The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

The mastering is a little loud on that one, but it’s such a good score.

That's what the ReLife plugin is for!

5 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

The mastering is a little loud on that one, but it’s such a good score.

This is my biggest complaint about that release, it's just way too loud and uncomfortable to listen to.

Which is such a shame, because the music is so great! But the mastering ruins the listenability of the music, IMO.

For a while I had a custom edit of Galaxy Quest that used the composer promo where possible and the LLL to fill in the gaps. I think I ultimately decided the listening experience was too uneven.

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

For a while I had a custom edit of Galaxy Quest that used the composer promo where possible and the LLL to fill in the gaps. I think I ultimately decided the listening experience was too uneven.

13 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

That's what the ReLife plugin is for!

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/1732/

Seriously, it really helps to take the edge off the listening fatigue of compressed tracks.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

How does it know which parts of make quieter?

I don't entirely know how it works, but I am guessing it takes the loud compressed parts and attempts to restore those, which ends up pushing the quiet parts "down" along with them in the process?

All I can definitely say is that it makes compressed music way, way less headache inducing.

56 minutes ago, Clockwork Angel said:

I don't entirely know how it works, but I am guessing it takes the loud compressed parts and attempts to restore those, which ends up pushing the quiet parts "down" along with them in the process?

All I can definitely say is that it makes compressed music way, way less headache inducing.

What settings did you use exactly? I tried playing around with it last night and the waveform was still brickwalled. Turning up the "Shape" knob just added some weird distortion in the louder parts.

45 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Hm interesting, it's only giving me a few knobs and that's not one of them. 🤔

Untitled-1.jpg

Wrong ReLife. That ReLife is by Analog Obsession, The ReLife I am talking about is by Terry West Productions:

https://www.terrywest.nl/x64.html

4 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Seriously, it really helps to take the edge off the listening fatigue of compressed tracks.

Well it‘s a nice idea, but I have a mac and this tool is apparently PC only.

1 hour ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Wrong ReLife. That ReLife is by Analog Obsession, The ReLife I am talking about is by Terry West Productions:

https://www.terrywest.nl/x64.html

ah.gif

6 hours ago, Jay said:

How does it know which parts of make quieter?

5 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

That is something I've thought about before - I wonder if it's possible, for scores where lossy sources exist but without dynamic range compression (for example lossy leaks, or videogames files) - if it would be possible to use the dynamic range data from the lossy source and apply it to the lossless one. Would you be able to accurately unbrickwall the lossless cue?

1 hour ago, enderdrag64 said:

That is something I've thought about before - I wonder if it's possible, for scores where lossy sources exist but without dynamic range compression (for example lossy leaks, or videogames files) - if it would be possible to use the dynamic range data from the lossy source and apply it to the lossless one. Would you be able to accurately unbrickwall the lossless cue?

I've attempted something similar before. Hypothetically it's possible, but you'd have to make sure the sources sync up 100% or you'll still get phasing. The spectrogram might look a little goofy too.

You can actually also use this method and invert to hear the distortion that the brickwalling causes.

9 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Does it help for brickwalling too?

EDIT: nevermind, I read further.

How about correcting the volume dips on those film stem cues on LLL's hook?

Does this plugin play nice with Audacity?

On 30/01/2023 at 6:46 PM, Bryant Burnette said:

La-La Land is struggling recently.  That big batch of Trek I ordered, they crammed them all into a box that was too small, and the result of that was three cases with busted teeth on multiple trays.  The bunch of Friday the 13ths I got today, they sent me Part 1 instead of Part 2.  Sheesh.

I finally got the replacement Friday Part 2...

image.png

I don't even know how a case gets warped like that.  The disc plays fine, though, and I just used the case from the F13 Part 1 (which they let me keep).  Still ... yikes.

11 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Does it help for brickwalling too?

EDIT: nevermind, I read further.

How about correcting the volume dips on those film stem cues on LLL's hook?

Does this plugin play nice with Audacity?

It did the last I checked, that's how I usually used it, though with all of Audacity's recent updates it's hard to be sure.

8 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

It seems packages go through hell before arriving home. Talk about a detour….

Oh, this had nothing to do with shipping.  It was wrapped heavily in bubble wrap alongside three empty quadruple-disc cases they sent me as replacements for poorly-packaged ones that got damaged in a previous shipment.  Those were all fine.  I don't think this one could possibly have been damaged during shipment.

17 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I've attempted something similar before. Hypothetically it's possible, but you'd have to make sure the sources sync up 100% or you'll still get phasing. The spectrogram might look a little goofy too.

You can actually also use this method and invert to hear the distortion that the brickwalling causes.

In your previous attempts did you use the same plugin mentioned above or something else

3 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I don't think this one could possibly have been damaged during shipment.

Unless it got repackaged on its way to you.

39 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

In your previous attempts did you use the same plugin mentioned above or something else

No plugins, just manual spectral editing in Audacity.

4 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

It did the last I checked, that's how I usually used it, though with all of Audacity's recent updates it's hard to be sure.

I still use the last version of Audacity before Muse acquired it and didn't have any luck getting the free 32-bit version to work (in any of my DAWs actually). Maybe the paid 64-bit version works, but I'm not paying $20 just to find out. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

No plugins, just manual spectral editing in Audacity.

I still use the last version of Audacity before Muse acquired it and didn't have any luck getting the free 32-bit version to work (in any of my DAWs actually). Maybe the paid 64-bit version works, but I'm not paying $20 just to find out. :lol:

Did you put it in the right folder?

I remember I put it in several different folders (including both 32 and 64 versions of Program Files) till I found the right one (or I ended up pirating a later version.....)

6 minutes ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Did you put it in the right folder?

I remember I put it in several different folders (including both 32 and 64 versions of Program Files) till I found the right one (or I ended up pirating a later version.....)

I put it into two of the default VST folders, guess I'll try all of them and see what happens!

1 minute ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I put it into two of the default VST folders, guess I'll try all of them and see what happens!

Don't forget Audacity's Plug-in folders!

8 minutes ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Don't forget Audacity's Plug-in folders!

star-wars-its-working.gif

Oh my, it works so much better than Audacity's built-in Clip Fix tool! It's somehow able to detect the parts that should be louder, such as cymbal hits :o

I’ve been priming up for ordering whatever gets announced in April but all these shipping concerns have me worried about ordering directly from the LLL website again. I hate that I have to consider ordering from other websites like Intrada in order to get better service.

Perhaps a good time to pick some LLL titles:

MARCH MADNESS IN LA-LA LAND!!! Take 25% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER of ALL IN-STOCK soundtrack titles! (Discount will be applied at checkout - special applies to in-stock titles only.)

Special Offer is good now thru 3/16

BACK IN STOCK! SUPERMAN THE MOVIE (3-CD SET) and SUPERMAN 2&3 (3-CD SET) are flying back in stock FOR THE LAST TIME! When these are gone, they are gone!!! (NOTE: Orders containing SUPERMAN THE MOVIE and SUPERMAN 2&3 will start shipping after 3/10)

ALSO BACK IN STOCK! FIELD OF DREAMS (2-CD SET) and LESS THAN ZERO have returned! Get these now as part of this site-wide special!

BACK IN STOCK! SUPERMAN THE MOVIE (3-CD SET - LAST BATCH!!!) , SUPERMAN 2&3 (3-CD SET - LAST BATCH), FIELD OF DREAMS (2-CD SET), LESS THAN ZERO, BRAM STOKER’S DRACULA (3-CD SET), FRIDAY THE 13th PART 8WONDER WOMAN TV SERIES (3-CD SET – FINAL BATCH) and BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER COLLECTION (4-CD SET)

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Are those the only ones you’re missing? Vol. V has some particularly significant expansions, plus a couple delightful premieres!

Yavar

I figured these are the ones I need to start with and hopefully go onto the others but I'm not going to dip for THE BLUE MAX again that's for sure!

6 hours ago, Amer said:

I figured these are the ones I need to start with and hopefully go onto the others but I'm not going to dip for THE BLUE MAX again that's for sure!

Oh. III and IV were much more significant to get than II, which only added a single short cue to The Flim-Flam Man compared to the FSM release (if you got that, which I figure you did). We did Soundtrack Spotlights on those last three for a reason!

Vol. III had the CD premiere of Goldsmith’s first work for Fox, the great finale cue “Pacer’s Farewell” from the Elvis western Flaming Star (1960), plus a *substantial* expansion of SPYS: 

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8553668-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-goldsmith-at-20th-vol-iii-flaming-star-1960-the-stripper-1963-s-p-y-s-1974

Vol. IV had the most significant restoration, with Chris Malone’s astounding work on Ace Eli and Rodger of the Skies, turning it from something I never wanted to listen to, into something I really enjoyed listening to... just check out the before/after comparisons in this podcast which I think are some of the most dramatic improvements on an FSM release ever (maybe even moreso than the new Mattesino master of Rio Conchos).

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/9378792-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-goldsmith-at-20th-vol-iv-ace-eli-and-rodger-of-the-skies-1973-tora-tora-tora-1970

Yavar

14 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Oh. III and IV were much more significant to get than II, which only added a single short cue to The Flim-Flam Man compared to the FSM release (if you got that, which I figure you did). We did Soundtrack Spotlights on those last three for a reason!

Vol. III had the CD premiere of Goldsmith’s first work for Fox, the great finale cue “Pacer’s Farewell” from the Elvis western Flaming Star (1960), plus a *substantial* expansion of SPYS: 

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8553668-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-goldsmith-at-20th-vol-iii-flaming-star-1960-the-stripper-1963-s-p-y-s-1974

Vol. IV had the most significant restoration, with Chris Malone’s astounding work on Ace Eli and Rodger of the Skies, turning it from something I never wanted to listen to, into something I really enjoyed listening to... just check out the before/after comparisons in this podcast which I think are some of the most dramatic improvements on an FSM release ever (maybe even moreso than the new Mattesino master of Rio Conchos).

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/9378792-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-goldsmith-at-20th-vol-iv-ace-eli-and-rodger-of-the-skies-1973-tora-tora-tora-1970

Yavar

I didnt have Flim Flam Man which was on my list. Ofcourse I will get tho the rest eventually and yes I did hear the those episodes on the series!

Honestly with my own currency slidding down so hard against the USD I cant offord to get all those titles in this sale soJust 2 volumes for now!!!

On 02/03/2023 at 5:44 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I know they're on a break and that's why your statement makes sense, but it still sounds tautologically like "less than an hour until the next full hour".

I forgot to post on March 1 that we were a month away from April's flyer, so I posted on March 2nd.  Sorry you didn't like my grammar when I did.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Sorry you didn't like my grammar when I did.

Oh come one, you tend to take these comments way too seriously. I even added a sort of disclaimer to show that it's in no way meant as criticism. I just find odd typos, or sentences that make no sense out of context funny, like announcing that the next monthly flyer is less than a month away, when really monthly flyers (which they're not) would never be more than a month away. I find this stuff amusing, and I'd point it out and laugh about just as much if I'd posted it myself.