John Williams In Tokyo - New live concert album coming May 3rd, 2024 from Deutsche Grammophon

Nathan95

Holy crap !!!

"The digital album is available for pre-order from today, with details of the physical editions to follow – including a deluxe limited edition vinyl box set to include Williams’ recordings from Vienna, Berlin, Boston and Tokyo for release later in the year."

"Later in the year, Deutsche Grammophon will continue to celebrate the art of John Williams with the release of John Williams in Concert, a deluxe and very limited 7LP vinyl box set featuring his latest DG recordings alongside exclusive fan content. The release, available to pre-order on 4 May, will include his historic Vienna, Berlin and Boston concerts as well as the newest addition, John Williams in Tokyo. Parallel to this release, a week-long John Williams celebration will take over STAGE+ featuring selected concerts, both new and from the archive."

image.png

Source:

John Williams in Tokyo - John Williams | Deutsche Grammophon

Holy crap !!!

"The digital album is available for pre-order from today, with details of the physical editions to follow – including a deluxe limited edition vinyl box set to include Williams’ recordings from Vienna, Berlin, Boston and Tokyo for release later in the year."

"Later in the year, Deutsche Grammophon will continue to celebrate the art of John Williams with the release of John Williams in Concert, a deluxe and very limited 7LP vinyl box set featuring his latest DG recordings alongside exclusive fan content. The release, available to pre-order on 4 May, will include his historic Vienna, Berlin and Boston concerts as well as the newest addition, John Williams in Tokyo. Parallel to this release, a week-long John Williams celebration will take over STAGE+ featuring selected concerts, both new and from the archive."

image.png

Source:

John Williams in Tokyo - John Williams | Deutsche Grammophon

Looks like we still won't be getting Vienna II.

Wowwww, that box set sounds incredible!!! I wonder what the bonus content will be. I’m sure it’ll cost an arm and a leg, but if the vinyl editions in the box are exclusive in some way (like the limited gold variants the individual releases had when they first went on sale), it'll be perfect. Also excited to see what concerts are unearthed on Stage+!

The choice to release a box set now with Japan done also feels a bit… definitive? Surely this isn’t the end of their John Williams live releases?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe JW has told them he is done with international flights?

Very possible.  He looked ragged in the Japan videos (not a criticism, anyone would. but for a 92 year old, that is crazy intense).  

I think it's more a case of milking the cow once more before starting new projects (e.g., the piano concerto).

To be honest, I would prefer an Ultimate CD Box Set, including the complete Vienna II material and the archival recordings from La Scala.

15 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So what is this Boston thing they're adding?

I believe it'll be "Violin Concerto No. 2 & Selected Film Themes", which was recorded in Boston in October 2021. It features the Concerto, along with Theme from The Long Goodbye, Han Solo and the Princess, and Marion's Theme. Notably, the release has no audience applause before and after pieces (except for the Blu-Ray version).

16 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So what is this Boston thing they're adding? I say we could still be getting Vienna 2, but woe betide them if it's vinyl exclusive.

The violin concerto #2 with the extra ASM pieces I expect.

Really glad to get a recording of this Tokyo concert. But what stroke me when reading this was the complete absence of Milan mention, making me wondering if DG was refused to record it and now choose to completely ignore this concert

Judging by the mic layout, Milan was not properly recorded - archival quality likely just for some (obscure) internal use at La Scala as noted elsewhere.

It does seem odd given that Chailly and this orchestra are in with DECCA (Universal).

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

It's actually quite cruel, if not sadistic, to throw something "very limited" at one of the largest fan communities in the classical/orchestral genre.

I wouldn't worry about that, it's limited now. Once they've sold out, you'll get your 30 mainstream editions.

Maybe this has passed me by in the discussion, but no mention of a Blu-ray from the Tokyo concert, right? I'm still on the lookout for the Berlin and Vienna concerts on Blu-ray, so no hurry or anything, but would be nice to know if one was planned, in addition to the vinyl set.

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

It's actually quite cruel, if not sadistic, to throw something "very limited" at one of the largest fan communities in the classical/orchestral genre.

Yes, but on the other hand, there doesn't seem to be anything exclusive to its content. And all this extra deluxe premium super limited stuff always seems to be reserved for the lower quality formats (LP) anyway.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes, but on the other hand, there doesn't seem to be anything exclusive to its content. And all this extra deluxe premium super limited stuff always seems to be reserved for the lower quality formats (LP) anyway.

Yes, and the vinyl quality really hasn't been that grand in the past...

Yep, 7 LPs.

My concern is that 7 is not enough to include a significant amount of bonus material.

Can't quite see the point.

I'm sure they are saving the remaining Stephane' tracks for a special edition. But the Blu Ray will have the full show

You can't just edit the concert having Seiji Tributes in the beginning.  

On 23/02/2024 at 12:23 PM, Thor said:

Maybe this has passed me by in the discussion, but no mention of a Blu-ray from the Tokyo concert, right?

I am feeling confused: are we getting the Blu-ray or not?

32 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

I am feeling confused: are we getting the Blu-ray or not?

Right now only a CD release is announced. The video can be streamed though. No mention of a future Bluray release yet.

10 minutes ago, Steve said:

No mention of a future Bluray release yet.

Wrong. See the Universal Japan link in this post:

Google Translate says:

Furthermore, there are also plans to release audio and video products such as CDs and Blu-rays from this Tokyo performance, and details will be announced at a later date.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Wrong. See the Universal Japan link in this post:

Google Translate says:

Ok lets see. Would be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Pre-order alert!

Deluxe Edition SACD + Blu-ray.

https://www.universal-music.co.jp/john-williams/products/ucgg-9233/

Also at CDJapan. 

Yes! Got an email from CDJapan this morning with a pre-order for the SACD - pre-order in!

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCGG-9233

Yet another "March" of resistance?

A limited Deluxe Edition can be many things...

...a VARIETY of issues.

4 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Pre-order alert!

Deluxe Edition SACD + Blu-ray.

https://www.universal-music.co.jp/john-williams/products/ucgg-9233/

Also at CDJapan. 

Okay great so the Deluxe Edition SACD actually contains the full concert with all 17 pieces, while the normal CD, Vinyl and digital release have just 12 (what a nonsense decision). 

This limited deluxe edition includes a 2-CD SACD hybrid set containing all 17 songs performed at the Tokyo concert and a Blu-ray with all live footage. SA-CD hybrid audio specification: DSD 2.0ch Stereo/CD Stereo. Blu-ray Specifications: Single-sided Dual Layer/MPEG4/AVC/COLOR/16:9/1080 High Definition/59.94i/with menu screen. Subtitles: Japanese. Audio Specifications: 1. linear PCM (96kHz/24bit) 2ch STEREO/2. DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO 2.0ch (48kHz/24bit) 5.1ch/ 3. Dolby Atmos (48kHz/24bit) 7.1ch.

Is this exclusive to Japan?!

1 hour ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Okay great so the Deluxe Edition SACD actually contains the full concert with all 17 pieces, while the normal CD, Vinyl and digital release have just 12 (what a nonsense decision). 

Just like the Berlin concert, right?

26 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Is this exclusive to Japan?!

Just like the Berlin concert, right?

CDJapan ships internationally.

I expect similar editions to emerge in the "West", but think 2×SACD + Bluray is an unlikely format, perhaps 2×CD + Bluray or Bluray AUDIO + Bluray + 1×CD...who knows...

My concern is the 7 LP edition...

51 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Bring on the Vienna 2 announcement already.

already? You mean "for heaven's sake".

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

CDJapan ships internationally.

I expect similar editions to emerge in the "West", but think 2×SACD + Bluray is an unlikely format, perhaps 2×CD + Bluray or Bluray AUDIO + Bluray + 1×CD...who knows...

My concern is the 7 LP edition...

already? You mean "for heaven's sake".

Already can mean many things... For heaven's sake, for fuck's sake...

Is this an exclusive thing, or can we expect to order from DG or other retailers? Comes out to about $100US, which is a lot more than I paid for any other DG Blu-Ray.  

On 24/02/2024 at 10:09 AM, Amer said:

I'm sure they are saving the remaining Stephane' tracks for a special edition. But the Blu Ray will have the full show

You can't just edit the concert having Seiji Tributes in the beginning.  

Glad this finally happened. Just ordered the Deluxe Edition with both the SACD and Blu Ray!!!

I think you were the first to post it, yeah.  It's a second single from the album, also on spotify, tidal, etc

https://tidal.com/browse/album/348354309

Should probably be on @Bespin's discography along with Superman I guess

The comprehensive discography is on jwfan.com now, so you can update it yourself if you want! Or ask @Junion, thanks!

I ordered my set with some other stuff from CD Japan, as they already tax me the vat and things go smother with customs. While I didn't do any comparison with Arksquare, had I bough only the Tokyo Concert SACD+BD set, the total would be around 90 euros, VAT for Portugal included (so, no extra custom charges).

As I don't believe Arksquare charges you the VAT, you would have do add the expected tax and other custom charges to the final value you would end up paying for the set.

So you can get the LP by itself without getting the boxset? I love a good boxset but I don’t love double dipping since I already have Berlin and Vienna. 

8 hours ago, Toillion said:

So you can get the LP by itself without getting the boxset? I love a good boxset but I don’t love double dipping since I already have Berlin and Vienna. 

But without double dipping you will miss the bonus vinyl (No. 7).

On 22/02/2024 at 12:47 PM, rpvee said:

I believe it'll be "Violin Concerto No. 2 & Selected Film Themes", which was recorded in Boston in October 2021. It features the Concerto, along with Theme from The Long Goodbye, Han Solo and the Princess, and Marion's Theme. Notably, the release has no audience applause before and after pieces (except for the Blu-Ray version).

6 hours ago, BB-8 said:

But without double dipping you will miss the bonus vinyl (No. 7).

LPs 1 & 2 Vienna, 3 & 4 Berlin, 5 & 6 Tokyo. That leaves only 1 for Boston. The concerto was previously released on vinyl (but the quality was bad). So it would be kind of disappointing if it was that. The selected film themes was released separately on a 10" since that's only about 16 minutes. It could be that they are putting them together for a single LP but the concerto wouldn't fit on one side. It would be kind of weird having I, II, and III on a side and then IV on side 2. They'd also need new stampers for that.

32 minutes ago, Toillion said:

LPs 1 & 2 Vienna, 3 & 4 Berlin, 5 & 6 Tokyo. That leaves only 1 for Boston. The concerto was previously released on vinyl (but the quality was bad). So it would be kind of disappointing if it was that. The selected film themes was released separately on a 10" since that's only about 16 minutes. It could be that they are putting them together for a single LP but the concerto wouldn't fit on one side. It would be kind of weird having I, II, and III on a side and then IV on side 2. They'd also need new stampers for that.

So it seems likely it'll just be a repackaging of what we already have.

But what could the added fan content be? A printed signature art card?