The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The Secret Garden (Zbigniew Preisner) -- so much of this great score is unreleased!

Oh no, really? I love this score and I loved the film as well, but had no memory of any missing music. Damn, new grail for the list!

Both LLL and Intrada seem to be rich with James Horner titles lately so I wouldn't be surprised if Varese has one or two up it's sleeve.

BRAINSTORM would be ideal but I believe there are too technical hurdles on that one.

How about Elfman's  PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE Or a new edition of ALIENS with the OST ? 

10 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Why, pray tell?

Typical licensing issue owing to two different recordings with different ownership. MGM/UA Entertainment Company etc. ( I guess?)

Varese wanted to do this many years ago but it was way too complicated and involving time consuming legalities to sort. So, someday it may happen but Im not holding my breadth.

Its one of the reason I went ahead and sought out a copy from ebay of the OST this year.

P.S. Im culling this info from various posts across messageboards

Not much left from Varese for me - they've knocked it out of the park in the last few years.

I'm not particularly pining for Sphere as we have a perfect sounding boot and it probably won't happen anyway as it's WB and Goldenthal (i.e., a perfect storm of legal shit). If the suits can't be bothered to let paying customers have it properly then I'm not going to bother getting excited about having it 'officially', especially given it would sound exactly the same.

I'd love to see 13th Warrior for a nice remaster and some extra music, but being Disney it might be more Intrada's territory.

Hence Ice Age and I, Robot are probably the two that would make me most interested.

What's still remarkable however, is that had Townson not left Varese, I may never have gotten my #1 grail as he evidently thought (alongside Brainstorm) that it wasn't worthy of his label. There may be mixed views on this, but IMO, his departure, and the new producers' more open mind, made a lot of things better. Who knows how many releases they did over the last 2 or 3 years were ones that Townson didn't want to expand?

I can't believe those idiots are still mad at Goldenthal for complaining about Bates borrowing his material for 300. Seems like such a petty thing, especially now a decade and a half over, when Snyder parted ways with Bates and then WB parted with Snyder.

That is, if the actual reason for Goldenthal WB scores not being expanded is indeed that. Because I honestly find that hard to believe.

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I can't believe those idiots are still mad at Goldenthal for complaining about Bates borrowing his material for 300. Seems like such a petty thing, especially now a decade and a half over, when Snyder parted ways with Bates and then WB parted with Snyder.

That is, if the actual reason for Goldenthal WB scores not being expanded is indeed that. Because I honestly find that hard to believe.

They probably have forgotten over it by now too!

It would be nice if the tumult in WB and changing hands has gotten rid of everyone who bore a grudge with Goldenthal.  There’s also something weird with Warner Bros (at least in the 2010s) per MV (god, don’t make me remember but he talked about it at the time of the first Batman and Batman Returns expansions) at LLL that they couldn’t release premiere releases and the expansions needed to have all preexisting music on there.  I seem to recall him saying that it might have been easier to release Batman and Robin if they had put a track from it on the OST instead of a track from Forever.

Clues are up

We're doing things a little differently this time around. A single clue that applies to both of the CD Club titles we're announcing on Friday! Let's see if you folks can crack these ones.

image.jpeg

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/pfbid0TxPQo21KfFFVtc3jXKqYsktg29J4hwuB2RqQhG9BxMqu4pNT3cdTCpKpe9Tfueqfl

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Ok, so a Newman score, evidently.

Maybe TWO!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Alfred, Thomas, or David?

Or...Randy? I absolutely adore Pleasantville and would love a Deluxe Edition of that even though it had an isolated score track (so did Rudy and Hollow Man, and I still gratefully grabbed those expansions).

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Which Newman? Thomas? Randy? Lionel? Alfred? David?

I'd be beyond shocked if it was Lionel. Varese has never released a Lionel Newman score to my knowledge.

Yavar

Not going to be Disney, so that's all of Thomas/Randy's Pixar scores out.

Thomas doesn't have much (prominent, expandable) older stuff that Varese did - The Player perhaps.

David has a couple, but nothing I'd call high profile - Serenity and Bowfinger. I reckon Ice Age is more likely/known than those.

Just leaves something really old by Alfred, and that's not my area of knowledge at all.

Alfred Newman scores released by Varese:

1. The Snake Pit (1948)
  2. The President's Lady (1953)

Randy Newman scores released by Varese:

1. Pleasantville (1998)
  2. Meet The Fockers (2004)
  3. Leatherheads (2008)

David Newman scores released by Varese:

1. Kindred, The (1987)
  2. My Demon Lover (1987)
  3. Heathers (1989)
  4. War Of The Roses, The (1989)
  5. Mr. Destiny (1990)
  6. Hoffa (1992) - expanded by LLL
  7. Sandlot, The (1993) - expanded by LLL
  8. I Love Trouble (1994)
  9. Matilda (1996)
  10. Bowfinger (1999)
  11. Affair Of The Necklace, The (2001)
  12. Ice Age (2002)
  13. Serenity (2005)

Thomas Newman scores released by Varese:

1. Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael (1990)
  2. Linguini Incident, The (1991)
  3. Player, The (1992)
  4. American Buffalo (1996)
  5. Mad City (1998)
  6. Pay It Forward (2000)
  7. In The Bedroom (2001)
  8. Salton Sea, The (2002)
  9. White Oleander (2002)
  10. Good German, The (2006)
  11. Help, The (2011)
  12. Side Effects (2013)

Didn't Thomas Newman used to be firmly against expansions for most of his work, even though a few of them have been expanded?

If he changed his mind, I'd love expansions for Lemony Snicket and The Green Mile (which are probably not Varese territory, but still).

Lemony Snicket is a Paramount film with Sony Music music rights, so any label could expand it

The Green Mile is a Warner film with Warner Music music rights, so any label could expand it (but Warner Pictures isn't working with labels right now)

Could be Phenomenon. I have one track from that. None of the others shout 'expand me!' for me.

Pleasantville I reckon is the only Randy from that list that anyone would bother deluxifying.

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Didn't Thomas Newman used to be firmly against expansions for most of his work, even though a few of them have been expanded?

Yeah, there haven't been many. Only Shawshank and Flesh and Bone come to mind. There's nothing else of his that I want. My favourite Newman score The Horse Whisperer is a magnificent listening experience, and I've seen the film (loved it) and I didn't remember anything missing.

Check SoundtrackCollector again, Jay. Varese didn’t release Phenomenon (there was just a composer promo of it and they re-recorded a single cue for their Hollywood ‘96 album… I doubt that would get them any perpetuity rights to the score).

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I would love it to be The Good German. But it probably won't be.

YESSSS!!! This would easily be my Thomas Newman want, though I want David’s Mr. Destiny and Randy’s Pleasantville expanded more.

26 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Thomas doesn't have much older stuff that Varese did

Looks like quite a bit on SoundtrackCollector… though I confess that some of these titles I have *never* heard of before! (Josh and S.A.M.???)

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Check SoundtrackCollector again, Jay. Varese didn’t release Phenomenon (there was just a composer promo of it and they re-recorded a single cue for their Hollywood ‘96 album… I doubt that would get them any perpetuity rights to the score).

YESSSS!!! This would easily be my Thomas Newman want, though I want David’s Mr. Destiny and Randy’s Pleasantville expanded more.

Yavar

Absolutely. I would also want Randy’s The Natural, Awakenings and Seabiscuit and David’s Other People’s Money expanded. 

11 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Looks like quite a bit on SoundtrackCollector…

I'll rephrase... not much older, expansion-hungry stuff. Essentially this comes down to a discussion of which Varese OSTs need or would find an audience with expanding. I'd argue certainly not all of them.

If it's not two Newman scores, I have no idea whatsoever what the other one is. For the record (just looked it up), that address is in a seemingly rather unexciting corner of London.

My biggest Randy Newman holy grails won't come from Varese or other labels but from the Legacy Collection on WDR: all of his Pixar scores, especially A Bug's Life. That's a score that deseperatly needs an expansion!

Toy Story 2 and Cars could be nice ones as well.