John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD (2019) - 2024 Varese Deluxe Edition

Faleel

3 hours ago, bored said:

I personally always enjoy when an orchestra is pushed to its limits. Overwhelming action is definitely my favorite, as long as it's actual crafted chaos with every part of the orchestra being represented, and not just say... loud, overworked strings, brass, and percussion with ugly, loud synths. 

Exactly! I love when Powell goes crazy with the orchestra and gives us such exciting moments. Don Davis used to do this as well, albeit in a much darker context, like in the Matrix trilogy.

But these days Hollywood seems much more in love with the ear-splitting walls of sound that Nolan and Villeneuve use so much. 

The sound of Nolan does produce the occasional moment of interest but it's usually when the composer has chosen an instrument or section and singled them out to do something interesting like a pattern or rhythm using brass or strings or percussion. (Oppenheimer excluded - I'm really liking it now)

Davis and Powell certainly do a similar thing to each other when they need chaos and I'm actually not a huge fan of this style. There are a few odd moments in Solo and JP/// where they are scoring chaos and the orchestra is following suit but with slightly less discernible structure. However, they make up for those with stunners like the Train Heist from Solo or the magnificent cage sequence from JP///. Neither films asked for nor particularly deserved such complex cues yet there they are. I know most would frown at suggestions of Williams levels of complexity and I'm sure he he had done those we'd end up with another Quidditch Match classic, but it can't be denied that these cues involve huge amounts of detail and care.

Here is the suite:

I made two versions, one with a mocked up BIG ending, and one which repeats the opening of Viking Wedding:

11 hours ago, Faleel said:

Working on a suite of the theme in Legend Has It/Viking Wedding.

11 hours ago, bored said:

Such a beautiful theme. I love that it's an evolution of the original berk theme as shown in "Stronger Together" by playing them both at the same time.

I placed my order yesterday for both releases and I got a shipping notice from Varese a short while ago.

Are these Dragon scores that good?

I tried to listen to the first one, but I found it too bombastic for my ears, as I find most of Powell's music.

I found it curious that all three of them were also released as sheet music books from Omni Music.

13 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

All of this is simply a matter of personal taste, but as I tried to figure out which works of the 21st century were significant and "major" to me... I first chose the LOTR Trilogy by Howard Shore, then the 3 Harry Potter films by Williams... then, well, the beginning of this 21st century is probably the era of Hans Zimmer too (The Dark Knight, Inception, name your favorite scores here)... but, but, but... also... John Powell and his Dragon trilogy... I think that's major too.

Note: BTW I'm curious to know how much of Powell's OSTs contain micro-edited material compared to the originally recorded cues. Is John Powell known for incorporating many micro-edits into his OSTs?

52 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The OST did contain pretty much all the important stuff, but it's nice to have the complete score. 

Yes, I think the only major missing cue is Grimmel's Surprise - the other smaller ones are nice-to-haves, as are the sections missing from Busy Berk and Armada Battle. New Berk Feast is also a really lovely cue. But that's only part of the appeal of course - a nice remastering (subtle, but it's there) is always welcome, and the first time the suite has been on CD, I believe.

Interestingly I fully agree with the microedits Powell did for the OST but as always it's nice to have the full cues to be able to go definitive on all three.

25 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

They're amazing

I tried to listen to the first one, but I found it too bombastic for my ears, as I find most of Powell's music.

Different people like different things

I found it curious that all three of them were also released as sheet music books from Omni Music.

I don't find that curious in the slightest

30 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I think relentless is an apt description. 

found it curious that all three of them were also released as sheet music books from Omni Music.

That's super weird!

If you ask me, they're some of the best scores ever. But it depends on what style you tend to appreciate. I love high energy complex stuff. That's why Powell is one of my favourites (and not so much Hans, for example).

22 minutes ago, Faleel said:

Yes.

Also, the first one is the least refined, and this last one is the most.

Pretty much, yeah. Which is why I struggle a little bit more with the first one than with the other two. It's still a truly amazing score (should've won the Oscar that year! :angry:) but Powell's music for the franchise got progressively better with each movie.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Pretty much, yeah. Which is why I struggle a little bit more with the first one than with the other two. It's still a truly amazing score (should've won the Oscar that year! :angry:) but Powell's music for the franchise got progressively better with each movie.

It's just a shame sound mixing people on the third one didn't seem to think so.

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

It's just a shame sound mixing people on the third one didn't seem to think so.

The second movie had the same problem for me. I couldn't hear a damn bit of the score in the movie itself at least half the time. The third one at least has a few more moments where there's not too much going on sound-wise so the music can shine more. 

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

4 hours ago, Faleel said:

Also, the first one is the least refined, and this last one is the most.

Definitely, but there's plenty of gems in the first one as well! Absolutely a lot of hectic, bombastic/relentless action, but plenty of lovely quieter moments as well, such as "Romantic Flight", "Forbidden Friendship", "This is Berk's" intro, "Where's Hiccup?", "Coming Back Around", and "The Vikings Have Their Tea". Not to mention the sheer thematic depth even in the first film. 

1 minute ago, bored said:

The second movie had the same problem for me. I couldn't hear a damn bit of the score in the movie itself at least half the time. The third one at least has a few more moments where there's not too much going on sound-wise so the music can shine more. 

Definitely, but there's plenty of gems in the first one as well! Absolutely a lot of hectic, bombastic/relentless action, but plenty of lovely quieter moments as well, such as "Romantic Flight", "Forbidden Friendship", "This is Berk's" intro, "Where's Hiccup", "Coming Back Around", and "The Vikings Have Their Tea". Not to mention the thematic depth even in the first film. 

I love that little harp and flute bit in See You Tomorrow.

Just now, Faleel said:

I love that little harp and flute bit in See You Tomorrow.

Absolutely, and I still love the whole score, but if someone's not into bombastic music in general, those would be the highlights with the least of that.

Grimmel's Surprise really is the best new cue!!

It's fantastic!!! That joyful statement of the Furies In Love theme which then gets blown away by Grinmel's is soo incredible!

16 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I’ll be the supportive voice for you.  They’re fine, but they’re just okay Powell scores imo.  I have to say, the first score improved for me with the expansion.  Not enough for me to have bothered listening to the expansion for the second one yet, but I think it clarifies the structure of the score a little bit.

The second benefits from its expansion most imo, as it's got the most missing (~20 mins).

Although in context of the FYC promos, the DEs aren't presenting mountains of new, unheard material like we get with a lot of other Varese DEs. My main highlight of #2 was actually hearing the Where No One Goes arrangements, with the rest of the set largely being a remastered, official version of the promo which I'd adopted as my default playlist many moons before we even know these were coming.

I'd actually say the OST for Hidden World is perfectly sufficient if you're a very casual follower of these scores, and it's a really good listening presentation. Those of us with a stronger connection get a nice remaster, a proper C&C presentation and 10 minutes or so of extra music. (Plus the demos, although they're generally a short term curiosity for me)

And I'm going to argue the FIRST benefits the most in DE form, due to the utter shite mastering of the original OST. ;)

(To be fair, I don't have the Hidden World DE yet.)

2 is my fave and I've come to love 3 but let's face it: The "hits" are in 1. Test Drive, Forbidden Friendship, Romantic Flight, See You Tomorrow, Coming Back Around (the piano solo, at least).

The only thing that comes close to those in terms of covers, high school band concerts, etc. is The Dancing and the Dreaming from 2. IMHO.

You can really hear his technique in action in his music of layering 4 piano tracks that act as the different parts of the orchestra. The scores are just so layered and have incredible attention to detail.

6 minutes ago, Faleel said:

I agree, and how many other scores (heck anything) these days have Celli sections that "sing" as much as the one in Flying with Mother?

Quite. That whole cue is full of amazing textures (I can’t for the life of me work out why it’s not in the suite on the Serebrier album as it’s clearly one of the standout tracks of the score both musically and within the film). 

3 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Flying With Mother is fantastic!!

The female voices singing in the middle together with the basses is so joyful!

It is. I just listened to the suite and it really doesn’t do the score justice at all, whereas the suite for the first one is a belter. Just have to listen to the whole thing then. Oh no… 😮 

3 minutes ago, bored said:

HTTYD 3 is mine. The choral writing, and overall more symphonic style really makes it feel like a fully matured series through the score alone. 

It's quite good.

I just wish I liked the Light Fury material more.

S: New Berk / Exodus theme

A: Hidden World

B: Light Fury, Action Music

New Berk / The Village Hymn is the highlight of the score, if for no other reason than for the choral versions played in "Once There Were Dragons". 

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Powell makes sure that something interesting is happening all the time.

Be it big brass statements, sweeping strings, dancing woodwinds, percussion going nuts, choir singing for if their lives depended on it or even the quieter pizzicato or percussion or the solo harp or pianos.

This describes very well what I love about his music! :worship:

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

Ahhhh.

image.jpeg

I'm enjoying the sequencing more than the original album. I'm not sure if they're that different. (But this one says "Deluxe"!) I can't believe that the original didn't use the title "Forbidden Courtship" instead of "Third Date".

Probably because it's not really forbidden.

On 04/03/2024 at 2:48 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I think relentless is an apt description. 

On 05/03/2024 at 9:22 AM, filip said:

And I'm going to argue the FIRST benefits the most in DE form, due to the utter shite mastering of the original OST. ;)

I'm curious if anyone else feels the Hidden World DE has a really weird EQ (esp. compared to the OST). Granted, I've only listened in my car so far, but it seems like the modern smiley-face EQ is fairly exaggerated on this album. Missing a lot of the mids.

I really noticed it when I got to my favorite little trumpet part at the end of Armada battle (7:33 of ost). People have pointed out the brass richness in Powell's scores, and I miss that on the DE. This type of EQ definitely fatigues the ear faster as well. There's less clarity between layers and it's already very dense.