John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter @ Heinz Hall (Pittsburgh, PA) - December 12, 2023

SyncMan

18 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I will be soon if you guys wanna grab a drink and toast the maestro 

Redbeards is it, everyone?

Ok settling up on dinner and heading to RedBeard’s. How do I recognize you?

3 minutes ago, Foxfan said:

Ok settling up on dinner and heading to RedBeard’s.

I’m there but tis hard to find a seat at the bar

Just now, Lockdown said:

were wearing our usernames on our shirts

I’m the dork with the courtship of Princess Leia 

2 hours ago, Toronto said:

I literally have one ticket that's going to go to waste tonight. My daughter could not come with me to see this concert. The ticket is in row j which is fairly close to the front.

If there's anybody reading this that wishes to be in this concert tonight and can meet me outside of Heinz Hall, I can sell it for a reduced price and in you go!

I will not have internet access once I leave my airbnb.   I will be here till about 5:00 p.m. then I'm starting to head over to Heinz Hall.  

Also here is some more promotion I found on the internet about the concert:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wtae.com/amp/article/john-williams-pittsburgh-symphony-orchestra/46098489

sent you a pm if you still have your ticket as I ran into somebody at RedBeard’s who is interested.

First Williams piece of the night is a first half encore of the Schindler’s List Theme by only Mutter, Ferrández (cello), and Bronfman (piano). No conductor for that one. Beautiful!

Intermission now. Almost Maestro time!

2 minutes ago, rpvee said:

First Williams piece of the night is a first half encore of the Schindler’s List Theme by only Mutter, Ferrández (cello), and Bronfman (piano). No conductor for that one. Beautiful!

I was wanting for John to walk out so bad!

The media sponsor for the concert is local classical radio station WQED 89.3, but any schedule on their website is for their TV counterpart. The program says PSO concerts are broadcast on Wednesdays and Sundays. I assume we’d know if tonight was planned to be broadcast in the future, right? There’s no concert scheduled for tomorrow, so wonder what they’ll play…

33 minutes ago, rpvee said:

That must be the arrangement he did for Ma, Ax, and "the other guy," to repurpose Seinfeld.  Glad it is being performed.  

2 hours ago, Lockdown said:

I was kind of confused as to why it was missing from the initial repertoire given the fact that the whole premise of the concert is to feature Williams' works with solo violin.

first half encore.  The fun of encores is their unannounced nature.  

Great photos and reports, thanks! I'll definitely watch it on Stage+, hopefully it will be released on Blu-ray.

Was there any encore played at the end, after "The Imperial March"? (Unlikely, of course)

3 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

Great photos and reports, thanks! I'll definitely watch it on Stage+, hopefully it will be released on Blu-ray.

Was there any encore played at the end, after "The Imperial March"? (Unlikely, of course)

Hedwig’s Theme for Violin and Orchestra and it was marvelous!

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I think that is a "schtick" of his rather than a senior moment. He conveniently "forgets" Connery's name in most concerts, making the audience get involved. I think it's very deliberate (as opposed to certain other faux passes, which may be down to foggy memory).

In either case, thanks for all the reports and pictures. Looks wonderful, and not envious at all, LOL! Any pics of the social get-togethers, if there were any?

This has always been my interpretation, that he leans into his cute “old man” persona. Take him “forgetting” which Star Wars “Across the Stars” was from three nights in a row in the April 2022 concerts. 

1 hour ago, Taikomochi said:

This has always been my interpretation, that he leans into his cute “old man” persona. Take him “forgetting” which Star Wars “Across the Stars” was from three nights in a row in the April 2022 concerts. 

He forgot it last night too.

16 hours ago, rpvee said:

The media sponsor for the concert is local classical radio station WQED 89.3, but any schedule on their website is for their TV counterpart. The program says PSO concerts are broadcast on Wednesdays and Sundays. I assume we’d know if tonight was planned to be broadcast in the future, right? There’s no concert scheduled for tomorrow, so wonder what they’ll play…

The concert will be streamed December 30 on Stage+

14 hours ago, Ian Stouffer said:

The concert was an incredible concert. The Beethoven Triple Concerto was played very well. I really loved the Schindler's List Trio (that as far as I'm aware was a world premiere). Anne-Sophie Mutter is amazing as always, and the anecdote about violins in space was interesting. Scherzo for Violin and Motorcycle was a lot of fun, as was Across the Stars. My second John Williams concert was awesome, just like the one from April of last year.

The trio version of Schindler's List as been performed at least twice before.

On 14/12/2023 at 2:01 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

The concert will be streamed December 30 on Stage+

The trio version of Schindler's List as been performed at least twice before.

very much looking forward to seeing it.

After each concert, I always imagine Williams returning home after perhaps a few days of not doing much writing or none at all and returning to his piano with renewed enthusiam. Would love to know what his schedule is like leading up to a concert. Exactly how much time does he spend preparing beyond the usual rehearsals? 

And regarding the new Scherzo of Mortorcycle and Violin, I recently made a list of long long list of peices that Williams could possibly arrange for violin and orchestra. I never considered that a possibility. 

Still regarding the Schindler's List trio...

World premiere: https://www.instagram.com/p/CoDIJfeOMdS/

I do recall that Mutter also performed it, maybe with Martha Argerich. I'm pretty sure of seeing a short video of it taken from the audience view point, but can't find it anymore.

3 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Still regarding the Schindler's List trio...

World premiere: https://www.instagram.com/p/CoDIJfeOMdS/?igshid=ZWQ3ODFjY2VlOQ==

I do recall that Mutter also performed it, maybe with Martha Argerich. I'm pretty sure of seeing a short video of it taken from the audience view point, but can't find it anymore.

Argerich? I don't recall being aware of her ever performing Williams. That would be something.

We do have a short thread for the trio arrangement, if a video of the Pitsburgh performance shows up it should be posted in it

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35208-theme-from-”schindler’s-list”-1993-arranged-for-pianocelloviolin-trio-by-john-williams/

On 13/12/2023 at 7:53 AM, Jay said:

None of the Rise of Skywalker concert arrangements (there's 4 of them) have actually been conducted in a concert by Williams himself yet!

Why?  Who knows...

jj-abrams.jpg

Ordinarily, I would say unlikely, but given that Williams seems like he was fairly involved with the 20 cd set, maybe he saw some pieces that he had not thought about in a while.  

On 13/12/2023 at 10:04 AM, Thor said:

I think that is a "schtick" of his rather than a senior moment. He conveniently "forgets" Connery's name in most concerts, making the audience get involved. I think it's very deliberate

THIS! I just wish people understood it finally that he does it on purpose, like he always “forgets” the name of Attack of the Clones. I wish overzealous people would stop correcting the Maestro at every concert, it’s becoming annoying and cringeworthy.

On 16/12/2023 at 6:55 AM, Amer said:

I'd love a proper studio recording of these.!!

In retrospect, I feel Williams penchant for securing more versions of his themes in this format ie violin and orchestra is something very important.  After having successfully established film music in the concert hall as well as live to film format It now seems to me he has now entering a new movement of bringing a more sophisticated sound to the concert hall so as to have a more prominent binding position of film music influence.

He’s turning film music into classical music. He should do this with every score of his, releasing album after album of arrangements for solo instrument and orchestra. 

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Ordinarily, I would say unlikely, but given that Williams seems like he was fairly involved with the 20 cd set, maybe he saw some pieces that he had not thought about in a while.  

I dunno. I had the impression that Anne-Sophie takes a lot input in which songs to put forward to John from her son, who is a movie music fan. Maybe he’s even a reader of the forum! 

Abd there were some “obscurities”

on Across The Stars. As for the violin concerto CD. So why not for the third time around? :)

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

I dunno. I had the impression that Anne-Sophie takes a lot input in which songs to put forward to John from her son, who is a movie music fan. Maybe he’s even a reader of the forum! 

Is he the dude that makes cat cakes?  

11 hours ago, rough cut said:

I had the impression that Anne-Sophie takes a lot input in which songs to put forward to John from her son, who is a movie music fan. Maybe he’s even a reader of the forum! 

So Richard Wunderlich is behind everything. 🤔

19 hours ago, rough cut said:

Has she ever mentioned this in an interview or is this speculation?  

I would guess her son probably is involved, my guess is really that she isn't the giant Williams fan she says she is, and her knowledge of his music is probably quite small in reality. Seeing as Andre suggested CL and Dracula, I don't think shes going to remember other pieces besides Hedwig and the more famous bits of Star Wars. Funny she will occasionally bring up Rey's theme, but I think they only played it the one time at Tanglewood?