Star Wars: John Williams Original Handwritten Music Manuscript for the Opening Auction

aj_vader

How much is a kidney worth on the black market these days?

“[Len] was an ‘analog’ man, saying there is no purer sound, and he refused to go digital, to which John Williams (along with the likes of Jerry Goldsmith) heartily agreed.”

Is this the first time we’ve had evidence of JW having an opinion on recording technology? I suppose there was the ‘VU-VU’ anecdote about pushing the recording levels on the brass to get a bit of analogue distortion ‘bite’, wasn’t there?

Mark

14 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Is this the first time we’ve had evidence of JW having an opinion on recording technology? I suppose there was the ‘VU-VU’ anecdote about pushing the recording levels on the brass to get a bit of analogue distortion ‘bite’, wasn’t there?

Where did he say this?

Len built his home in the Bel Air hills in the 1960s and turned it into a state-of-the-art music studio complete with recording, re-recording, and mixing abilities.

I wonder what exactly is meant by re-recording ability here. Playing the music through loudspeakers and recording the output in order to add room acoustics?

On 15/02/2024 at 4:37 PM, aj_vader said:

I wonder how much Doug Adams will pay for this... to go with his Star Wars pencil...

It should've been written out to me.

On a more serious note, does a recording of the initial run-up exist anywhere?

On 16/02/2024 at 4:45 AM, Loert said:

On a more serious note, does a recording of the initial run-up exist anywhere?

The complete recording sessions of the Main Title were a hidden bonus track on the 2-Disc '97 Special Edition set.

@phbart managed to piece together the correct take portions used to make the Film Version; later, I combined the best leftover bits that weren't used in the Film Version (including the original run-up, recorded on Takes 16 through 18) into two tracks for fanedits and playlists:

9 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

This really has to go into a museum. George Lucas or John Williams himself should claim it and donate it to some hallowed institution or trust.

If this is true then I'm sure The Maestro has some odds and ends at his house.

32 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

If this is true then I'm sure The Maestro has some odds and ends at his house.

A Bleistift, ja ja.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

"us"?

YOU do this!?

Yup. And my favourite song is the Imperial March. I love when John plays that song at concerts. 😄

22 minutes ago, Faleel said:

I love the lyrics too! They speak to me!

"Laa laa laa la la-laaaa"

And no one could sing the Star Wars Main Title song like Bill Murray!

9 hours ago, BB-8 said:

"...the dots on the paper...they are worth nothing."

- John Williams -

I happen to own an orchestra, so the dots are worth something to me. Please forward all original music sheets with dots on them to my address...

On 16/02/2024 at 12:08 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Where did he say this?

I wonder what exactly is meant by re- recording

Re- recording is the final mixing of music, dialog and sound effects for a motion picture soundtrack

On 17/02/2024 at 4:04 AM, QuartalHarmony said:

For the love of all that’s good and holy,  NO-ONE tell Mattris this. We’ll never hear the end of it. In italics.

He already knows. And he's surprised you don't. 

On 16/02/2024 at 5:42 AM, Datameister said:

This is so cool. Notice that JW does call for "drs", i.e. drums, i.e. snare or field drums, along with the timpani. I always wondered about that, since you pretty much just hear timpani in the ANH recording. There isn't any (audible) snare drum until later recordings.

I think you can hear the snare(s) in the center channel of the Atmos mix. (It sounded like a single snare drum to me, but I could be wrong of course.) They sound noticeably duller (more tom-like) than they do in other cues.

And yes, so cool to finally have a peak at this sketch! Really makes me wish the entire sketch score were available for study.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, when it was $10,000 I was half-heartedly thinking of selling some investments to buy it as an investment. I certainly had a feeling it could be worth more than $10k. It'll be interesting to see if this comes up for auction again in a few years