James Horner's SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES (1983) - NEW! 2024 Intrada Expanded Edition

Jay

Nice, we didn't have to wait much for the first 2024 Horner release :P 

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

I see the cover quality's kept consistent.

Oh yes the stretching on the left and right sides is very noticeable. I also immediately saw a big issue on the title:

image.png?ex=65a5a302&is=65932e02&hm=10b

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Nice, we didn't have to wait much for the first 2024 Horner release :P 

Oh yes the stretching on the left and right sides is very noticeable. I also immediately saw a big issue on the title:

image.png?ex=65a5a302&is=65932e02&hm=10b

I like it! It looks like a treble clef! It's been so long since I wrote that word, I first thought it was "cliff".

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I haven't seen this film. How is it?

I like it a lot, but disclaimer, I was a kid when I saw it.  It is a Disney family spooker, and I guess there were some production difficulties, but it’s perfect for Halloween time with its Atumnal splendor and creepy setpieces. Jason Robards is pretty good in it.  The villain is creepy. Pam Grier is in it, but sort of wasted.  I haven’t watched it in a few years, but I remember it being pretty damn good. The score helps.  

I haven’t seen the film nor heard the score. Is this release recommended? What I mean is, is it copy-paste Horner or original and great Horner? The video

@Jim Ware posted sounds promising.

2 hours ago, JTW said:

I haven’t seen the film nor heard the score. Is this release recommended? What I mean is, is it copy-paste Horner or original and great Horner? The video

@Jim Ware posted sounds promising.

Check for yourself.

The score is great.  Well balanced between pastoral Americana and horror elements including eerie choir, one spider sequence of Aliens style anvil and shrieking woodwinds, and a Main Title for the evil carnival that some say melodically resembles the Imperial March, but it’s quite good.  I can’t think really of other future scores that copied and pasted things from this.  The lighthearted Americana is actually derived from the previous Deadly Blessing score, but it’s done better here. 

The more I think about it, this is fairly unique for a Horner score.  I mean, it is 100% trademark Horner, but he really didn’t reuse these motifs. 

This end title is just great. 

Disney decided it no longer exists; they can be quite dramatic at times.

4 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

And it would have been so easy to do it right. Guess I need to apply for a job with them.

SomethingWicketCD.jpg

Yeah it’s pretty upsetting when half of us could do the job better than the so-called professional.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm really looking forward to this!

I remember in March-April-June 2009, Intrada knocked it out of the park with three huge Horner premieres, scores that never had OST albums:  Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Journey of Natty Gann, and Honey I Shrunk The Kids.  All were crafted as listening experiences, not complete releases.

Will them revisiting this one, I wonder if they're gonna do the other two as well?

Journey of Natty Gann is phenomenal.  A little bit of temping from The Natural, but it is sumptuous. 

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I have wanted to watch this movie for several years, but it's not available anywhere.

I mean legally.

Disney did put it out on Blu Ray with their “Movie Club”. Copies can be found on eBay for reasonable prices. But for those just wanting to rent it, yeah they’ve left this one behind, along with Watcher in the Woods.  Both products of Disney experimenting in creative ways with edgier subject matter. 

Listened to some of the YouTube tracks. And I think, I will pass on this. The score seems as usual well crafted, but Horner rarely impresses me with his themes. Here - again - he doesn't. 

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Listened to some of the YouTube tracks. And I think, I will pass on this. The score seems as usual well crafted, but Horner rarely impresses me with his themes. Here - again - he doesn't. 

@Nick Parker "Good thing themes are overrated and are not that important"

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Still, I think you should buy the expansions not only for Something Wicked but also The Mask of Zorro, Sneakers and Dad. Not because you're going to like the music (you won't) but your comments here saying how much you hated those scores and how a Horner score never did anything to you and he's an overrated talentless prick will make you look awesome in the eyes of the many, many Horner haters that lurk in the forum. Receiving likes on the internet is better than anything according to many people.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Still, I think you should buy the expansions not only for Something Wicked but also The Mask of Zorro, Sneakers and Dad. Not because you're going to like the music (you won't) but your comments here saying how much you hated those scores and how a Horner score never did anything to you and he's an overrated talentless prick will make you look awesome in the eyes of the many, many Horner haters that lurk in the forum. Receiving likes on the internet is better than anything according to many people.

I said none of these things, but thank you. 

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm really looking forward to this!

I remember in March-April-June 2009, Intrada knocked it out of the park with three huge Horner premieres, scores that never had OST albums:  Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Journey of Natty Gann, and Honey I Shrunk The Kids.  All were crafted as listening experiences, not complete releases.

Will them revisiting this one, I wonder if they're gonna do the other two as well?

Holy Hell how was that 2009  :(

Seems ok to be optimistic we get a revisited and complete Honey i shrunk the Kids. 

Now, this is a surprise. I loved this adaptation of the great Ray Bradbury’s book when I was a kid… but haven’t seen it for many, many years and damned if I can now recall a single thing about the music. 

Certainly worth investigating. 

To those photoshoppers, a question. There's definitely something up with Intrada's cover (I may be a general apologist but I can see those lines on the edge) and while the two versions posted here are better they've still got that intended blur around the edges.

So my question is what specifically has Intrada tried to do and either failed at or done badly?

Yeah so it's not exactly one thing done wrong, but many things done lazily - the awful colours, the bad stretching to fill the frame, the unfitting font, the weak integration of the text, and the image not even being centered.

Nope, it was complete:

https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9969/.f

The reason the Horner score (and the two other Disney Horner scores Intrada premiered around the same time) wasn't released complete is that for its premiere release on album, Horner himself was involved with Intrada in crafting an "original album".

Yavar

59 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Nope, it was complete:

https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9969/.f

The reason the Horner score (and the two other Disney Horner scores Intrada premiered around the same time) wasn't released complete is that for its premiere release on album, Horner himself was involved with Intrada in crafting an "original album".

Yavar

I would be happy if they included his programme as a bonus actually.

Karol

Since Roger's post didn't say its a 2-CD set, that seems unlikely.

I’m good with a single CD since I have the original program.  Some of the 2 and 3 CD sets, though often welcome, are starting to hurt and my wishlist just gets longer. 

@crumbs thank you for taking the time to make that, and also demonstrate what can be done versus what was done.  How many of our talented members here work in some kind of graphic design?   

On 02/01/2024 at 10:52 AM, Bespin said:

I have wanted to watch this movie for several years, but it's not available anywhere.

I mean legally.

I have waited for over 40 years for Jonathan Pryce to be as good again as he was in this.

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

@A. A. Ron Adobe Photoshop :)

The latest versions have AI features integrated into the software itself.

Paid, or high seas?

3 minutes ago, Presto said:

Paid, or high seas?

Paid, it's a subscription model with Creative Cloud.

I'll look into this. I have CC anyway for Acrobat. Just never took the time to learn Photoshop since I already kind of know my way around Gimp.

@crumbs A far superior cover thanks, though on close inspection I noticed an anomaly - the drop shadow on the title is missing on 'Bradbury's,' the underscored line and 'This.' Can you sort please and repost?

35 minutes ago, raferjanders said:

@crumbs A far superior cover thanks, though on close inspection I noticed an anomaly - the drop shadow on the title is missing on 'Bradbury's,' the underscored line and 'This.' Can you sort please and repost?

Sure, I've enhanced the shadows on the title.

I'll leave the other version above for anyone who doesn't want that dark outline around the title.

something wicked enhanced.jpg