The Hans Zimmer Thead

Jay

10 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

mongst his truly great works he's done a lot of absolute garbage. Every composer has,

John Williams hasn't delivered a garbage score in his whole career. Neither has Erich-Wolfgang Korngold nor has Miklós Rózsa and there are more.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

John Williams hasn't delivered a garbage score in his whole career. Neither has Erich-Wolfgang Korngold nor has Miklós Rózsa and there are more.

You’ve seen every film John Williams has scored?

Williams lesser scores tend to be boring, not garbage, but then i find that label inappropriate, even for JNH paycheck jobs. I'd reserve that term for a good handful of guys that only started in the business in the early 2000's - where there's no remotely musical quality to be found in a succession of scores (not naming names here).

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

You’ve seen every film John Williams has scored?

No. But I didn't say, Williams never scored a garbage movie. I said, He never delivered a garbage score.

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

I dunno... Some of his earlier scores aren't that great.

So, everything that isn't great is garbage?

You really must have had a hard time in cinemas for the past 20 years.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

You really must have had a hard time in cinemas for the past 20 years.

For sure. Haven't you seen all the superhero garbage that's come out in the last 20 years or so?

9 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

No. But I didn't say, Williams never scored a garbage movie. I said, He never delivered a garbage score.

Well you can’t properly judge a film score without seeing the film it was written for. 

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Well you can’t properly judge a film score without seeing the film it was written for. 

OK, let's stop theorizing. Tell me please, what are John Williams' garbage scores? Those, that are really that bad, that they are just good enough for the garbage can.

24 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

OK, let's stop theorizing. Tell me please, what are John Williams' garbage scores? Those, that are really that bad, that they are just good enough for the garbage can.

None. At least, none that I have heard. Even if I don't like a score (and I would never presume to be the final arbiter on any piece of music) I know that it has merit.

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

None. At least, none that I have heard. Even if I don't like a score (and I would never presume to be the final arbiter on any piece of music) I know that it has merit.

My point.

Thanks.

Nah, it's a nice score. Having said that, it must have been a bit of a letdown for everyone to hear something as subdued as Stepmom and Saving Private Ryan following the magnificent 1997.

Karol

On 25/4/2022 at 1:32 AM, GerateWohl said:

I could do without John Goldfarb, Please Come Home!

On 25/04/2022 at 7:47 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Stepmom.

But even that score has cues like The Days Between. Hardly garbage! Just not another Jurassic Park.

The lower-tier Williams scores are things like Sleepers, Presumed Innocent, SpaceCamp, Heartbeeps and most things pre-Towering Inferno. (Jayne Eyre and The Cowboys are great though).

But to get back on track - has anyone listened to The Survivor? Any cues worth adding to my Zimmer playlist?

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's a great score.

Guess what? That's your opinion. And what I posted was my opinon. And neither of them are wrong! And neither of them are right!

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Probably not.

But this, you probably are right on.  :D

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I didn't know where to post this. Apparently Hans Zimmer is reading posts at facebook.

There was a whole big thread here a while ago about about of Hans Zimmer's posts on Facebook.  I'm surprised you missed it!

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

There was a whole big thread here a while ago about about of Hans Zimmer's posts on Facebook.  I'm surprised you missed it!

Was? You mean it's deleted?

No the conversation is still here.  Nothing gets deleted here

I'd look for it but with the slowness issues it's too difficult right now

Zimmer does have a point though. If it's indeed the "fellow composers" who vote for the Academy, how come these professional musicians are giving awards and nominations to shit scores like All Quiet and Dunkirk while completely ignoring the actual best scores of the year?

OTOH, Zimmer has already shown he has actually a horrible musical taste and championed crap scores again and again on social media. Of course the guy who thinks Lorne Balfe is a genius will like something like All Quiet.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I'd look for it but with the slowness issues it's too difficult right now

I'm NOT imagining it.

Wow. I'm thinking I'm going to have to see this movie just so I can hate the score.

I loved Dunkirk and the closest I got to walking out of a movie because of the score was Robocop 2. (And I'm not a Rosenman hater.)

• 1 month later...

As someone who loves the first programme more than the Live concerts, I am glad a new one is finally coming:

Powerful. Beautiful. Dramatic. Breathtaking. Strong. Touching. This is the music of two-time Academy Award® winner Hans Zimmer. In 2024, his successful show The World of Hans Zimmer will receive a new musical programme and thus advance to an international concert series at the same time. The new subtitle “A New Dimension” already hints at this: Hans Zimmer is arranging a brand-new selection from his tremendously diverse collection of scores for The World of Hans Zimmer – A New Dimension. The audience will be taken on a unique musical journey that will immerse them in completely new dimensions.

https://www.worldofhanszimmer.com/the-world-of-hans-zimmer-a-new-dimension/

On 15/03/2023 at 5:17 PM, Edmilson said:

Zimmer does have a point though. If it's indeed the "fellow composers" who vote for the Academy, how come these professional musicians are giving awards and nominations to shit scores like All Quiet and Dunkirk while completely ignoring the actual best scores of the year?

OTOH, Zimmer has already shown he has actually a horrible musical taste and championed crap scores again and again on social media. Of course the guy who thinks Lorne Balfe is a genius will like something like All Quiet.

I think All Quiet was a terrible score. Dunkirk was good but also unnecessary. But as for your question, I shuddered just thinking how bad is it the other way around. Because when you said "actual best scores of the year" I think you meant "best orchestral, symphonic album of the year." I hate to say this, but if the Academy frequently gets the best scores incorrectly, forums like JW doesn't care about film scoring at all. Most of us nominate scores for best of the year without ever seeing the film. 

• 1 month later...