John Williams – The Tanglewood 90th Birthday Celebration (8/20/22)

Andrej

Anyone know if the Boston Symphony from Tanglewood at WCRB will carry the concert? I know sometimes the live events are not broadcasted when the material is like this. For example, during the July 2019 Across the Stars concert, they played a different archive concert that evening. 

(I had planned to go, but it did not work out.)

16 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I believe we are getting a broadcast, just as we did ten years ago.

Across the Stars had to do with the timing of the release of the album, the concert was later broadcast in 2020.

You mean the Across the Stars concert at Tanglewood was broadcast?

18 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Yes, it was.

I do remember hearing that, I think during the 2021 Tanglewood Season.

On 12/8/2022 at 5:51 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

I believe we are getting a broadcast, just as we did ten years ago.

Wonderful!

So this thing is really and truly sold out, eh?  Do people think if I showed up at the door they'd sell me a ticket anyway?

Or, does anybody here have any extra tickets they don't need?

6 hours ago, Jay said:

So this thing is really and truly sold out, eh?  Do people think if I showed up at the door they'd sell me a ticket anyway?

Or, does anybody here have any extra tickets they don't need?

Maybe through resellers. 
https://www.stubhub.com/john-williams-lenox-tickets-8-20-2022/event/105229992/?quantity=2&listingId=&listingQty=&sections=1626725&ticketClasses=4594

11 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

So who else will actually be there tomorrow? 

I'll be there. On the Mass turnpike now! 

Never been to Tanglewood..or MA...does anyone know if outside food/beverages allowed on the lawn? Thanks!

1 minute ago, yourvigil said:

I'll be there. On the Mass turnpike now! 

Never been to Tanglewood..or MA...does anyone know if outside food/beverages allowed on the lawn? Thanks!

Oops just saw @Jay very nice explanation. Thanks again!

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have purchased a ticket and will attend tonight's concert.  Great weather for an outdoor concert!

What time do gates open again?

Gates open at 5:30

8pm show. Yay! :D

25 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I believe big galas like tonight's tend to sell out too. But for this evening, I'm sure Taylor's presence did help.

I was mostly kidding, but yes, Taylor's presence is probably a small factor.  

Reminder that, as @Miguel Andrade noted above, this concert will be broadcast live on WCRB radio:

https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/the-boston-symphony-orchestra/2022-06-13/a-tanglewood-celebration-of-john-williams

Begins in about 40 minutes.

The program notes (https://dgpuo8cwvztoe.cloudfront.net/uploads/Program-Notes/20220820.pdf) contain the following passage, emphasis added:

"Williams wrote for Seiji!—one of several works under the group title Tributes—in 1999 for his longtime colleague at the BSO for a concert celebrating Ozawa’s 25th anniversary as music director, beginning the short, fanfare-like piece in March and completing it in time for Ozawa to lead the world premiere in April at Symphony Hall, Boston."

Is this true? I can't recall ever hearing of other Tributes by JW.

45 minutes ago, Will said:

The program notes (https://dgpuo8cwvztoe.cloudfront.net/uploads/Program-Notes/20220820.pdf) contain the following passage, emphasis added:

"Williams wrote for Seiji!—one of several works under the group title Tributes—in 1999 for his longtime colleague at the BSO for a concert celebrating Ozawa’s 25th anniversary as music director, beginning the short, fanfare-like piece in March and completing it in time for Ozawa to lead the world premiere in April at Symphony Hall, Boston."

Is this true? I can't recall ever hearing of other Tributes by JW.

I think it's called Tributes because it also acknowledges his "pets" (Williams words) in the orchestra.

1 minute ago, pete said:

What is James Taylor singing? And more importantly, why is James Taylor singing?

I have to say, my wife and I who are listening on the stream are asking the same thing. And why is he neither playing any JW music or music even with a relation to him? (I guess JW did play piano on The King & I film, so that’s a tenuous connection and as JT said, he sang it in 1993.)

I really think this section of the concert should have been much more Jazz influenced with an amazing Jazz singer. I love James Taylor, but it really does seem odd.

The first part of the concert was great and really fun to hear.

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

Guys, I bought my ticket day-of, literally just 5 hours before gates opened, and I'm like 5 rows from stage

PXL_20220821_005645534.jpg

That’s wonderful! I suspect someone donated back their ticket because they could not go last minute. It was definitely sold out a few days ago.

1 hour ago, pete said:

What is James Taylor singing? And more importantly, why is James Taylor singing?

I'm just guessing from the photos that James Taylor is playing the guitar part of JW's Munich theme for cello and guitar off the new Yo Yo Ma album.

What were the encore pieces? I missed the end of the broadcast..  And James Taylor - I knew he had performed with Williams before, and it just occured to me that perhaps Williams would enjoy listening to pieces or songs that are not by him at an event like this, especially performed by friends. I was just selfishly thinking as a fan^

And it's Williams' special day - Gosh, he's sure having a lot of birthday parties! 

18 minutes ago, pete said:

What were the encore pieces? I missed the end of the broadcast..  And James Taylor - I knew he had performed with Williams before, and it just occured to me that perhaps Williams would enjoy listening to pieces or songs that are not by him at an event like this, especially performed by friends. I was just selfishly thinking as a fan^

And it's Williams' special day - Gosh, he's sure having a lot of birthday parties! 

Superman March from the orchestra

Happy Birthday from the guest stars and orchestra

Raiders March conducted by the birthday boy himself

Spectacular photos!  Thanks for sharing! What an amazing night! When he got up to do Indiana Jones I may have said "holy sh!t" half a dozen times...luckily the children near us were asleep! 

There was a VERY entertaining, split-second timed video of photographs to accompany the SUPERMAN encore.  It started with early black and white photos of JW as a child and as a very young musician.  Then it followed his career through the years, with many, many photos of his concerts, film scoring,  and collaborations with various artists and celebrities.   The photos came to a well-timed end with the last notes of SUPERMAN.  Quite effective in showing that HE is our musical Superman.

Ron Burbella

I didn’t have a great view of the screens, did anyone catch who all the taped video messages were from? I could tell the one was Anne-Sophie Mutter, and Steven Spielberg at the end (who also then introduced a surprise addition to the program - Itzhak Perlman performing the theme from Schindler’s List), but I couldn’t make out the first two for sure. 

34 minutes ago, JCM said:

I didn’t have a great view of the screens, did anyone catch who all the taped video messages were from? I could tell the one was Anne-Sophie Mutter, and Steven Spielberg at the end (who also then introduced a surprise addition to the program - Itzhak Perlman performing the theme from Schindler’s List), but I couldn’t make out the first two for sure. 

Andris Nelsons, Music Director of the BSO was the first. Gustavo Dudamel, Music Director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, was the 2nd.