Disney Re-Issuing Indiana Jones Trilogy/Saga on November 3, 2023

Amer

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Who else on JWFan has all 3 of the original OST albums on the CD format already?

I'd share a pic of mine if I was at home

I had them all, once. Temple of Doom as a German pressing was a present from my first girlfriend, must have been in 1988 or 89. Last Crusade I bought as my first soundtrack purchase on the newfangled CD format in 1989. Raiders I had as a cassette copy from the LP and bought on CD when it was released, sometime in the 90s. And then I bought the DCC when it came out. And when the Concord set was announced I sold them all on amazon, mostly for a really good price. I only then realized that my TOD CD must be quite the collectors item. Funnily enough a few years later I regretted selling the DCC, looked for used copies and bought one on amazon for small fraction of the price I was paid a few years ago. So no regrets in financial regard :-)

Just checked the release date of the Concord box: November 11, 2008. Seems likely Concord had mechanical rights to the Indy scores for 15 years, and they're now reverting to Disney (these reissues are dated almost 15 years to the day).

Wouldn't be surprised if the Concord assemblies (with extra music) vanish from streamers next month, like the SW SEs when those rights reverted from Sony to Disney.

Isn't Concord's contract already over?

The albums on Spotify all say copyright 2018 Lucasfilm, and don't mention Concord at all.  So I'd guess they already expired in 2018

I still think these "reissues" are just Disney's Japan branch trying to make some money on physical CDs in their market, and its not a sign of the actual real Disney Records doing anything with these scores

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Isn't Concord's contract already over?

The albums on Spotify all say copyright 2018 Lucasfilm, and don't mention Concord at all.  So I'd guess they already expired in 2018

Maybe, yeah! But all the Amazon listings of the CDs still show Concord as the record label (old stock maybe?). I can't find any CD versions of the scores on WDR.

Guess nobody at Disney bothered reissuing the CDs on their own label until now.

10 hours ago, Amer said:

Anything Goes!

I see what you did there.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

I still think these "reissues" are just Disney's Japan branch trying to make some money on physical CDs in their market, and its not a sign of the actual real Disney Records doing anything with these scores

I was hoping this would be some way to introduce the scores to a new generation of customers, and maybe stimulate interest in not only the music (leading to expansions) but also the physical medium. 

How does the sound quality of the Polydor Raiders compare to the DCC? I might get the first one of these, at least. I like having original assemblies.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Why not just release expansions? Why would the average GenZ Joe look into new, different releases in the future when "he already got them"?

It may be the case that Disney already owns the rights to the OSTs, and re-issuing them is a cheap way to raise money (since they don't have to pay for licensing). This would go to covering costs on expansions, sold as limited editions to cater for us collector-nerds. 

And I wouldn't underestimate the collecting habits of the average Gen Z Joe. From what I recall the expansions to the Zimmer DC superhero scores sold well in a general market. 

Edel Germany also had reissued of TEMPLE OF DOOM. The original  Doom cd was pretty much a rarity for quite sometime before the BOX Set arrived. I was able to acquire the Japanese pressing which many touted this to be somewhat audiophile.

12 hours ago, Amer said:

UPDATE:  INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL ( also coming) according to Tower Records, Japan

https://tower.jp/search/item/john+williams?recondition=True&genre=1&subgenre=8&sort=New

That's not new information. Ark Square's website already had all 4 listed on day 1:

On 03/10/2023 at 9:55 AM, Jay said:

Anyways here's all four Tower links

https://tower.jp/item/6194577/Raiders-Of-The-Lost-Ark

https://tower.jp/item/6194515/Indiana-Jones-And-The-Temple-Of-Doom

https://tower.jp/item/6194599/Indiana-Jones-And-The-Last-Crusade

https://tower.jp/item/6194503/Indiana-Jones-And-The-Kingdom-Of-The-Crystal-Skull

Now it's a race to see which store posts the cover art and/or samples first!

Strangely they are not listed on Amazon JP yet

No Jay it wasn't there on the email flyer I had also only listed the first 3. CRYSTAL SKULL was probably added later. Or likely the link was incorrectly labelled as LAST CRUSADE.

Correct, the Crystal Skull link incorrectly said Last Crusade for a few days before being fixed.

But there was always 4 entries on Ark Square from the beginning.

I haven't seen the email myself, and you did not include a copy/paste or screengrab in it in your post, so I don't have a clue what that said or didn't say.  But the Ark Square website definitely always had the 4 entries right away. 

You know, it's funny to me that Disney Japan is able to release these 4 albums in their market on CD but not Dial Of Destiny along with them!  That leaves that a true Emporium USA exclusive still.

One thought I had is "what if the 1CD part is just a placeholder, they don't have a cover or a tracklist yet either". But it's a stretch and a lot of wishful thinking.

The word "reissue" is used so its either a reissue of the OST albums or a reissue of the Concord albums.  Though, for KOCS those are one and the same.  I guess this is a way to get KOCS in a jewel case though!

Plus it also says reissue so it's definitely a stretch, even if it's nice to dream.

Sadly I think we missed the boat for Indy expansions. If the final movie wasn't a good enough reason for Disney to release expansions, then what is? Does Spielberg himself need to call the head of WDR and ask for them?

Feels like Mike will have to convince Disney to let him do Star Wars first, then when those sell well he'll be able to convince them to do Indy too

19 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I am disappointed.  No Raiders OST?

Alas no, per my previous post:

For RAIDERS, I got the DCC release first, for some reason (via mail order), and only discovered the original Polydor later, as a friend of mine acquired it. If I were true to form, I should sell my expanded DCC and acquire the Polydor, but in this particular case, I prefer the DCC expansion, believe it not. So it stays. Never got the Polydor OST as a result.

Would like to get it some day.

By the way, if anyone wonders what that paper is, sticking out of TEMPLE OF DOOM, it's a print-out I did of Spielberg's note, since everything in the liner notes is in Japanese.

Just now, GerateWohl said:

Yes! The DCC has the one and only film version of Desert Chase. I wouldn't give that away. 

Even though you probably prefer the OST edit. 

No, I prefer the expanded version, actually. But I've heard the original Polydor too, even if I don't own it, and think that works absolutely fine too.

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, I prefer the expanded version, actually. But I've heard the original Polydor too, even if I don't own it, and think that works absolutely fine too.

Hypothetical question here: if you could put the longer version of Desert Chase into the Polydor program (replacing the Polydor's shorter edit), would you prefer listening to the program that way?

2 hours ago, That_Bloke said:

I'm one of those people ☺

20231006_003204.jpg

Even did the vinyl thing. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on the rare KOTCS 2LP one day...

20231006_003308.jpg

Where did you get the jewel case version of Indy 4?

41 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Hypothetical question here: if you could put the longer version of Desert Chase into the Polydor program (replacing the Polydor's shorter edit), would you prefer listening to the program that way?

I doubt it.

41 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Where did you get the jewel case version of Indy 4?

I've only seen that one as a jewel case. The digipack, as far as I know, was part of the box set.

I did find the other three scores on their expanded Concorde incarnation as jewel case stand alone releases a few years ago.

22 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I've only seen that one as a jewel case. The digipack, as far as I know, was part of the box set.

I did find the other three scores on their expanded Concorde incarnation as jewel case stand alone releases a few years ago.

Do you konw, if they're still available? And if yes, where?

41 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

According to Discogs, it looks like in the US only the digipak version was made available. Jewel case for Europe and elsewhere.

On 03/10/2023 at 6:35 PM, Amer said:

This could be a warm up to test the market. 

Not including CRYSTAL SKULL makes me wonder?

Maybe they want to do an expansion of that produced by Shawn Murphy...

Anything Goes!

I believe the same was said about those SW Reissues.

Please nobody kill me for this, but part of me actually wouldn’t mind if this was a reissue (preferably remastered, and preferably better than the 2018 SW OSTs) of the original albums. As someone who has owned the Concord set since it was released, but has never owned the originals, I think it would be cool to have them, and it would be nice to have them in jewel cases alongside the new Dial of Destiny on the shelf. ...But that’s just me.

21 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

According to Discogs, it looks like in the US only the digipak version was made available. Jewel case for Europe and elsewhere.

Mine is digipack, but I might have ordered it from the US, I don't remember.

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

What? I've only seen 4 as a digipak, and in an SACD jewel case. And I've been actively looking for it in a regular jewel case.

2 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

In the USA, the Crystal Skull OST was a digipak both inside the box and as sold separately.  In fact, there is no way to tell if a copy is from a box or not, they had the same UPCs and everything. 

I know nothing about how it exists in other countries, but we never had any jewel case version here.

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What? I've only seen 4 as a digipak, and in an SACD jewel case. And I've been actively looking for it in a regular jewel case.

Well, KotCS was released in a regular jewel case in Australia. I have that one.

You could easily find it on Australian (online) shops in that days.

I don't know, I'm thinking about selling it someday because I have KotCS in the box set anyway. Not a fan of redundancy.

2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Do you konw, if they're still available? And if yes, where?

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was ordered from the UK if memory serves. Temple of Doom and Last Crusade I found on a local store on sale and were the only copies they had. Sadly not Raiders, but I would imagine that one was also available on jewel case.

The regular (as far as I know) KOTCS version here was the super jewel case version. That's the one I have. I didn't even know about the standard jewel case version until a few months ago.

It will be interesting to see how they wipe out stuff on the original artwork like Warner Bros Records for Last Crusade, etc.  Unless they have completely new artwork everywhere entirely.  I wonder if Spielberg's notes will be retained.