Feb 2, 2024 : JOHN WILLIAMS curates A Century of Film Music

karelm

High praise for Thomas Newman, "The Night Window" is the only piece in there since 1989. 

And Papa Alfred is the only one who merited two separate entries besides JW himself ;)

"Hey John, would you be willing to talk us through a history of Hollywood music--we will feature some of your music?"

"Are you including Star Wars?"

"Of course, don't be silly."

"Then no."

"Oh, well, how about this...."  

Would've been curious to see what piece he'd choose to represent Horner. He included Titanic in the Oscars film music tribute all those years ago (didn't he curate and arrange that medley?)

Nothing from Steiner, Mancini or Barry either. GWTW, Moon River and Out of Africa (or something from Bond) would've been fine additions.

Guess you can't include everything...

9 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

High praise for Thomas Newman, "The Night Window" is the only piece in there since 1989. 

;)

It's a very Williams-like selection for various reasons.  A bit unconventional in its emotional approach to the scene and more stylistically modern than his own style but not TOO dissimilar (think how he praised Shawshank and Life of Pi)

A beautiful greatest hits program.

If I would have to change one piece, then I would replace Elfman's Batman with Kamen's theme from Highlander.

Don't know why. I always wanted to hear that in concert. But I am not going anyway.

This means he just chose the pieces being performed, right? He won’t be there presenting anything?

43 minutes ago, rpvee said:

This means he just chose the pieces being performed, right? He won’t be there presenting anything?

He definitely chose them.  Whether he is there to talk about them or add program notes or such is less clear.  I would not be surprised if he is there and presents.  

5 hours ago, Tom said:

He definitely chose them.

Well I think he chose *some* of them. My guess is that David Newman assembled the program and he sent it over to Williams for approval and possible suggestions. This concert looks like a DN passion project and David knows that everything sells with JW’s name attached to it. Regardless, the concert looks fantastic and I’m sure it will be great. 

It's kinda hard to picture Williams choosing the Batman theme, and for some reason Back to the Future also feels like a stretch. 1917 must be in there as a token modern selection. The rest seem on point. Also... this concert looks fucking awesome!!

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago in Cleveland, Williams did Horner's An American Tail as an encore.  It would be cool he/Newman did that here.  You cannot include everyone and this program is pretty damn good, but Horner would be nice. 

3 hours ago, geom_00 said:

My wife and I are actually going to this for the Sunday Performance!!

Please remember your strict moral obligation to give to us a full report!

3 hours ago, geom_00 said:

My wife and I are actually going to this for the Sunday Performance!!

I'll be there a that time too!!!!  Do you know if there will be a preconcert talk?  

The rain cancelled our vacation plans, so was just able to convince the missus to go to the Friday show. :banana:

On 31/01/2024 at 5:45 PM, karelm said:

I'll be there a that time too!!!!  Do you know if there will be a preconcert talk?  

Looks like there will be pre-concert talks an hour before all of the showtimes:
https://www.laphil.com/learn/engage-with-the-music/upbeat-live

13 hours ago, atmicwedgy said:

I have to admit that I wasn’t prepared for how moving a live performance of 1917’s “The Night Window” would be. 

That is a very striking moment in the film too.  I saw the film in a theater and my jaw dropped during that sequence.  Really an excellent film and score.  Incredibly moving climax through a structurally flawless film.

On 31/01/2024 at 4:59 PM, Tom said:

Please remember your strict moral obligation to give to us a full report!

I will do my best to give a full and accurate report!