Why on earth would a film score ever need 230 (or 550) musicians?

Bayesian

12 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

I can’t wait for the PR for the score to DR Part 2. I fully expect to read that Balfe recorded a hundred-strong Slavic male choir in the bowels of a decommissioned nuclear sub. You know, so we the audience really get to understand the Entity. All in a year’s work for this brave musical pioneer.

:lol2:

28 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

That is such a load of PR puffery, I might have actually lost five minutes of life expectancy seething at the utter ridiculousness of the idea. Do we get L.A. vibes when we hear music performed by the studio orchestra on the Sony scoring stage?? Of course not. Can anyone tell me what the hell was Venetian about any of the score playing during the party or in the alleys and canals afterward? Is there such a thing as an Abu Dhabi sound that would have somehow belonged in scenes set in an airport? And someone please tell me what musical signature applies to a passenger train traveling to Austria? To claim that the music somehow gains character by being played in situ is the highest form of masturbatory preening, worse even than the way wine critics write about nose and terroir.

Miklos Rozsa seemed to think so when he recorded outdoors in Rome.

2 hours ago, Quppa said:

Conan the Barbarian infamously used 24 French horns.

2 hours ago, Signals said:

Miklos Rozsa seemed to think so when he recorded outdoors in Rome.

I didn’t know about these examples. Thanks for sharing. My position about excess in this regard remains unchanged, and indeed I wonder if anyone who’s familiar with these examples can tell me if the results are worthy of their respective stunt.

Maybe I’m being too much of a purist or elitist about all this. From what I understand, Balfe isn’t formally trained in music, so it may be unreasonable for me to expect him to be grounded in the traditional elements of composition. In that sense, he joins Zimmer and Elfman and probably others who have found great success in an industry that doesn’t gatekeep (at least with regard to credentials). I don’t begrudge his success in any way other than that he uses his clout to promote a scoring style whose creative potential went stale years ago and has since been thoroughly exhausted. Why oh why did it have to be Zimmer/RCP who became the 800-lb gorilla and handed the mantle to Balfe?

1 minute ago, Bayesian said:

and indeed I wonder if anyone who’s familiar with these examples can tell me if the results are worthy of their respective stunt.

Well the Rome cues in Ben-Hur sound like absolute ass recordingwise compared to the cues from the other sessions...

8 hours ago, HunterTech said:

(Also also, given how much people have been concerned about the potential loss of hired musicians for projects like these, are we actually pissed off that the guy who could easily work without them is still keeping them employed?)

That’s an explanation I could get behind. Balfe giving hundreds of players some piece work and maybe even a share of the royalties would be a gracious gesture. And not calling attention to it as a make-work stunt would be respectful and classy; all the locale-flavor PR nonsense would just be cover.

If that’s truly the underlying reason, I’ll cop to my judgy attitude. It wouldn’t change the fact that we badly need to move on to a different soundscape for film scores (from composers who aren’t Zimmer-issued) and that we as moviegoers and film music enthusiasts will continue to suffer until that happens. But at least it means Balfe’s heart is in the right place. I’m not convinced that’s actually the situation, but it’s nice to think of it as a possibility. 

I think a lot of the RCP crew are fairly open about how happy they are to work with various people, given how disconnected they could be from the outside world, depending on the project they're working on. Perhaps the issue is that since they're so used to working in particular modes, they might subconsciously realize that the fruits of their labor won't exactly be apparent to many listeners, so it's something they make sure to emphasize in interviews when discussing the work (to which Balfe is certainly happy to do if he's quite keen to make mention of the music editor and his team during this particular press junket).

Sure, it might just be cynical PR fluff, yet I think this is probably a more intriguing way of selling the score to someone than just saying it all took place in a small studio, since it might have the chance of inspiring those to look into the field with more of a vision (assuming the studios would be gracious enough to let them, that is):

It's definitely a PR thing, at which Zimmer is an expert.

The problem I see is the RCP style getting the safest reaction from audiences and therefore that's what McQuarrie and Cruise ask for. If Balfe uses hundreds of musicians to achieve that, employing players around the world, surely that's a good thing?

However, I'm not a total Balfe apologist - this isn't the ideal way of scoring the franchise.

14 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Ah, but this community likes those two, so they don't count ;)

They're also able to write music with a sense of place. It has zero to do with sympathy.

Though the sympathy wanes when you realize Balfe has to know he's lying through his teeth 

image.gif

I’m sure he didn’t have 550 in a room at the same time.  Given the amount of material recorded and the extremely long post-production period for this movie, the musicians probably changed from session to session.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I don't think, for Mission: Impossible, they had a 550 musicians on the stage at any one point: the way I read it, they used, over the various sessions, 550 different musicians.

And if you looked at any score with a long, protracted scoring process, the number of musicians involved overall is probably rather big.

But this information is not normally publicised or mentioned - they just get on with it. Had Balfe said some random, off the cuff comment about using 3,900 pieces of sheet music throughout the sessions, we'd get a thread dedicated entirely to making fun of this, without considering for a moment whether that was actually normal for a large scoring process.

I just listened to a bit of DR again and it was largely as boring and variation-free as it was the first time. However, we're seeing a connection attempted to be made here between the number of players and musicians involved in makng a score, and its compositional quality and musical interest, and I don't think there is one?

The blurb posted in LLL's email flyer makes it clear the musicians were not all used at once:

For this score, we were able to record in cities which form the locations of the filming, bringing a different level of authenticity and emotional connection to the music. We recorded Choirs in Venice, The Swiss Drums Corps in Switzerland, Orchestra’s in Venice, Vienna and London along with an epic bongo session made up of 35 players, it sounded incredible in the room and a nice ode to Fallout. This is by far my most expansive score to date with 555 musicians playing across 5 cities. It was an honour to work with such world-class talents and an excellent team that helped cultivate a finished score that is truly special.

12 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I didn’t know about these examples. Thanks for sharing. My position about excess in this regard remains unchanged, and indeed I wonder if anyone who’s familiar with these examples can tell me if the results are worthy of their respective stunt.

Maybe I’m being too much of a purist or elitist about all this. From what I understand, Balfe isn’t formally trained in music, so it may be unreasonable for me to expect him to be grounded in the traditional elements of composition. In that sense, he joins Zimmer and Elfman and probably others who have found great success in an industry that doesn’t gatekeep (at least with regard to credentials). I don’t begrudge his success in any way other than that he uses his clout to promote a scoring style whose creative potential went stale years ago and has since been thoroughly exhausted. Why oh why did it have to be Zimmer/RCP who became the 800-lb gorilla and handed the mantle to Balfe?

Even better:

The score to Knights of the Round Table had three sessions: in Culver City, first half conducted by John Green cues, the rest with Rozsa conducting (some Green cues revised and re-recorded), and then a full re-recording in London with Muir Matheson for contractual reasons.

I couldn’t record the music, because I still had to compose. So they brought in John Green, the head of the music department at M-G-M. He conducted the first half of the score and I listened to it through the telephone, and went on writing. Anyway, the film was in the cinema by Christmas.

However, the orchestra was an American orchestra, the musicians had to be repaid, which is an enormous cost. Because it was an English picture, the actors had to be English, with few exceptions—the stars could be American—the composer had to be English, and if he wasn’t then the musicians had to be. They re-recorded the whole thing with Muir Mathieson conducting.

17 hours ago, Quppa said:

Conan the Barbarian infamously used 24 French horns.

And Herrmann had 9 harps in Beneath the 12-Mile Reef. From what I remember, Williams had 4 pianos for the Hoth sequence, and Goldsmith had at least 4 in Twilight Zone. But in all of these cases, specific instrument was multiplied to create a distinct sound, or to be able to write for a particular instrument against a massive orchestral backdrop.

When it comes to the whole orchestra and a massive sound, it's not really the size of the orchestra that matters. More often than not, a large orchestra doesn't mean extra loud all the time, but rather different colours in different sections (without thinning out the sound). Therefore you have a larger number of players and instruments in each instrument group, but they're not usually playing at the same time. Or perhaps you've got extra string players because you put two separate string orchestras at different ends of the room - it's still a specific effect that's the goal, not merely massive sound.

As Richard Strauss showed, an orchestra of just 36 players (and that includes 3 percussionists, two harps, and three keyboards!) can sound just like the proverbial massive Wagner orchestra. Compare the Mozart-like opening of the prologue to the epic finale:

11 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

From what I remember, Williams had 4 pianos for the Hoth sequence, and Goldsmith had at least 4 in Twilight Zone

Meh, Horner had 5 grand pianos on (very good) Flightplan. ;)

By the way, Alex North was quite famous for bizarrely exaggerated orchestrations.

Karol

29 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And Herrmann had 9 harps in Beneath the 12-Mile Reef. From what I remember, Williams had 4 pianos for the Hoth sequence, and Goldsmith had at least 4 in Twilight Zone. But in all of these cases, specific instrument was multiplied to create a distinct sound, or to be able to write for a particular instrument against a massive orchestral backdrop.

Usually, when Hermann went wild with certain sections of the orchestra - and there are other scores of his that call (I can't remember which or where) for twelve flutes, another for a very large ensemble of horns, etc - he would reduce in another. The overall size of the ensemble would scarcely be in the ballpark of a really big orchestra.

From what I remember, Williams had 4 pianos for the Hoth sequence, and Goldsmith had at least 4 in Twilight Zone. But in all of these cases, specific instrument was multiplied to create a distinct sound, or to be able to write for a particular instrument against a massive orchestral backdrop.

Two, I believe, alongside with the quintuple high winds I mentioned. Also a third harp somewhere (my memory is its at the end of the film), and a fourth bassoon for the Boba Fett scenes, and lots of percussion (as many as eight players at once). Other parts of the Star Wars series call for more low strings, two timpanists, etc.. so he certainly doesn't shy away from big forces.

As Richard Strauss showed, an orchestra of just 36 players (and that includes 3 percussionists, two harps, and three keyboards!) can sound just like the proverbial massive Wagner orchestra.

You could just as soon take an example from Wagner himself. Something like Meistersingers (which Stephen Fry bizzarely cites for its "massive resources of huge orchestra") has the exact same orchestra size as Fidelio, and the other dramas like Tristan or Lohengrin are not too far off from that either.

Only The Ring has a really big ensemble, and by the standard of late-Romantic orchestras and large-scale film-scores, its postively modest: just shy of 110 players in the pit, and about 20 stage musicians across the four evenings, and its all positively muffled by the Bayreuth pit. Its hardly too far from the full forces Williams calls for in the Star Wars series, or a big Alex North score like Cleopatra, and certainly not even in the ballpark of Berlioz' Requiem, or Schoenberg's Gurre Lieder.

23 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As Richard Strauss showed, an orchestra of just 36 players (and that includes 3 percussionists, two harps, and three keyboards!) can sound just like the proverbial massive Wagner orchestra. Compare the Mozart-like opening of the prologue to the epic finale:

What makes this even more fascinating to me is that it came hot on the heals of Strauss' Alpensinfonie with its orchestra of at least 107 players on stage (plus an off-stage orchestra that brings Strauss' own ideal orchestra size up to 129). Despite its huge resources, the orchestrations are often called "chamber-like", and Strauss himself said of it after completing it: "Now I've finally learned how to orchestrate":

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Despite its huge resources, the orchestrations are often called "chamber-like",

Mahler's Ninth is also not terribly loud a lot of the time: he was just looking for more freedom to play with the colours.

12 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Mahler's Ninth is also not terribly loud a lot of the time: he was just looking for more freedom to play with the colours.

Also a follow-up to a truly massive work, his 8th. Rule of thumb: The size of the choir is a better indication of the overall volume of a work than the size of its orchestra.

Oh. But that *is* massive at least in parts (I don't know it too well). When you have two (or more) gigantic choirs singing at full volume trying to be audible over the orchestra, it *is* loud. ;) 

18 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

When you have two (or more) gigantic choirs singing at full volume trying to be audible over the orchestra, it *is* loud. ;) 

It does get loud, but not all throughout.

And its still more modestly orchestrated than Gurre Lieder and lor knows from Havergal's Gothic! I mean, just look at this monstrosity!

p02c9qx1.jpg

I think a better question is, why do you care? At the end of the day, he can use a 1000-piece orchestra or 50, but the music is either good or not. I don't particularly like Fallout or Dead Reckoning that much, but I couldn't care less what his methods are. To HunterTech's point, why are we angry he is employing more musicians?  

This the film score equivalent of having twenty symbols and twelve toms at a rock concert. I only know one (ok, two) drummer(s) in pop music who can handle a kit like that, and even then it's mostly for show, just like this.

2 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

This the film score equivalent of having twenty symbols and twelve toms at a rock concert. I only know one drummer in pop music who can handle a kit like that, and even then it's mostly for show, just like this.

What about two drummers? ;)

4 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

but the music is either good or not

Exactly. A good composer will use exactly the forces they need to achieve the sound they want. But a composer must be well-versed in orchestration to do this properly. Composers who know orchestration seem to have no place in the colorless wall of trendy mediocrity that is current film music.

4 minutes ago, Signals said:

What about two drummers?

If the music is using rhythm that genuinely can't be played by one person, fine. Or if they just want to double a part for added volume, sure. But I've seen quite a few drummers who seem weak on fundamentals trying to cover it with stupid-large kits. And similar to modern film music, most people are too ignorant of music to know they're being hoodwinked.

9 hours ago, Quppa said:

Desplat used a 108-piece ensemble for Godzilla (2014), plus an 80-person choir.

Am I the only one who doesn't see this as being particularly large? Williams often calls for a 100+ orchestra, and Horner and Powell scores often push 120 (which, I would say, is where it starts being really big). Since so much of this kind of film scoring is in a late-Romantic idiom, those kinds of ensemble sizes are par for the course.

5 hours ago, Mephariel said:

I think a better question is, why do you care? At the end of the day, he can use a 1000-piece orchestra or 50, but the music is either good or not. I don't particularly like Fallout or Dead Reckoning that much, but I couldn't care less what his methods are. To HunterTech's point, why are we angry he is employing more musicians?  

I think the answer to 'why do you care' is always the same one: some take the public perception of film music and their favourite composers far too seriously and if there's discussion around about Balfe using hundreds of musicians or travelling the world, there's an urge to quash any idea that these are good things in case it spreads a sense that his music is good.

Glad my jokey response hasn't resulted in Hans sending me a defensive/shitty message... but in all seriousness, the one thing that strikes me about this "I went here and there to get inspired" stuff is that it's one thing to, say, undertake a musicological study of historic music* to inform your writing, but for an action movie of this sort is it really going to make any difference? Would the music have been better had he LB flung himself off the side of the Burj Khalifa tower (no comment) to be better informed of how gravity works and the adrenaline rush of doing so?! Seems unlikely.

*Miklos Rozsa did for a number of his scores - even if the results still basically sound like fairly standard Rozsa with that strong Hungarian musical aesthetic.

There are plenty of good Balfe compositions, although I think few of them are in either Mission Impossible score. As far as why he’s using so many performers... with the obviously overblown budget he’s received, why not go overboard?