Simon Franglen's AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER (2022)

LSH

17 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The Nickelodeon show for kids will always be the TRUE Avatar for me.! :lol::lol::lol:

It may be for kids but it's better written than many live action adult shows.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Your decision to purchase and hear a score is entirely based around whether it gets release on a shiny CD, and not in any way based on whether you actually like it?

You're massively missing out on the advantages of streaming and previewing, just so that you only ever have to hear music on a nice stereo system.

Not every score, but the score to Avatar 2 in this case, or any specific score I don't watch the film they were written to. If I'm interested in listening to it for a particular reason, I will get the CD, then I will decide if I like the score.

To me art has to be on physical medium, whether it's books, films or soundtracks. 

My Dad collected vinyl and books, and I continue the tradition of collecting the things I like. 

I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I've been very happy listening to and collecting thousands of CDs for the last 30 years. 

I completely emphasize with strongly wanting to own music on CD.

What doesn't make sense is waiting until after you've paid for the CD to find whether you like it. It seems such an unneccessary aversion to listening at all to music on a non-physical medium.

I completely emphasize with strongly wanting to own music on CD.

Well that’s my main reason. I love owning and listening to my music on CD, having a physical collection. 

waiting until after you've paid for the CD to find whether you like it.

I don’t buy every single CD, only those that, for some reason (e.g. I like the composer, I like the film, it’s the sequel to a film and score I like, a friend of mine recommends it etc.) I want to listen to. 99% I buy a

CD nowadays only if I know that even if I’ll dislike it, I will want to have in my collection. So mostly scores by my favorite composers or by classic scores by Golden Age composers or in this case, the sequel to a film I like that has the score by Horner and I’m curious what Franglen did with his themes. So even if I dislike it entirely, which I doubt, I won’t mind having paid for it, because the score is the sequel to a score I already own on CD, so to me it’s worth adding to my collection.
Besides, I love collecting music on CD, I just love having these “shiny pieces of plastic” that have amazing scores on them. And I love their booklets with the informative liner notes, love their artwork, love their smell, and that I can hold them in my hands, and not just browse through digital data on my harddrive. It gives me the pleasure of actually owning individual things. Only a collector knows what it feels like having a collection of books, films or music. It’s great. 

7 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952fd0c0cbbdba1acef0

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95257ea1da60c8c8f7b8

If this is meant for me, thanks, I love bananas. ✌🏻IMG_9499.gif

9 hours ago, JTW said:

So even if I dislike it entirely, which I doubt, I won’t mind having paid for it, because the score is the sequel to a score I already own on CD, so to me it’s worth adding to my collection

I completely get the physical argument - no issues there at all. at one point I really wanted to buy everything on CD too.

Buying CDs because of their composer or connection to a franchise - I've veered towards that very occasionally. I was a bit bummed when I found that the Doctor Who series 9 was completely unavailable on CD because it's the only one I'm missing of the entire post-2005 era, despite my only liking a handful of tracks from it.

But the part I find hardest is essentually refusing to listen to a score using any online form, to give even a sense of whether a score is for you. My favourite composer is JNH but there's no way I would buy everything he does.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I really wanted to buy everything on CD too.

I don’t.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I was a bit bummed when I found that the Doctor Who series 9 was completely unavailable on CD

There are always exceptions to the rule. E.g. I have the score to THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

My favourite composer is JNH but there's no way I would buy everything he does.

He’s one of my favorites as well, and I buy everything by him. 

I dunno, it's an okay score and the Songchord theme is good, but I feel like had it been released 20 or 30 years ago, when great orchestral music was the norm and not the exception, it probably would've received less positive attention. But now, in the age of Lorne Balfe and Junkie XL, when most scores are indistinguishable from sound design, it becomes one of the best scores of the year.

In other words, we were so desperate for decent orchestral stuff that even a passable score like this is like classic Horner.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/06/2023 at 9:06 AM, Pawel P. said:

Been there in Krakow and the Suite sounded fantastic, no generic at all. I spoke to Simon about the chances of a releasing CD. He said that the material was prepared for the CD, but of course it's not up to him to decide.

He promised that he would once again write to people who decide about it. It's obvious he cares about that too.

Wow. I wish I was there! 

Can you describe anything that you remember about the suite? Like what was included and how it flowed etc. Was it primarily mini thematic suites within it or was there any room for big action moments within it?

I hope the FMF post an official video of the suite someday, like they have with previous years' concerts.

• 3 months later...

Disney Records themselves have not sold a lot of physical Star Wars CDs.  Most of the history of Star Wars physical CD sales have been from other labels.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

So he's saying if enough people buy the OST album on physical CD, then Hollywood Records will fund an expanded score album too.

If only they did the same for Indiana Jones 5...

They did, they just decide to print a dozens of those :lol:

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Disney Records themselves have not sold a lot of physical Star Wars CDs.  Most of the history of Star Wars physical CD sales have been from other labels.

I'm pretty sure they sold a lot of CDs and LPs for the sequel trilogy scores 

Sure, but 7 years of them selling physical OST albums in the streaming era is nothing compared to 38 years of OST albums + expansions during the height of physical music sales

Thing is, you don't need a 'complete' version on CD if the main concern is the complete score. Surely the studio should look at sales of the expanded digital version, rather than judging demand for more music on sales of a CD.

And I definitely won't be buying the CD if it turns out to be the first release. Possibly if it's the expanded one.

Thing is, you don't need a 'complete' version on CD if the main concern is the complete score. Surely the studio should look at sales of the expanded digital version, rather than judging demand for more music on sales of a CD.

And I definitely won't be buying the CD if it turns out to be the first release. Possibly if it's the expanded one.

I halv no need for the complete release to happen on CD. Digital is more than enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen any more info about this release? Still not seeing the ability to pre-order at Amazon. Btw @Jay, that “Audio CD” option on the Amazon page for the soundtrack has been there since early this year, maybe even late last year. And I think I recall also seeing that Walmart page months ago, back when the CD was originally supposed to be coming out. :(