New Spielberg movie: The Fabelmans (2022)

Once

This early debut increases the chance Williams will premiere a concert suite before the wide release.   Either way, shouldn't there be a trailer already for a movie that will have its debut in six weeks?  

The public does not need to see a trailer for a film that is only showing at one specific festival, no

A trailer will arrive before its public release date (November 11)

Yeah, while TIFF is open to the public ( @The Illustrious Jerry ya gotta try to get in!), for a movie that's already high profile like Fabelmans, it's basically just the kickoff of its awards campaign, more for industry insiders and the press to see.  Of course if it sucks, it's the beginning and end of the Oscar campaign :lol:

42 minutes ago, Stu said:

Of course if it sucks, it's the beginning and end of the Oscar campaign :lol:

Never say never 

Extremely_loud_and_incredibly_close_film

I imagine it'll be like when Lincoln premiered at the New York film festival a month or so before release.  At best we'll get general impressions.  No new footage or music 

Although the Lincoln trailer had already been released before its NYFF premiere, so we already had a look at it plus new Williams music. And that screening was a bit of a secret iirc, it was only announced like the day before it happened. 

I'm sure Universal is using TIFF to launch the marketing and awards campaign -- TIFF gives out a People's Choice Award that usually becomes an Oscar frontrunner so Spielberg is probably hoping to win that. TIFF will probably get an official still for social media and to use in their ads and booklets and stuff. Maybe they reveal that with the official festival schedule and the Fabelmans premiere date, and then Universal puts out the trailer around the premiere. 

In other gossip, Universal apparently blew off Venice Film Festival director Alberto Barbera :lol: oops

Did you get everything you wanted? The only film that seems to have gotten away is Steven Spielberg’s “The Fabelmans”?

That one got away from everyone. Everybody wanted to see it. But it seemed that the release date was too far ahead. Then we got this surprise announcement [that it’s going to Toronto]. I have to admit that, in this case, it was a bit unpleasant. All of us would have expected more clarity from Universal. You can say, ‘We are aiming for a different type of marketing campaign.’ But to let us know [ahead of the Toronto announcement] would not have been a bad thing. [Laughs]. That said, we’ve worked very well with Universal on other films.

Promising, though I would argue that Spielberg has not "knocked it out of the park" since Lincoln, and even then I could be convinced otherwise.  However, Spielberg and movies about childhood tend to bring out his best.  

First reactions are always very favorable. But there's very little in his later style of moviemaking (and movies) that makes me enthusiastic about The Fabelmans. Let's hope Tom is right about childhood bringing out the best in Spielberg. 

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

Promising, though I would argue that Spielberg has not "knocked it out of the park" since Lincoln, and even then I could be convinced otherwise.  However, Spielberg and movies about childhood tend to bring out his best.  

I haven't seen Lincoln (I know) or The Post.

But I'd say that he hit it out of the park with Ready Player One in such a way that I didn't even realize it until I was watching it for the third time.

West Side Story was so out of the park that I loved it and I don't even like West Side.

With BFG the park hit him. And then did bad things to him.

I would like to see Bridge of Spies again. I would especially like to see it in a cinema. It was just a good movie. It wasn't epic. It wasn't the next Saving Private Ryan or Jurassic Park. It was Spielberg loving making movies. That's definitely out of the park.

8 hours ago, Gibster said:

I was invited and didn’t go. They didn’t say what the movie would be.😭

You are killing me.  

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Bridge of Spies

How about a triple vs home run.  

8 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I haven't seen Lincoln (I know) or The Post.

But I'd say that he hit it out of the park with Ready Player One in such a way that I didn't even realize it until I was watching it for the third time.

West Side Story was so out of the park that I loved it and I don't even like West Side.

With BFG the park hit him. And then did bad things to him.

I would like to see Bridge of Spies again. I would especially like to see it in a cinema. It was just a good movie. It wasn't epic. It wasn't the next Saving Private Ryan or Jurassic Park. It was Spielberg loving making movies. That's definitely out of the park.

I think all of these movies are good to very good (even BFG, though it works best if you are 8 or 9 years old), but they are not masterpieces and not even great, but I am inevitably comparing them to his best.  You do need to see Lincoln.  It is very compelling and dramatic.  

1 hour ago, Gibster said:

This doesn’t exactly scream Fabelmans

B49DEF21-8803-4DA8-84F0-BA12145253D1.jpeg

Even if it wasn't Fabelmans, I would have gone because that seems like fun.

43 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

He hasn't hit it out of the park since Duel. 

Especially that little fish movie

On 27/07/2022 at 3:11 PM, mrbellamy said:

Had a nice PM exchange with a Reddit stranger. I asked about the film and a few particulars on the music (namely, any sequence where music was the most prominent, any JW scores they'd compare it to, any instruments in particular that dominated the score, and the IMDb listing on a "Solo Singer"). They liked the movie and were indifferent on the score, said they haven't loved a JW since Revenge of the Sith, so take that for what it's worth.

The Book Thief sounds about right.  however, I would expect the main themes to be more lyrical and upbeat.  It would be cool if Williams went with a classical sound for the source music (instead of just straight classical pieces).  I would bet that there is one bigger set piece as well--not asteroid-field level stuff but some big playful scherzo or fuguish-type piece. 

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Do we need Spielberg to direct a baseball movie?

No, we already have the ultimate baseball movie.

thenatural1984.84605.jpg

On 27/07/2022 at 4:11 PM, mrbellamy said:

Spoiler
  Hide contents

hmmm can’t think of any moments with a singer but maybe i forgot. There’s a lot of piano, bc michelle williams character is a pianist, so there is a quite a bit of diagetic music that she is playing in scenes that he’ll then crosscut with other scenes so her playing is effectively used as score, but i don’t know enough about music to know if what’s being played is classic stuff or original compositions by JW. Having just listened to some bits of recent williams scores, the one that sounded the most like this is probably the Book thief.

Michelle Williams is certainly my fav performance in the movie. she’s really excellent. Judd Hirsch is also fantastic but is only in one scene. he just totally takes over the movie for about 5 minutes though and it’s probably my favorite 5 mins of the movie.

David Lynch is only in one scene. He’s hilarious. He is playing John Ford. If you’ve seen the spielberg doc where he explains his meeting with Ford, lynch pretty much does word for word.

Overall vibe of the movie is pretty light. it gets dramatic at points but it’s mostly a pretty lighthearted coming of age movie. the film i thought of most while watching it was licorice pizza.

I just listened to Book Thief, and it's pretty good.  Reading that it's similar to Fabelmans's score gets me excited for November.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jay said:

So his mom has an affair with her husband's coworker? Awkward!

I would have prefered if his dad had an affair with a male coworker. Maybe Spielberg censored himself, we'll never know!

I'm leaving Arizona this week. Maybe for the last time. I have a feeling I might find this a little hard to take. I visited my old high school this week (I had an English teacher who knew Spielberg) but I didn't visit Spielberg's.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

well maybe this is scarcely spotted film so we could have the complete score in the OST..

Lol. Seth Rogers’s character is probably going to have a theme, so there’s 4-7 minutes of the disc right there. 

I am very excited about this movie, it sounds like it’s going to be fun.