JW Black Friday / End of Year 2023 prediction time!

Dr. Rick

Well, it's that time of year again folks!  Time for JW BF / EOY predictions for expanded releases from our favorite independent labels.  Still a possibility of an Intrada release this year as well as LLL.  I only included most likely IMO, removing SW / IJ films as well as post-2005 films.  

Spielberg films  

• Sugarland Express
  • Hook
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • The Terminal

Everything else...

• The Reivers
  • Witches of Eastwick
  • Accidental Tourist
  • BOTFOJ
  • JFK
  • Nixon
  • Sleepers
  • Seven Years in Tibet
  • Stepmom
  • Angela's Ashes
  • The Patriot

Has The Legend of Zorro been confirmed? I know that the full score has recently been published, so I'd assume now would be as good a time as any to release an expanded CD for it.

Sheet music for The Mask Of Zorro was recently published, not The Legend of Zorro

No specialty label has announced or teased anything about an audio expansion for either score, and Legend is past the summer 2005 AFM cutoff date anyway.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sheet music for The Mast Of Zorro was recently published, not The Legend of Zorro

No specialty label has announced or teased anything about an audio expansion for either score, and Legend is past the summer 2005 AFM cutoff date anyway.

Whoops, I meant Mask! Well, if nothing's been teased, then I retract my prediction. 

7 minutes ago, Trope said:

Whoops, I meant Mask! Well, if nothing's been teased, then I retract my prediction. 

Dan Redfeld, who worked on the sheet music book, DID tease than an audio release was coming; I just meant that no label themselves have mentioned it.

Question for @Dr. Rick, did you place this thread in the JW subforum because you want people to discuss JW options only?  Or is this a thread for all BF discussion?

And you mentioned other labels in your main post, but LLL is the only label that does BF titles. 

So is this a specific LLL thread? A  specific JW thread?  Or a thread for all end of year titles from all labels?

Changed the topic title  :) JW options only for BF / EOY 2023.  Intrada earlier this year said another Williams release was on their list but not sure if that's for 2023 or 2024?

2 hours ago, Dr. Rick said:

Well, it's that time of year again folks!  Time for JW BF / EOY predictions for expanded releases from our favorite independent labels.  Still a possibility of an Intrada release this year as well as LLL.  I only included most likely IMO, removing SW / IJ films as well as post-2005 films.  

Spielberg films  

• Sugarland Express
  • Hook
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • The Terminal

Everything else...

• The Reivers
  • Witches of Eastwick
  • Accidental Tourist
  • BOTFOJ
  • JFK
  • Nixon
  • Sleepers
  • Seven Years in Tibet
  • Stepmom
  • Angela's Ashes
  • The Patriot

I'd include Cinderella Liberty in that list, either as expansion or re-issue.

Who knows whether or not LLL took over the rights from Intrada? Or perhaps an expansion of CL is one of the "couple of" JW scores being referred to by Doug? 

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

I hope for everything that everyone wishes for here, because then my wallet is home free! (well, except SUGARLAND EXPRESS, of course).

Of course, I would hope, like you, something completely unreleased, but we all know, that train is long gone now...

I'd love for The Terminal to surprise us like Amistad with lots of extra music we didn't know about, but otherwise that seems like a pretty "straightforward" 1CD expansion. It's an Amblin and DreamWorks film, which hasn't been a barrier to other expansions. It's before the AFM deadline and I'd assume Murphy was recording digital masters in LA by 2004 (so potentially costs saved on analogue transfers).

On 10/10/2023 at 10:38 AM, Dr. Rick said:

Spielberg films  

• Sugarland Express
  • Hook
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • The Terminal

Everything else...

• The Reivers
  • Witches of Eastwick
  • Accidental Tourist
  • BOTFOJ
  • JFK
  • Nixon
  • Sleepers
  • Seven Years in Tibet
  • Stepmom
  • Angela's Ashes
  • The Patriot

So if we eliminate stuff JW doesnt want out, studios that have clammed up and titles that have issues, it's quite a short list:

• Hook
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • The Terminal
  • BOTFOJ
  • Nixon
  • Seven Years in Tibet
  • Stepmom
  • Angela's Ashes
  • The Patriot

52 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A definitive release would have to include the songs.

Just referring to the score of course.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Rick said:

Hopefully an BOTFOJ expanded release will change my opinion of the score much like Always did.

Haven't you heard the ... ahem .... complete score?

It's quite repetitive!

Yes, I have that on digital, and yes, it is somewhat repetitive.  However, the poor quality of the boot and the possibility of new unreleased music gives me hope for a proper expanded release :)

All three JW Oliver Stone scores should've been already expanded by now. Hopefully we'll get Nixon and BOT4J soon! And hopefully if Universal really buys Warner Bros, who knows, they may re-open for business with the labels, enabling JFK.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

if Universal really buys Warner Bros, who knows, they may re-open for business with the labels, enabling JFK.

Wait, this is a thing being rumored?  I missed this!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait, this is a thing being rumored?  I missed this!

A recent Variety report on the chaotic production of Aquaman 2 hinted that, within the next 2 years, WB may be sold, probably to Universal.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/aquaman-2-jason-momoa-drunk-claims-amber-heard-cut-scenes-elon-musk-letter-1235747775/

1 hour ago, Damien F said:

What would unlock a post-2005 score for an expansion in the future? Would it involve the negotiation of a lower re-use fee for that specific score?

I could be wrong but I *think* this is what was successfully done for the three Giacchino Trek score expansions from Varese?

Yavar

Hook is my number 1 'want' (apart from Indy and Star Wars, obviously, but they're special cases in so many ways) and I am getting my hopes up. Just like I do every year.

I also have some handkerchiefs ready for when the near-inevitable disappointment happens.

Mark