Unexpected random encounters with the music of John Williams

Fabulin

This is decidely not a random encounter with John Williams' music, but it was a random encounter with...something today:

(sadly, it does not use the theme as far in as I got)

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brónach said:

this quote was more expected

Cf. Matt Bellamy's opening here (after the playback Prokofiev):

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Cf. Matt Bellamy's opening here (after the playback Prokofiev):

That one's credited in the booklet. This one (not an exact quote) isn't:

57 minutes ago, Brónach said:

does Muse credit Morricone about the some of the live versions of Knights of Cydonia?

Not that I know. But unless they actually played some real Morricone live (I don't recall?), I don't think the song owes anything to him beyond the (massive, but obvious) entire thing being an over-the-top take on his classic spaghetti western style (with a considerable dose of Queen thrown in just because).

Oh right, I think they may have done it like that when I saw them live for the first time (on the Resistance tour). I imagine Morricone would definitely get a credit on a live recording, but I don't know what the rules for the actual concert are (or where they'd put the credit).

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Darth Mulder said:

How likely is it that a recording of Williams' music could be bought in Paris in 1962? The image is from the Jean-Luc Godard film, Vivre Sa Vie (1962)

image.jpeg

Possibly this?

On 06/07/2023 at 6:27 AM, Darth Mulder said:

image.jpeg

Neat find! I've seen VIVRE SA VIE at least twice, but never saw that. Hopefully it's "our" Williams.

Williams' RHYTHM IN MOTION album is also featured onscreen in Altman's THE KATERINE REED STORY, but in that case it's an intentional nod, of course.

22 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

second viewing

Nice - have seen that before my second viewing/listening as well; I've already been to a third screening together with my father, who actually is the exact same age as Harrison Ford and donned a shoulder bandage similar to Indy at the beginning of this year.

He quite liked this one and certainly could relate to the age; he forgot a lot about the other movies though and I had to explain; about the music during the end credits too - lo and behold as soon as I mentioned that even Mutter is on the CD he wanted one as well. His first soundtrack, ever!

I mean, Mutter and the BSO are performing Williams' Violin Concerto Nr. 2 at the Salzburger Festspiele this summer ... amazing times!  \:D/

• 2 weeks later...

Watching an interview with japanese composer Shiho Terada (wich I was only watching because she arranges the music for my favorite band JAM Project) she is asked what piece of music she first fell in love with, it was Olympic Fanfare and Theme, she sings a little bit:

https://youtu.be/ma1wr5--fb0?list=PLMKGxRB44yNGvvZXmH0f5EhQoEeP1TshL&t=1423

• 2 weeks later...

Huh, nice examples.... Well, John Williams is so popular that you can come across his music in most unexpected places... Our school director, in a very small town, loves Star Wars and often included some of famous scores out there in school activities programs :) especially... The Imperial March :)

My most unexpected encounter was not with his music but the man himself - for my high school english finals, the listening task was an interview with him about the music of SW! I answered all the questions before the recording was even started of course.

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

for my high school english finals, the listening task was an interview with him about the music of SW! 

Woah, that's incredibly cool, and seemingly random. Maybe your teacher was a fan? 

• 3 weeks later...

Walking early morning through a neighborhood with a lot of restaurants, you usually hear the sound systems used for muzak being (ab)used by the employees doing prep work, but the other day instead of the usual hip hop-ish stuff there was a familiar piano tune being played, it was the Presumed Innocent theme, and a unusual version, so it was from last year's Varèse CD.

• 2 weeks later...

A character in Stephen King's latest novel, Holly, hums the Raiders March and Williams is named. Actually not a complete surprise - but it was nice to come across. There have been a few mentions of Williams in his books. A reference to the Close Encounters five note motive is another I remember, but I don't recall the book at the moment. I wonder if he's everr attended a concert?

And just Googling the two names... Wow... John Williams moonlighted as his editor! :D

King says he originally submitted only three novellas to his then-editor John Williams but, since he called them “seasons,” Williams felt there should be a fourth, so he wrote “The Breathing Method.”

Shame there aren't any actual Stephen King-John Williams connections (that I'm aware of, anyway). It would have been interesting to hear him do something in the King universe, like so many other great composers have done. The meeting of two icons.

Since the 80s there were good reasons to stay away from King in regards of movies. Yes, there was Shining. And The Dead Zone was okay and Misery was good. But usually Kings was known for trash adaptations of his books. Yes, it has changed a little in the meantime. But different than Phillip K. Dick or James Elroy or Mark Grisham, who were famous for easily adaptable for movies, King wasn't.

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Since the 80s there were good reasons to stay away from King in regards of movies. Yes, there was Shining. And The Dead Zone was okay and Misery was good. But usually Kings was known for trash adaptations of his books. Yes, it has changed a little in the meantime. But different than Phillip K. Dick or James Elroy or Mark Grisham, who were famous for easily adaptable for movies, King wasn't.

You are mostly not wrong, but Frank Darabont must be mentioned.

Watched The Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me recently. Don't know how faithful they are as adaptations, as I haven't read the novellas, but they're excellent movies.

7 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Watched The Shawshank Redemption

The end of the anecdote isn't shown, but basically Stephen said, "Well, I wrote that", and the lady says "no you didn't!"

On 31/5/2023 at 12:43 AM, igger6 said:

This is decidely not a random encounter with John Williams' music, but it was a random encounter with...something today:

(sadly, it does not use the theme as far in as I got)

I took one for the team and listened all the way to the end, and nope, no E.T. theme! You're welcome.

On 7/7/2023 at 6:59 AM, BB-8 said:

The voice reminded me of:

Nothing quite like 'Manamana' to put a smile on your face!

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

But instead of just recording his concerts they should rather produce recordings of his concertos and probably his symphony. 

That would be wonderful if they ever get around to it; it'd further entrench JW's deserved position in the classical firmament.

Goddamn branding. Why should a yellow label make a difference in people's minds about classical music legitimacy? It shouldn't, but it does.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Amer said:

Saw this posted on Facebook somewhere.  Thought I'd pop it here.

Mark Hamill holding the STAR WARS OST Vinyl.

FB_IMG_1697427260400.jpg

Reminded me of this article...

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/williams/mark-hamill-reunited-signed-star-wars-soundtrack/