The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

11 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

What I really want is CMIYC or The Terminal, so it’ll probably be The Patriot.

What a disappoitment that would be :P

14 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Wasn't the Original Series box a financial bust for LLL? Why bother reissuing any of it?

It's a marketing tie in with the soundtrack show podcast ;)

20 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

Well as I have the Star Trek set (and slowly listening to it all again!) I assume that won't be for me, but that is a lot of Fuzz... always up for some David Arnold action.

3 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

How 'complete' should we expect MI: Dead Reckoning part 1?

Well so far none of the MIs have been complete on their first releases...

1 minute ago, A. A. Ron said:

Well so far none of the MIs have been complete on their first releases...

crazy MI gets 2 disc releases and DoD doesn't :crymore:

i figured 2 disc 'initial' releases must be fairly complete

Yeah, its just a "normal" soundtrack release.

Just now, Bellosh said:

Most films these days get super long releases

Just now, Bellosh said:

i figured 2 disc 'initial' releases must be fairly complete

No, it's just the modern Hans Zimmer approach of making a 90-100 minute album.

Just now, A. A. Ron said:

No, it's just the modern Hans Zimmer approach of making a 90-100 minute album.

As opposed to the VG approach of 4+ hr albums?

Terrific batch. I'm so glad Star Trek is coming back as I missed the big boxset. Hot Fuzz is a really fun score so definitly picking it up. And if Dead Reckoning is as good as Fallout I'm getting it too

I thought Hot Fuzz had come out in some form recently, and Spotify has a 40 minute album from 2022 so I assume this one will be fully complete. Not a score I really noticed in the movie tbh.

Sad to say but it's been a very long time since LLL has put out anything that interested me. I'd really hoped that after the JP box they'd be looking to get Davis' score out.

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Sad to say but it's been a very long time since LLL has put out anything that interested me. I'd really hoped that after the JP box they'd be looking to get Davis' score out.

Yeah pretty disappointing. HP4 could have followed the HP box too, it's been almost 5 years...!

Hot Fuzz might be interesting, I liked the bits I heard from the OST. Also can't to hear Dead Reckoning, hopefully the 2-CD set will cover most of the complete score.

I love that Star Trek is coming back for people who missed it.   I love my box set so much, I want to buy this as a backup.  Is that wrong?

Can never have enough important music staying in print and affordable.  I need someone to reissue the Ten Commandments.

If they came out with a "best of" TOS set, 2-4 discs covering the best and most memorable cues, I'd probably get that, I remember liking a lot of stuff when I watched the episodes. But if it's a straight complete reissue... then yeah, that's not what I'll sink my money into.

As far as I remember from the film, Hot Fuzz is solid. I have neither that nor the old TOS box, but I have no particular interest, either.

MI: Dead Reckoning would have to be at least three times as good as it's predecessor to not severely disappoint me in the film, and it still wouldn't be good enough to get it on album.

2 hours ago, Signals said:

As opposed to the VG approach of 4+ hr albums?

Not to say that's ideal, but keep in mind that structurally, linear film scores and dynamic video game scores are totally different beasts. A game score for the same "running time" as a film may have easily run much longer than the full film score in raw form (and probably requires much more editing to make a listenable album). And a video game's running time may far exceed that of a film, too.

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

How 'complete' should we expect MI: Dead Reckoning part 1?

More than Dial of Destiny, that's for sure.

For fuck's sake, we live in a world where Lorne Balfe scores get nearly complete releases while John Williams scores have over a half of it missing. Why can't it be the opposite? Because of Williams' strictly adherence to the so called listening experience (which would be better if there was a least 15 more minutes of music)?

Dead Reckoning will probably be reasonably comprehensive but it won't be complete, based on what they did with Fallout.

I had to add some stuff from the isolated score on top of some selections from the original album to get all of the highlights that I wanted.

55 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As far as I remember from the film, Hot Fuzz is solid. I have neither that nor the old TOS box, but I have no particular interest, either.

MI: Dead Reckoning would have to be at least three times as good as it's predecessor to not severely disappoint me in the film, and it still wouldn't be good enough to get it on album.

Not to say that's ideal, but keep in mind that structurally, linear film scores and dynamic video game scores are totally different beasts. A game score for the same "running time" as a film may have easily run much longer than the full film score in raw form (and probably requires much more editing to make a listenable album). And a video game's running time may far exceed that of a film, too.

No need to fansplain video game scores to me :) I was just making a joke/point that long albums isn't entirely an HZ thing.

HOOK or THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK would’ve been nice. 
HOT FUZZ looks promising because of Arnold, but I haven’t seen the film and don’t know the score. 

Let’s see what LLL has for August. 

The last time someone limited something to 1701, it was an instant sellout and made Star Trek toy history.  I imagine the Trek CDs are going to sell at (ahem) Warp Speed. 

31 minutes ago, JTW said:

Lorne Balfe sells better than John Williams. (Irony)

I know you're joking, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if LB is more popular than JW on streaming services, especially for younger people. Balfe and Junkie are like gods for the kids with their ePiK sKoReS while JW is just the boring old white guy that their parents like. 

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I know you're joking, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if LB is more popular than JW on streaming services, especially for younger people. Balfe and Junkie are like gods for the kids with their ePiK sKoReS while JW is just the boring old white guy that their parents like. 

That would both mean that we’re old and that kids nowadays have awful taste. But yes, as sad and disappointing as it sounds, it might as well be true. Just look at the most financially successful films in recent years: they were all scored either by Hans or Lorne or both of them together.

The last financially successful film John Williams wrote the music to was Rise of Skywalker in 2019. 

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's a fun film.

And how’s the score? 

5 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Wasn't the Original Series box a financial bust for LLL? Why bother reissuing any of it?

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

According to who? They sold out of it.

Speaking of drinking, we have the champagne chilled. This puppy is down to the last 200 units and change. Didn't sell the initial 6000 units, but we did over 4000 of them

MV

Now I may have been thinking of the 50th Anniversary Lost in Space set when I called the Original Series box a bust, but it still took them 7 years to pull the plug on TOS and they only sold 2/3 as many units as they had the rights to press.

It took me a while to pull the trigger on the TOS box, but I've never regretted it since.

That being said, my greatest fear/hope is that they'll discover lost stereo elements for all the stuff only available in mono. It would be my most expensive double-dip ever, but it would be pretty damn tempting.

1 hour ago, Datameister said:

It took me a while to pull the trigger on the TOS box, but I've never regretted it since.

That being said, my greatest fear/hope is that they'll discover lost stereo elements for all the stuff only available in mono. It would be my most expensive double-dip ever, but it would be pretty damn tempting.

From Neil S. Bulk over on FSM boards

No additional stereo tapes were ever found. After the release in 2012 some original reels of mono library music were located. Previously we only had dubs of these reels. Fun fact: our tape transfer engineer at the time said he never heard dub reels that sounded so good, so take that for what it's worth.

Neil

12 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Now I may have been thinking of the 50th Anniversary Lost in Space set when I called the Original Series box a bust, but it still took them 7 years to pull the plug on TOS and they only sold 2/3 as many units as they had the rights to press.

Wait, I'm confused. ARe you saying they have the rights to sell X copies, but pull the plug before they have sold all of them? Why would you do that? Why not just wait until people show interest and then press more?

16 hours ago, Edmilson said:

we live in a world where Lorne Balfe scores get nearly complete releases while John Williams scores have over a half of it missing.

Not sure if this is the case, but could it be that M:I uses less players and more synthetic stuff and it is less costly to issue more of it?