Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

He definitely should have an honorary Oscar 

Years ago. He’s an American actor legend who gets a Palm d’Or before getting an Oscar. Shame on Hollywood.

25 minutes ago, JTW said:

Years ago. He’s an American actor legend who gets a Palm d’Or before getting an Oscar. Shame on Hollywood.

He has the AFI award, which in my mind is much more prestigious than an Oscar--but I know many here do not agree with me on that.  

https://www.indiewire.com/criticism/movies/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-review-1234864859/

This review isn't too complimentary ... then again, it heaps praise on Crystal Skull and The Last Jedi so I dunno. 

i read people say that booing in cannes is a good sign because they applaud bullshit with ten minute standing ovations and i laughed (came with a list of stuff that got booed)

if anything, it goes to show that sometimes you need to let stuff sit for a while

Strange how it seems to be the same people on the internet gleefully sharing the more negative critic reviews who dismissed any positive critic reviews of The Last Jedi.

I mean, its still a small number of reviews, so we'll have to wait and see. But typically these previews get the most positive responses (remember The Rise of Skywalker premiere?) and, generally, these aggregate scores tend to start high and go down. And they're all "Top critics" reviews so you can't blame it on review-blasting because of some political agenda.

Good grief.

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Good heavens, 33% rotten from twelve "top critics" reviews already! And Metacritic ain't much better! 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/indiana_jones_and_the_dial_of_destiny

Ah man. Mangold seemed so confident as well. I genuinely thought he’d knock it out of the park. 

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

I mean, its still a small number of reviews, but typically these previews get the most positive responses (remember The Rise of Skywalker premiere?) and, generally, these aggregate scores tend to start high and go down. And they're all "Top critics" reviews so you can't blame it on review-blasting because of some political agenda.

Good grief.

are you telling me that AOTC probably opened with MORE GOOD TOMATOES?

You know, as they killed Han Solo, everything is possible. If they make another Jack Ryan movie, he'll die, if they make a Sabrina 2, Linus will die, etc. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You know, as they killed Han Solo, everything is possible.

Star Wars (especially since 1980) is a fair bit less Quixotic than Indiana Jones, though...

I mean, Indiana Jones even passes on the obligatory father figure's death.

I remain hopeful that the movie will be very good, though the bloated runtime does worry me.  More is not better when it comes to Indy (other than the score, of course).  It is like an Olympic theme that runs for 10 minutes--you'd be exhausted somewhere in the middle.  

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Good heavens, 33% rotten from twelve "top critics" reviews already! And Metacritic ain't much better! 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/indiana_jones_and_the_dial_of_destiny

Now 43% from 14 reviews. 

I've posted it elsewhere, but its:

43% "rotten" and 5.6/10 for all reviews (14).

33% "rotten" and 5.3 for "top critics" reviews (12)

51 on Metacritic, mostly (10 out 14 reviews) mixed.

Plus the (mostly mixed) foreign-language reviews above.

This is not going well.

This is like Batman v Superman all over again. We were all eagerly antecipating the reviews, most people expecting a new superhero classic or at least a good movie... and most of the reviews were disastrous. An acquaintance of mine said that day was like 9/11 for DC fans (he didn't know then how awful things would get from there).

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

This is like Batman v Superman all over again. We were all eagerly antecipating the reviews, most people expecting a new superhero classic or at least a good movie... and most of the reviews were disastrous. An acquaintance of mine said that day was like 9/11 for DC fans (he didn't know then how awful things would get from there).

Well for one thing we would then go see the movie. To this day I'm astonished at how much I love Man of Steel and what a crashing disappointment BvS is.

Indy: I'm back to my original plan. I'm not going opening weekend. I'll wait to hear from folks. Unfortunately most of the people whose opinions I trust are waiting to hear what I think of it! Crystal Skull burned us that bad.

35 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Are we really all being influenced by what critics are saying.

No. But I'm sure the people behind the movie are not pleased at that...

We need to look on the bright side--dozens of reactions and not one gripe about the score.  I wanted JW to leave the franchise (and maybe film career) on a high note, which looks to be happening.  Hopefully the movie will still be a crowd-pleaser, even if not a critical darling.  

Well, the public's response to Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and especially Super Mario Bros was way more positive than the critics'. Maybe something similar can happen with this? I mean, even KotCS performed well at the box office because, despite being a terrible movie IMO, it was still crowdpleasing.

21 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

even KotCS performed well at the box office because, despite being a terrible movie IMO, it was still crowdpleasing.

I don't doubt it will turn a nice profit. But for the meanwhile, its shaping up to be far less critically well-recieved than those other films you mentioned.

I mean, The Rise of Skywalker did $1 billion, too!

I think it's entirely acceptable that Rocket Raccoon is a relevant adventure blockbuster character and Indiana Jones isn't. It's 2023.

(the problem being the former thing is trapped inside the Marvel universe and that they don't pay comic creators)

4 minutes ago, Brónach said:

funnily enough, cgi serves the best scene in TROS, unlike the scenes stuck in trying to look like the OT

What scene do you mean?

Although I don't remember the film. I saw it once, and I've forgotten it.

the sequence in Endor. it's normal to forget TROS. It was never going to be able to be good. we just get glimpses at a cool movie that doesn't exist.

these movies failed rey, and failed anakin

i lost my point though, my point is that it would be impossible for indiana jones to make something with the same level of FUCK YEAH as Endor in TROS because it's Indiana Jones. it's not a cycle, it doesn't have fantasy CGI planets, daisy ridley isn't fighting adam driver in it, there can be nothing equivalent

5 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Are we really all being influenced by what critics are saying.

I'm still so excited about this film. No matter what the reviews are saying. I love so many films that got bad reviews. Maybe that says something about me, but I don't care

You posted my thoughts 100%. 

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Yeah, major Rise of Skywalker vibes here.

Fine by me. I love that movie.