Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget (2023 Netflix movie, music by Harry Gregson-Williams)

Edmilson

The movie will be released on Netflix on December 15, 2023.

Synopsis:

“Having pulled off a death-defying escape from Tweedy’s farm, Ginger has finally found her dream – a peaceful island sanctuary for the whole flock, far from the dangers of the human world,” reads the synopsis. “When she and Rocky hatch a little girl called Molly, Ginger’s happy ending seems complete. But back on the mainland the whole of chicken-kind faces a new and terrible threat. For Ginger and her team, even if it means putting their own hard-won freedom at risk – this time, they’re breaking in!”

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1296094-chicken-run-2-release-date-netflix

HGW is currently recording his score in London:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/06/12/harry-gregson-williams-scoring-aardmans-chicken-run-dawn-of-the-nugget/

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Trope said:

I'm just excited that we're getting another animated score by Harry! I can't believe a composer of his calibre is writing music for projects like "Meg 2: The Trench" or "Retribution" (some cheapo Liam Neeson film I didn't know existed until yesterday).

His last animated film "Early Man" (also from Aardman and co-written with Tom Howe) was one of my favourite scores from 2018, featuring a handful of solid themes, vibrant orchestrations, and a good balance between silliness and some genuinely heartwarming moments. Well worth a listen!

Yeah HGW is great and it’s a shame that he is doing these types of projects these days. I don’t understand it, given his filmography.

Besidez Chicken Run we're also getting another orchestral work by Gregson-Williams this year.

The Gilded Age Season 2 in collaboration with his brother Rupert. First season was great, so I'm also looking forward to that

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Only some of them. But yeah… apart from Mel Gibson, I wonder why they would?

Yavar

One theory I’ve read is certain members of the original cast had a sequel clause in their contract which meant they were due a significant pay rise. Could be a cost-cutting thing.

11 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

I just realized the movie release date is Dec 15, presumably the soundtrack release date is the same.

Then on that day, we will have a battle of the century between HGW’s score and John Powell’s highly anticipated score of Migration (the soundtrack will be released one week before the movie release date on Dec 22)

Funny that apart they used to be partner,

both soundtrack revolve around poultry! And both will probably be heavily kazoos-induced! 😱🔥🔥

Really looking forward to both of these! The new Barbieheimer is ChickenMigrationRun!

On 05/09/2023 at 4:11 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm a big fan of the score, too, and while I have no idea how much of it is Powell and how much HGW, I've never heard another HGW score that had me excited.

This was posted in the John Powell thread. Seems that Chicken Run was mostly JP.

It will be interesting if HGW goes in his own direction now that he has full control or if he relies a lot on the original material. Maybe will get a lot of the Powell stuff, but in HGW´s style.

• 2 months later...

I'm really exited for the score by HGW! It's a shame that he didn't do Equalizer 3 and Napoleon but at least we have this one to look forward to! If Zimmer doesn't do Gladiator 2 (fingers crossed), then I hope HGW gets the gig as his collaborations with Ridley are always interesting.

There is a moment in the trailer which sounds like it could be from the score (if so, it sounds terrific!)

From 0:41 to 0:56.

It also could just be some trailerorchestral stuff but I'm holding out hope

11 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

If Zimmer doesn't do Gladiator 2 (fingers crossed)

Woah! Why wouldn't Zimmer do GLADIATOR 2?? It's one of his and Lisa Gerrard's best scores, and it was a huge success. Scott would be a fool not to ask them to do G2. Other than scheduling conflicts I don't see any reason why Hans and Lisa wouldn't and shouldn't return. 

And it's a damn shame Powell didn't come back for Chicken Run 2. 

13 hours ago, JTW said:

Woah! Why wouldn't Zimmer do GLADIATOR 2?? It's one of his and Lisa Gerrard's best scores, and it was a huge success. Scott would be a fool not to ask them to do G2. Other than scheduling conflicts I don't see any reason why Hans and Lisa wouldn't and shouldn't return. 

And it's a damn shame Powell didn't come back for Chicken Run 2. 

Zimmer hasn’t worked with Ridley since Matchstick Men, and their Kingdom of Heaven colab fell apart 1 cue in… I think they just stopped enjoying working together.

11 hours ago, mstrox said:

Ridley Scott seems like the kind of director who would pick a composer he wants to work on the score with today, and not based on the legacy of previous movies in a series.

But he hasn’t returned as a director to any of his classic films (alas he couldn’t hire Jerry Goldsmith when making PROMETHEUS).

GLADIATOR became one of his greatest successes, earning him a Best Picture Oscar. Why wouldn’t he want to work again with the composer who wrote the score to that film, who he’s since worked together on Blade Runner 2049, who’s a 2-time Oscar winner and the most popular film composer? 

2 hours ago, Stark said:

I think they just stopped enjoying working together.

I don’t think so. They didn’t seem to have any problem working together on BD 2049, even if Scott was only producer. Let’s see what happens, but I wouldn’t close them working together out just yet. GLADIATOR in a sense is just as much Zimmer’s baby as it is Scott’s.

3 hours ago, JTW said:

I don’t think so. They didn’t seem to have any problem working together on BD 2049, even if Scott was only producer. Let’s see what happens, but I wouldn’t close them working together out just yet. GLADIATOR in a sense is just as much Zimmer’s baby as it is Scott’s.

Well, with how much Scott has continued to complain about aspects of 2049 in the years since its release, that heavily suggests to me that his involvement wasn't quite that high (especially if he had to step away from the director's chair to do Alien Covenant in the first place). The most that's been said about him contributing to the movie is uncredited involvement with the script, which still could be far away from the production itself these days. Otherwise, everything points to Villeneuve making the shot to hire and work with HZ (even if I suspect it likely was a WB mandate)

Given how infamous the treatment of the music for Alien and Legend is (plus the way the score for the original BR was assembled in-film), it is far more reasonable to assume that Ridley just tends to get way too picky about the music in his movies. We already have reports about Napoleon diminishing the original score in some manner, so I figure that with KoH not going great that HZ just didn't want to waste his time with someone who hadn't changed one bit since he initially worked with him on Black Rain (whose climactic track was utterly torn to shreds in the final edit).

Having just said that, despite what happened on Alien, Scott has been pretty keen on allowing quotes of the original Goldsmith theme that pretty much got buried in the final edit of the original film. So if he's fairly well aware of how crucial that musical DNA was for those movies, then he definitely would want to maintain the sound of the previous Gladiator film in some form. I just don't think that'll happen by bringing back HZ for the sequel, since he could easily get someone else to just quote it when he feels like it.

And yet Zimmer did decide to have a cameo in a Lego fan thing someone did, so perhaps I could be surprised in this situation.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Man that holst joke is so old! In the same vein, Chris Colombus should go to Tchaikovsky, Peter Jackson should go to Bruckner… the list is so long…🤣

And James Cameron should go to Enya for his epic about the sinking of a boat :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is the music in this BTS clip from the actual score?

The sound does belong to Chicken Run’s world, especially the one that starts at seconds 9.

But it also sounds too old-school/british it becomes borderline stock music.

But if that music is truly from the movie, then we’re going to have a neck and neck result from Battle of The Birds between this and Powell’s Migration.

(Edit = the music that starts at 9:35 is certainly from the movie)

1 hour ago, PrayodiBA said:

But it also sounds too old-school/british it becomes borderline stock music.

Correct :) Several pieces later on are from different libraries, so only the music in the film clips is HGW.

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Correct :) Several pieces later on are from different libraries, so only the music in the film clips is HGW.

Thank you for clarifying and got the time to find this!

Pity, that tune has that kind of Powell-ism fits to Chicken Run