Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

On 25/4/2023 at 5:18 PM, Jay said:

I saw the Irishman. 80 year olds, even ones  aging in “Hollywood time,” do not move like 40 year olds. They just don’t. I’m not saying it’ll ruin the movie, but it will be noticeable, I’m sure.

I always thpught it was noticable with Sam Jackson in Captain Marvel.

And I've just started watching Shrinking and even though Ford looks fit, he moves like someone who is 70+

Actually, I don't think there is any movie this year that will make more money than Mario. Unless The Little Mermaid performs like 2017 Beauty and the Beats or 2019 Aladdin, or The Flash crazy overperforms (early reactions are saying the movie is great), or even Indy goes the distance, this will be Mario's year.

Indiana Jones is one of those things like Top Gum/Avatar/Mission Impossible that normal people love but doesn't inspire weirdos to obsessively speculate about/make Rule 34 fanart or whatever.  

There are a lot of factors against it but it could still do really well

5 minutes ago, Brando said:

I would agree.....however, my friend online has sent me screenshots of a Discord sever he's in where a girl idolized Toht and had a graphic of him as her profile pic and her handle was MeltyFace or something to that effect...He also sent me some screenshots of things she said and I'm sure she's the leader of whatever Rule 34 Indy art is out there.

Still pretty sparse.  Searching "indiana jones rule 34 why'd it have to be snakes" turned up nothing

I hope there is a scene like that really tastefully done one in X-Men: Apocalypse where 1969 Indy walks out of seeing You Only Live Twice and says "at least we can all agree, the fifth one is always the worst."

15 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Still pretty sparse.  Searching "indiana jones rule 34 why'd it have to be snakes" turned up nothing

You have to search "indiana" and "jones" as separate tags. There are definitely "snakes." 👀

On 28/04/2023 at 9:47 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Yet another Spielberg/Tim and Eric connection 

What are some others? I'm blanking.

19 hours ago, Alex said:

I saw how Harrison Ford moved at the beginning of that 6 minute clip they showed at CinemaCon. He certainly did not look 35!

he's like a hundred in this sequence, it's the prologue that's worrysome!

8 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I hope there is a scene like that really tastefully done one in X-Men: Apocalypse where 1969 Indy walks out of seeing You Only Live Twice and says "at least we can all agree, the fifth one is always the worst."

👀

... except that it wasn't the fifth one that was the worst, it was the fourth one. Man, is that ever boring :)

Indy, even if great, will not surpass Mario.  The model for this movie is likely Top Gun, which did as well as an "80s" movie could.  The teenage/YA crowd is just not likely to give a movie like IJ repeat viewings at the theatre.  I would even argue that the smarter the movie is, the less likely it will compete for a top spot.  But, that just might be the old man in me talking.  

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... except that it wasn't the fifth one that was the worst, it was the fourth one. Man, is that ever boring :)

Wait. Did you just say bad things about Thunderball?

Just now, Goldfinger said:

I mean, its crap so why not. Maybe if it was half an hour shorter it'd be tolerable, but not an awful lot happens to justify its runtime.

Possibly my favorite Bond film. Certainly my favorite Connery. It takes the scope of Hamilton's Goldfinger and gives it that Terrance Young style. (Yes, the final battle could be shorter. I guess.)

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The teenage/YA crowd is just not likely to give a movie like IJ repeat viewings at the theatre.

I don't think the YA crowd gives any movie repeat viewings at the theater. Most of the ones I know seem to prefer shorter content across the board and find movies a chore to sit through.

2 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

I don't think the YA crowd gives any movie repeat viewings at the theater. Most of the ones I know seem to prefer shorter content across the board and find movies a chore to sit through.

Stuff like SW and MCU releases are very front heavy because people see it early to avoid spoilers and then there's a significant drop.

If anything, Top Gun and Avatar succeeded specifically because they had longevity rather than a record breaking opening.  And because they were able to bring in more casual, older viewers who come in on word-of-mouth

13 hours ago, Brando said:

I would agree.....however, my friend online has sent me screenshots of a Discord sever he's in where a girl idolized Toht and had a graphic of him as her profile pic and her handle was MeltyFace or something to that effect...He also sent me some screenshots of things she said and I'm sure she's the leader of whatever Rule 34 Indy art is out there.

What is Rule 34?  I'm at work and afraid to google it. Is it like Section 31 on Star Trek?  Is it where the Ark warehouse is?

Idolizing Toht is ... troubling.

25 minutes ago, Andy said:

What is Rule 34?  I'm at work and afraid to google it. Is it like Section 31 on Star Trek?  Is it where the Ark warehouse is?

I wish it was Andy...I wish it was.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Wait. Did you just say bad things about Thunderball?

I certainly did, Stanley.

I disagree about the underwater battle. That's probably the best thing about it... well, that and Luciana Paluzzi :)

Like @Goldfinger said; it's too long and not much happens.

I don't know. For me, there's something about THUNDERBALL. It lacks the style of GOLDFINGER, and the panache and intrigue of FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, but then who am I to say, after all, I like SPECTRE, a film which doesn't get that much love, around here. Go figure.

I like the score and the overall tone of the movie, but the underwater climax drags a bit too much and I'm not ok with how Bond literally rapes a girl in a sauna. Trim the former and remove the latter and I'd rank the movie considerably higher.

On 30/4/2023 at 11:15 PM, Brando said:

Y’all don’t wanna know more than that summary of events…

On 01/05/2023 at 1:06 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Indiana Jones is one of those things like Top Gum/Avatar/Mission Impossible that normal people love but doesn't inspire weirdos to obsessively speculate about/make Rule 34 fanart or whatever.  

The internet of 2009 and 2010 was awash with bizarre tattoos and Rule 34 images of the Na'avi. It did kind of disappear over time, but I'm sure it's still out there in droves.

On 02/05/2023 at 1:46 AM, A. A. Ron said:

They also don't have nearly as much disposable income as previous generations, and going to the movies is now an insanely expensive exercise. I saw Fellowship in cinemas five times when I was a teen, but back then going to the movies was a cheap and fun way to pass time - these days it can cost me up to $50AUD for a ticket, popcorn and a drink.

6 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I saw Fellowship in cinemas five times when I was a teen, but back then going to the movies was a cheap and fun way to pass time - these days it can cost me up to $50AUD for a ticket, popcorn and a drink.

Cut out the snacks and the Mountain Dew, and you could afford to see AVATAR 2 three times. The Mouse would love you, for it.

8 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It's rare that going to the movies ends up costing me more than about a tenner, but I'm more of a 'eat before I go' than a 'snacking during' kind of guy.  

You know, that actually sounds wiser...

Maybe I should try it...