Ecoutez le cinéma John Williams release - The Legend of John Williams 20CD box set

Jay

Indeed, when I refer to "mainstream" music lovers, I'm talking about those in my 'X' generation who still prefer purchasing physical CDs.

My generation has stopped buying CDs of mainstream artists because the music nowadays seems lackluster and the material feels disposable. However, I'm still willing to invest in box sets and spend some money when it comes to a comprehensive anthology of a great 20th-21st century artist, such as John Williams. And I'm not the only one.

On my Facebook page, when we announced the box set, a user expressed excitement about finally being able to get their hands on the OST of Jaws on CD. It's interesting to consider this perspective, especially from someone who might not be familiar with the "expanded scores" and its very specialized market.

Anyway, I'm tired of saying that this Anthology is truly exceptionnal, because IT IS.

You'll probably all get it, finding the reason you want to justify your craving... :P

18 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

where there is a point where a 'completist' would decide it wasn't worth it.

There is no such point. 

18 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Would you (as in everyone) buy it, despite no new musical content whatsoever?

ABSOLUTELY. 

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You'll probably all get it

Maybe I'll wait for the vinyl edition.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

So you would buy (or desire to) absolutely anything released by Williams, regardless of whether there was any new musical content?

Yes.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

So you would buy (or desire to) absolutely anything released by Williams, regardless of whether there was any new musical content?

It is NOT just another pointless compilation. John Williams was personally involved in the making of this Anthology, then the booklet will feature a new interview made especially for this release.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It is NOT just another pointless compilation. John Williams was personally involved in the making of this Anthology, then the booklet will feature a new interview made especially for this release.

And it has a packaging specially made for this collector's release. 

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I wasn't referring to this box with that comment.

I was referring to hypothetical 'other' compilations potentially containing nothing new at all for collectors as I'm curious about how far some completists go.

14 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm curious about how far some completists go.

All the way. That's why they're called "completists" or "purists". :-)

The ony factor that's limiting what I'm willing to buy that's released from John Williams, is money. 

I think we've discussed this elsewhere before, but one can define one's "completism" in different ways. For me, it's easy: I need to have one good representation of every single composition that John Williams ever did. Within those parameters, I already have as complete a John Williams collection as it's possible to get, especially if we're talking digital files (I still need 10 CDs from recent years that I'm waiting to find to an affordable price). What I'm missing are completely unavailable titles, be it a couple of concert works or a number of television episode scores.

However, I don't need to have every single thing with the words "John Williams" on it. I can just imagine what nightmare that must be. Not only having multiple editions of the same title, but also all the endless compilations out there, from cheapo synth covers to proper recordings. And that's for John Williams. Imagine having the same attitude to someone like Ennio Morricone!

Yet, I can imagine there are some of those types of John Williams completists out there too, and for those, this box is a must. So some sale there. Other potential buyers could be people that have just started their Williams collection/exploration. Yet other again would be people who want this as an introduction that goes beyond a single or double-disc compilation. 

In short, I feel fairly confident that it's going to sell what it's supposed to, even if some of us find it more or less pointless to own, due to various reasons. Time will tell!

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

However, I don't need to have every single thing with the words "John Williams" on it.

Even I'm not that fanatic. But I buy every single score that a specialty label releases by JW, and every major compilation like this new one, or the Decca or the Sony Conductor set. 

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think we've discussed this elsewhere before, but one can define one's "completism" in different ways. For me, it's easy: I need to have one good representation of every single composition that John Williams ever did

For once I'm completely on your side with this. I want one good representation (or at most, OST and some sort of expansion) of every 'good' score my favourite composers have done, and that's it. If another edition comes along with more musc, I consider very carefully whether I need that extra music and whether it's worth buying the score again.

I see other peoples' digital collections when they share screenshots, and I see utter chaos with franchises like Jurassic. They have the OST, the anniversary edition, LLL's first one, LLL's reissue and the remastered OST. I can't fathom having that many copies of one score; I'd never know what the hell to listen to.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I want one good representation (or at most, OST and some sort of expansion) of every 'good' score my favourite composers have done, and that's it.

I also agree there but I want a perfect presentation, that's why everything is needed so I can tailor it for myself. I'm also horrified at those digital library messes :lol:

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd never know what the hell to listen to.

A different edition every time. Sometimes you just want the "short" OST, sometimes the expanded remastered score, sometimes the unused and/or alternate cues, sometimes the remastered OST. The point is you can choose. Being a completist means you can listen to everything by your favorite film composer. 

My completionist instinct doesn’t require me to have, for instance, the second copy of the E.T. OST from this box, any more than it requires me to own a copy of every printing of the E.T. OST from each country where it was released (96 versions according to Discogs).

I’ve found myself spending money on things not because I want them, but because I want to HAVE them.  I’m trying to curb that impulse more recently.  I’d love to have this pretty box sitting on my shelf next to other boxes, but the truth is that I already own everything on CD that I would care to listen to from this box. 

I do hold onto the OSTs though when an expansion comes out - assuming they’re not included in the expansion.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Remember when Facebook posts used to embed here? 

Was that actually the case? or are you just confusing them with Twitter/X posts?

Nope! Facebook and Instagram posts used to turn into embeds, then one day it went away. You can find a post by me commenting on it if you search for it. 

Twitter posts still embed, but only if the link is using twitter.com. If it's using x.com, it doesn't. 

Really?

Wow you are right, it only works, if you copy the embed code.

Weird

Spoiler

A post shared by John Powell (@johnj_powell)

Without wanting to read that entire thread, are you referring to everyone travelling to Vienna or there being 15 releases of the album?

One point where I knew I didn't have this trait was when Einaudi put out a 7-disc 'Seven Days Walking' box set which was like having the entire recording sessions for a concept album, and I realised that the variations were far too subtle for me. No doubt there are fans who would lap up something like this at dawn, but not me.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Without wanting to read that entire thread, are you referring to everyone travelling to Vienna

No.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

or there being 15 releases of the album?

Yes.

On 26/10/2023 at 12:00 PM, Sandor said:

I am thinking to preorder through Music Box Records: https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/13723-the-legend-of-john-williams.html

Would be my first time. Has anyone had any positive experiences with the site?

They've been my go to source for all the speciality label releases ever since the US stores became too expensive for us EU citizens and Chris's Soundtrack Corner's Chris bother to send me an e-mail to specifically point out that I paid more for a Quartet release because I decided to order at quartet and not his store. So far I've only had very good experiences with MBR.

I don't see where my narrative is confusing? I used to order from US stores until they became too expensive. Then I used to order from Soundtrack Corner before it also became expensive and I found the experience unpleasant. I've been a happy MBR customer since.

You're right, there never was an OST album for this one... Well, the word used in the interview is "re-edition", but I hope it means "release"! 

Great news about THE RARE BREED. It is, of course, not totally unreleased. There's that old, generous suite of 18 minutes and 33 seconds that was on an old Silva JW compilation, which - to be honest - contains all the highlights of the score. But yeah -- it should get its own soundtrack release. In my ideal world coupled with THE PLAINSMAN, but that's not gonna happen.

10 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I don't understand.

We will get that suite again (reissue) or a complete score or incomplete (album format) of THE RARE BREED?

My guess is the premier release of the score by a specialty label.

It's a 1966 score, so I don't expect something really good in terms of quality. The source will probably be the movie's stems (in mono), as to my knowledge, there is no album.