th Oscar Decades Ago!

THE FABELMANS wasn't "obligatory". Great score that should have won.

But, yeah, a lot of his recent noms have that feel.

Personal picks, not predictions:

Oppenheimer deserves Best Picture because it was the best picture of the year. Similarly, Christopher Nolan for Best Director.

Giamatti for Best Actor because he had by far the best performance of the year.

Greta Lee (Past Lives) should win for Best Actress but she wasn't even nominated. 

DowneyDa'Vine Joy Randolph for Best Supporting, respectively.

The Holdovers just edges out Past Lives for best screenplay.

Among the nominees, Göransson (who else) for Score. Though I'd give it to Hisaishi.

Wow, out of the four Best Score nominees that I know the Williams score is my least favourite.

The great news is: the three best (American) films of the year are the three films that got the most nominations.

5 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

After the last few BP winners being stinkers

Wha?  Coda was a nothingburger but Everything Everywhere All At Once is an incredible movie!

Just now, Jay said:

Wha?  Coda was a nothingburger but Everything Everywhere All At Once is an incredible movie!

I fucking hated Everything Everywhere.  One of the most annoying movies I've ever seen

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

While I think the term is overused, I'd put EEAAO next to "Overrated" in the dictionary.

A enjoyable movie, to be sure, but it's nowhere near deserving of the hyperbolic praise that was heaped on it, and it certainly wasn't as original as everyone insisted it was. I mean, how has a Wes Anderson film not won Best Picture but this has?

I thought All Quiet on the Western FrontThe Banshees of Inisherin were both better films that year. 

As an Asian, I love EEAAO, not only because I watch Michelle Yeoh's film since I was a kid, but also it describe our culture so well, in a way so fun.

And I am so happy that Godzilla receive a nomination!

I haven't seen All Quiet, but I liked Everything Everywhere more than Banshees.  If anything I'd say Everything Everywhere is underrated.  I went in not knowing anything about it or that it would be an eventual awards contender or anything and was blown away by how much I liked it.  I guess if you went in expecting something extraordinary from it from all the hyper it eventually got I could see it being disappointing in that regard

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Well, I bet and I lost. So, until February 23rd 2024, I'll be using Lorne's face as my avatar. Anyone who'd like to block me to you don't have to look at him every time I post, feel free to do so. 

Thanks, Academy :angry:

I just blocked it with an ad blocker ;)

ROBOT DREAMS is very cute. Saw it at TIFF last week.

12 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I fucking hated Everything Everywhere.  One of the most annoying movies I've ever seen

Same here!

Yes, those two movies are easily my favorite movies out of all the best picture winners of the past 15 years (everything since No Country For Old Men won)

19 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Wow, out of the four Best Score nominees that I know the Williams score is my least favourite.

How's the Killers of the Flower Moon score? I barely seen anyone talking about it.

And what about Poor Things? From what I've seen, it seems like one of those scores that "works well in the movie, but horrible to listen to".

I just sampled Poor Things. It must work unbelievably well in the film. It's one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard on an album, ranging from completely inoffensive guitar ramblings to... fuck knows what. Not for me.

A quick listen to Flower Moon and I get a sense of where we're going here. It's just the contenders for best picture being given a music nod, plus Williams' yearly token.

Oppenheimer first impressions... this one's actually a score but doesn't immediately leap out at me as overly interesting, really. Sort of comes across as some documentary library music.

So against my better judgements, DoD may indeed be the most musically effective and enjoyable of this lot, but I think that's 100% a reflection on the rest of the nominations being so unmusical, and not that JW should win.

I listened to it twice and I don't know what else I could liken it to but a broken music box with missing pins. I was quite intrigued in the beginning but got bored both times halfway through.

27 minutes ago, thestat said:

Oh wow. Sorry for you. I hope you have at 30 people writing your posts from now on. And you need to make sure you don't rock the boat - the middle aisle, all the way, no emotion, pure instrumental functionality. ie, nothing.

For future posts, Edmilson should write a few dot points (or even some key words) and then his team of 50 will be able to construct simple sentences to flesh them out. Words over 5 letters long are banned (too complicated), as are posts less than 500 words (we want to see absolutely everything he writes, no trimming required). Also, there must be a minimum of 20 posts a day (to ensure quality never exceeds quantity), and I expect to see the same posts over and over with minimal alterations (repetition is strongly encouraged).

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

How's the Killers of the Flower Moon score? I barely seen anyone talking about it.

It is quite unspectacular in a way, but also very effective. As Thor pointed out, what makes it special is that it is really well spotted. In the film it is effectively used as kind of a constant anxious thumping (less in a muscial and more in a figurative sense). Another pro is the vintage sound.

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

And what about Poor Things? From what I've seen, it seems like one of those scores that "works well in the movie, but horrible to listen to".

As many have pointed out, it's barely enjoyable on album, but really cool in the film. It beats Indy V in originality, so there's that.

Ok. Considering that the academy almost never gives the trophy to sequel scores (I guess there were only Return of the King and The Godfather II) Williams really has no chance of winning, even though I still believe, he wrote the best score. But that isn't a real criterion in that context as we all know.

Yeah, I feel the film is a bit over-scored, at some points, but that more Nolan's way of doing things. Goransson's score works great within the film, truly elevating some sequences like the Trinity test. On album is a great listening experience, moody, atmospheric and hypnotic, with some interesting interplay between synths and orchestra. It's actually more thematic than it appears at first, and that's something I've noticed with many Goransson scores, where I only fully appreciate what he's doing after several listens.

I'm nearing the end of the album and I haven't had any thematic material leap out at me as such but it's got such an absorbing, hypnotic sound and such interesting synth/orchestra interplay that it doesn't feel like it needs a big Williams style theme. Not once in over 90 minutes have I gotten bored. As an overall listening experience I like this more than DoD but they are two extremely different types of score.