John Williams In Tokyo - New live concert album coming May 3rd, 2024 from Deutsche Grammophon

Nathan95

Promising, but weird!  On my end it says it's releasing on Monday.  I thought all music releases have moved to Fridays.

Hell yeah! I was hoping they would release this great concert. Especially the E.T. Suite (Stargazing :music:) was so beautiful and I also liked "For Seiji" a lot too!

Just now, igger6 said:

Promising, but weird!  On my end it says it's releasing on Monday.  I thought all music releases have moved to Fridays.

Yeah this will release tomorrow, probably with the press release and this will be the appetizer :D

Little disappointed that the ET suite has the only the flying theme for the third movement, but we already have good recordings of the Adventures and Stargazing.  I really want the proper concert version of 3 millions light years to compile the full suite.  

23 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Ah I see, so we can't have Vienna 2 but we can have this.

Yes. DG didn't dare to publish the violin concerto twice, but we get the fourth recording of the Superman March in five years (LA, Vienna, Berlin, Tokyo).

Hurray!

5 hours ago, Nathan95 said:

Look what's just released on spotify. Maybe this concert is finally getting an album and blu-ray?

C

Unexpected, but VERY welcome.

10 hours ago, pete said:

No ET suite on the CD - that's a crime! :bash:

The one piece (3 million light years) that I really wanted.   I am happy that we are getting Tributes, but the youtube version of it is quite good, so that was less of a priority.  

30 minutes ago, Tom said:

The one piece (3 million light years) that I really wanted.   I am happy with Tributes too, but the youtube version of it is quite good.  

Maybe the blu ray version has it. I'm hoping for it.

I'm not familiar with the entire program of what was performed in Tokyo, but the Blu-Ray program seems a bit weak to me. Was the concert so bad that in the end we only get an 'old-fashioned' 1-Album version of it?

Maybe a "deluxe edition" will include the Denève tracks? At least I hope so. 

And the whole concert would be on the blu-ray, surely. Not very good value otherwise.

Ah, okay, I understand now. Denève conducted the first part of the concert, which is why the Blu-ray program seems odd.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Ah ok, I get it, Denève conducted the other half of the pieces?

Correct. He did first half of the concert

I'am (almost) sure the Blu ray version will contain the entire concert, including all the pieces from the first part, conducted by Stéphane Denève.

6 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Berlin...which was also squeezed onto a useless golden vinyl single that can't be played completely on an automatic turntable. Hurray!

Explain?

6 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Explain?

I think it is the longer track on the vinyl single (HWW over 5 minutes) which causes my automatic record player (ProJect A1 - "engineered in Germany") to prematurely raise the receiver and stop the turntable.

22 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

I think it is the longer track on the vinyl single (HWW over 5 minutes) which causes my automatic record player (ProJect A1 - "engineered in Germany") to prematurely raise the receiver and stop the turntable.

I remember playing singles up to 6 minutes without problem on my ancient record player in the 80s.

On 18/02/2024 at 3:50 PM, GerateWohl said:

Sorry. But I am getting a little tired of these 90% always same concert programs on Deutsche Grammophon CDs. No matter how good the orchestras are. 

That reminds me a little of the time when Pearl Jam were publishing tons of bootlegs of almost all their concerts.

Something like that is a great souvenir for those who were there. Or for people who don’t already own other concert recordings. But I already have enough. I am out for this.

That is why I am waiting still for the Milan and Vienna II. Vinyls :woop:

So it will be released on May 3rd. Can’t wait to get it. Too bad it can’t be pre-ordered yet.

6 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

Video of Superman march. Didn’t see it posted.

Great video, but is it me or does John look incredibly bored during the performance ? 

6 hours ago, eitam said:

Great video, but is it me or does John look incredibly bored during the performance ? 

He looks exhausted...like any other conductor of that age.

He doesn't even bother to turn the pages of the score.

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

He doesn't even bother to turn the pages of the score.

He looked much better/fitter in the Pittsburgh video from december. If I remember correctly it was very hot and humid in Japan so it's no wonder a 91 year old feels that. The white jacket makes him look older too.

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Yes, that's more likely. 

10 hours ago, eitam said:

A very good performance indeed! I guess he's just concentrating. JW isn't one of those show-off conductors.

48 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

And the jetlag. There is a 7 hour day time shift between L.A. and Japan. So 8:00 in the evening in Japan is about 3:00 in the morning L.A. time.

I would say this is more accurate. Going from the US to Asia can really be tough. I have been going back and forth for years and it absolutely has not gotten easier, if anything it gets even harder as I get older.