Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

James Southall’s review is up:

http://www.movie-wave.net/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny/

Any idea what particular cue he is probably referring to when he says “...some of the great music featured in the film that isn’t on the album (one cue in particular – the one that everyone else has said)”? I know we’d all like the music from the opening flashback sequence (but that’s a collection of cues), as well as the New York chase music (but isn’t that possibly by William Ross?), but is there a consensus I wasn’t aware of, about one specific “Holy Grail” cue?

I don't know, maybe the third travel sequence, with the Archimedes theme on full french horns?

Any idea what particular cue he is probably referring to when he says “...some of the great music featured in the film that isn’t on the album (one cue in particular – the one that everyone else has said)”? I know we’d all like the music from the opening flashback sequence (but that’s a collection of cues), as well as the New York chase music (but isn’t that possibly by William Ross?), but is there a consensus I wasn’t aware of, about one specific “Holy Grail” cue?

Hm, I read quite a few reviews / remarks, but the consensus was rather that there isn't any really significant music missing, and there certainly was no repeated mention of one specific missing cue as far as I can tell. Now, I would love to hear the complete music for archimedes' tomb (among others), but he was probably not referring to that scene, I guess.

21 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

I don't know, maybe the third travel sequence, with the Archimedes theme on full french horns?

Hm, which sequence is that? There are only two map sequences as far as I recall, which are heard in “To Athens” (Helena’s theme) and “The Grafikos” (the Antiquity theme).

4 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Hm, which sequence is that? There are only two map sequences as far as I recall, which are heard in “To Athens” (Helena’s theme) and “The Grafikos” (the Antiquity theme).

My bad, I thought it wasn't on the OST.

The Schriffin-esque parade music (not to be confused with the marching music by William Ross)

20 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The Schriffin-esque parade music (not to be confused with the marching music by William Ross)

What marching music did Ross write? I assumed “Pulse of the City” was the Schifrin-esque cue. The only marching music I could clearly make out was classic American patriotic music.

Just now, Tydirium said:

What marching music did Ross write? I assumed “Pulse of the City” was the Schifrin-esque cue. The only marching music I could clearly make out was classic American patriotic music.

From the Mangold interviews it seems like it was pretty clear Williams was the one who wrote it 

Is it feasible that an early draft of the movie had the opening take place in Germany and JW based a cue title on that. Then later the location was changed to France but JW didn't change the cue title and the album track is based on the cue title. Not sure if that's feasible but it would explain it.

59 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Is it feasible that an early draft of the movie had the opening take place in Germany and JW based a cue title on that. Then later the location was changed to France but JW didn't change the cue title and the album track is based on the cue title. Not sure if that's feasible but it would explain it.

You're probably right

But to your point, I refuse to blame JW.

If Mangold can respond to tweets about the score, he can approve the final tracklist for the score.

Okay, I'm looking at finally buying the album - I wanted to wait till I'd seen the film, but seeing the film deflated my interest in the album. Now that it's reinflated somewhat, I'm looking, and ... it's digital-only? With a CD release only available for preorder on a DisneyMusicEmporium.com page that currently looks like this?

image.png

5 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm assuming it might be out of stock, it's not showing up for me either (except in my "Orders" page).

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion that the CD may already be out of stock.

Feels like the market is forcing the majority of potential clients to make do with lousy MP3 downloads or YouTube rips while the CD and vinyl editions are handled like limited gimmicks for retro-fetishists.

4 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion that the CD may already be out of stock.

Feels like the market is forcing the majority of potential clients to make do with lousy MP3 downloads or YouTube rips while the CD and vinyl editions are handled like limited gimmicks for retro-fetishists.

I mean, it's available in CD quality from Qobuz, but I'd still rather buy this one on actual CD.

12 hours ago, Datameister said:

Okay, I'm looking at finally buying the album - I wanted to wait till I'd seen the film, but seeing the film deflated my interest in the album. Now that it's reinflated somewhat, I'm looking, and ... it's digital-only? With a CD release only available for preorder on a DisneyMusicEmporium.com page that currently looks like this?

image.png

Was about to order myself too and stumbled upon the same page.... :( 

23 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I think aladdin was also unavailable for a while and now there it is. Hope they just sold out the first batch

Man, I can't believe that after decades of collecting JW CDs I am going to miss the last one altogether because I did not preorder it more than a month in advance :(

Frankly, the "Product currently not available"  generic message and the "In order for everyone to enjoy the magic, this item is limited to 2 per customer"  sentence on the LP page means to me that it was a limited edition and it looks like it's gone (I have seen stuff "currently" unavailable for years and forever on web sites). And the movie dissapointing box office will certainly not help to repress.  

I did not pay attention and did not go to the Disney site, if I had read the "limited" message on the CD page, I would probably have ordered it without waiting.... 

Of course, we still have the music but what a dumb way to miss such an historic CD release (my guess is some copies will end up at crazy prices on Ebay...)

I ordered immediately but payment didn't work, so my first order was apparently lost - but I didn't notice.

I then went to see the film on July 1. After that, I considered ordering the vinyl for old times' sake. I luckily added the CD again (realising only then that this release could be limited).

I find this "2 copies per client" policy almost communist. 

Out of the door, line on the left, 2 CDs each...

4 hours ago, BB-8 said:

I ordered immediately but payment didn't work, so my first order was apparently lost - but I didn't notice.

I then went to see the film on July 1. After that, I considered ordering the vinyl for old times' sake. I luckily added the CD again (realising only then that this release could be limited).

I find this "2 copies per client" policy almost communist. 

And... is that a bad thing?

Probably an easy thing to say when you have a copy, but what about the others? 

Why exactly would someone need MORE than 2 copies of a CD anyway? (except maybe to hmm... resell them?)

If you were empty handed because someone had bought 10 copies of this limited edition instead of leaving the others for 8 or 9 more people to enjoy, my guess is that you would not find such an "almost communist policy"(your words) so bad after all. Sorry if I misinterpreted your comment, but I don't see the problem with such limitations.

Clemmensen's review is up!

https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/dial_destiny.html

Someone please give me a summary.

1 hour ago, Coco314 said:

Why exactly would someone need MORE than 2 copies of a CD anyway?

One for the house, one for the car, one for the office, one for the cabin, one spare copy, five for gifts to close friends and family, and ten more if it's a digipak since about 50% of these get damaged in transit.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Clemmensen's review is up!

https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/dial_destiny.html

Someone please give me a summary.

Buy it... if you are prepared to be impressed by John Williams' ability to maintain his high standards of adventure and romanticism in this rousing conclusion to a nostalgic franchise.

Avoid it... on the album if you expect a satisfying presentation of the music heard in the film, Williams emphasizing suite arrangements that don't always reflect the personality of the score itself.

8 hours ago, Damien F said:

The score for the new Mission Impossible movie was released today with two hours of music. Meanwhile, we JW fans get a single CD release with 13 minutes of empty space!

Given the miraculous 90 minute, single CD release of Dungeons and Dragons, even more music could have been released, it seems...

11 hours ago, Coco314 said:

And... is that a bad thing?

Probably an easy thing to say when you have a copy, but what about the others? 

Why exactly would someone need MORE than 2 copies of a CD anyway? (except maybe to hmm... resell them?)

If you were empty handed because someone had bought 10 copies of this limited edition instead of leaving the others for 8 or 9 more people to enjoy, my guess is that you would not find such an "almost communist policy"(your words) so bad after all. Sorry if I misinterpreted your comment, but I don't see the problem with such limitations.

As long as there is a reprint policy in place...

But why should individual buying decisions depend on how others behave?

I could only accept this if the natural resources within the supply chain were critically limited and the product was essential for individual health and survival.