The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

It's funny what ends up on people's tombstones. When Alec Guinness passed away Star Wars was a footnote. But when Christopher Lee died it was 100% Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

Angela Lansbury is Murder, She Wrote (not surprising) and Mrs. Potts (a little surprising).

Now excuse me, I'm going to listen to Sweeney Todd.

So many wonderful performances over so many decades.  She’s way more than just Mrs. Potts and Jessica Fletcher.

She played one of the all-time great screen baddies in The Manchurian Candidate!

RIP, one of the finest

In 1966 Lansbury introduced the Christmas classic "We Need a Little Christmas" in the musical Mame, but a (rightly) forgotten little pop culture corner is the 1996 TV musical Mrs. Santa Claus, which I vividly remember when I was 9 watching on CBS. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

In 1966 Lansbury introduced the Christmas classic "We Need a Little Christmas" in the musical Mame, but a (rightly) forgotten little pop culture corner is the 1996 TV musical Mrs. Santa Claus, which I vividly remember when I was 9 watching on CBS. 

My partner has a Christmas jumper with Angela Lansbury as Mrs Santa Claus all over it. It’s tacky as hell but also amazing lol. 

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

My partner has a Christmas jumper with Angela Lansbury as Mrs Santa Claus all over it. It’s tacky as hell but also amazing lol. 

She's sort of a classical ideal of what a Mrs. Claus portrayal should look like, minus the plump-ness.  Certainly closer to the ideal than Goldie Hawn!  Who knew elves could give botox treatments!

image.png

You know, I've been wondering for a while now if Let it Ride was as good as I remembered it. This might be a time to find out.

I think that was the first thing I remember seeing him in. Krull doesn't count because I didn't remember him.

Those of us of a certain age here in the UK will remember his 80s comedy appearances in the likes of The Comic Strip Presents, The Young Ones and Blackadder and in a groundbreaking crime drama called Cracker, in which he played a psychological profiler (pretty much unheard of on British TV up to that point). And as has already been mentioned, Zukovsky was a highlight of the 2 Brosnan Bonds he appeared in. 

R.I.P. indeed.     

I watched a couple episodes of Alfresco, the early 80s sketch comedy show he was in with Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry, et. al.  They're all on Youtube!

Here's a Cold War espionage parody with Coltrane, Fry, and Laurie:

• 2 weeks later...

Iconic (among the gay community) actor Leslie Jordon has died. The diminutive actor was what is called a hoot. He died in a car accident after a "medical emergency" He was unique and one of a kind.  

He made everything he was in better. 

I had understood that he was an icon, but I am not aware of his career, I think I saw him the last time in American Horror Story 1984... playing a very serious character.

Courtney1984.webp

A delightful, wonderful man, and I'm very sad to hear of his passing. I came to him late through his very funny social media videos in the early days of the pandemic, and he was a source of great joy at a difficult time. 

43 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Time to go watch The Hobbit.

I still want the scores to those, especially ROTK.

Not a patch on Shore's work, but some decent work in there.

I mentioned this while recording an episode of my buddy’s Christmas podcast recently, but I would love love LOVE Rankin-Bass score releases or even just song releases.  Very unrepresented despite some freaks’ desire to buy Everything Christmas.  

At this point some of my nostalgic favorites would be among my holy grails.

52 minutes ago, Roll the Bones said:

I still want the scores to those, especially ROTK.

Not a patch on Shore's work, but some decent work in there.

There is some amazing work. It's even more amazing because this was "just television".

57 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I mentioned this while recording an episode of my buddy’s Christmas podcast recently, but I would love love LOVE Rankin-Bass score releases or even just song releases.  Very unrepresented despite some freaks’ desire to buy Everything Christmas.  

At this point some of my nostalgic favorites would be among my holy grails.

Yes I would buy any and all of them.  I needs them precious.

11 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I fear that a lot of them would be/are financially unviable due to their use of big label recording artists.  Lots of estates to deal with.

It's all Thurl's fault.

11 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I fear that a lot of them would be/are financially unviable due to their use of big label recording artists.  Lots of estates to deal with.

At least for something like Santa Claus is Coming to Town (my personal favorite), I can’t imagine the recordings having too complicated an ownership setup, other than the title song being a separate copyright from the original music written by Maury Laws.

RIP Jerry Lee Lewis, the very last of the original rock 'n roll stars.  They're all gone now.

Nevermind, he's not dead!

https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/news/report-infamous-rock-and-roll-star-jerry-lee-lewis-dies-at-87/

image.png

Mine too were on fire today, we just lived the Indian summer here in the south of Québec with temperature way above the normals.

Even at this hour  it's still 16 degrees.

Sweet little 16, yup.

Apparently it's for real this time.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/jerry-lee-lewis-free-wheeling-wild-man-rock-n-roll-dies-87-rcna4456

RIP Jerry Lee Lewis, the very last of the original rock 'n roll stars.  They're all gone now.

A true original... not every pedophile married their 13-years old crush!

I'm kidding.  According to today's laws, many people would now be considered as "sex offenders", starting with Elvis.

Other times, other manners.

Nice recording from 1986.

• 2 weeks later...