THE LOST WORLD (1997) - 2023 2-CD expanded reissue from La-La Land Records now available!

Jay

2 hours ago, Bayesian said:

So, @Justanothercrow421, I read not too long ago that they, um, discovered the Mondo JP vinyl gives off, like, a bunch of radon and it's really not safe to hang onto it. Luckily, I'm trained in the disposal of hazardous products like these and I'd be willing to take it off your hands.

It'd be better if you let me take care of that LP. Let me do at least that much for you.

Thanks for the warning; you’re too kind! 😂 I wish it was one of the nifty color variants but they had sold out when I bought this on its initial run, so I was stuck with black. One of my favorites! A repress (with less radon I hear!) is supposedly in the works! 😉

10 hours ago, Justanothercrow421 said:

Thanks for the warning; you’re too kind! 😂 I wish it was one of the nifty color variants but they had sold out when I bought this on its initial run, so I was stuck with black. One of my favorites! A repress (with less radon I hear!) is supposedly in the works! 😉

That would be so great if mondo released another run. I wouldn’t have to resort to ham-fisted chicanery to get a copy!

All are the spectrograms correct? (No accidental cutoffs in certain tracks) 

and is corporate choppers a little more separate from the previous cue or are they still mixed together?

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

and is corporate choppers a little more separate from the previous cue or are they still mixed together?

They are perfectly combined on the 2016 edition, in my opinion.

I dont mind them being the same track but the crossfading between the two i dont like because the two scenes are separate by minutes of silence….

on the other hand i dont mind the mix of the falling car and the t rex chase as they play back to back in the film. And i think they can still be separated satisfyingly if someone wants

Got mine delivered today!  Just put in disc 2 and unfortunately one of the plastic "teeth" on the backside snapped off so now the disc will be loose in the case unless I have another set I can cannibalize.  

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

As far as I can tell, it's exactly the same. 

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

They are perfectly combined on the 2016 edition, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I dont mind them being the same track but the crossfading between the two i dont like because the two scenes are separate by minutes of silence….

on the other hand i dont mind the mix of the falling car and the t rex chase as they play back to back in the film. And i think they can still be separated satisfyingly if someone wants

There's a tiny gap between the cues. I think what I'll do when the new set arrives, I'll cut it and then add some reverb so it fades out nicely. Before, I think I just cut it and faded it real quick but with a little reverb at the end it'll fade out nicer. For whatever reason, the timestamp didn't copy over, but the little spot you're asking about is at 0:52.

That’s what I figured, but didn’t want to seem rude if I emailed them about it when a hundred other people who ordered at the same time hadn’t shipped either. Seems that’s not the case

Do we think the lack of teeth on the spine is a little easter egg or a genuine balls-up? ROTFLMAO

Any musical first impressions from those who've received it?

How different are the three alternate cues, and what's going on in the main part of Ripples? Is it the same as it sounds in the film?

I'm so tempted to just order this (I've rebought at least one far less important score in the past) but I'm holding back a bit to see what the consensus is.

I’m curious to know if the sound on Rescuing Sarah has been improved when the unreleased material kicks in. The material sounded like it came from a different source. 

A few thoughts:

Ripples sounds like what's heard in the film with that long, slow build-up. I'm very curious now to read some liner notes to understand where this came from.

Rescuing Sarah alternate is pretty much what's in the samples for the first half or so, and a different, less refined take of the ending bit. I really like it.

The other two alternates seem to be the same orchestral backing with slightly different, possibly a tad less prominent percussion.

And the burning question (which again, I hope the notes may address): did Williams veto these first time around or was it just decided not to include them? The other thing I noticed was that the transtion at 1:03 in the title track feels a little odd in the box, like an edit has been done not 100% right, whereas this one feels a tad smoother. Not detecting a lot of other quality differences but it seems like this set presents the best possible version overall.

4 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Compsognathidae had very small teeth.

Compsognathidae.jpg

Compsognathidae - Wikipedia

I thought they were velociraptors…

but there are teeth in the photos, the red background makes it hard to see them, right?

Looks like I’ll have to wait until LLL restocks. Plus I’m out at work for another 5-6 weeks. 

I’ll probably end up grabbing this and the JP release. 

MV says

Just to give you all a heads up -- Lost World blew out the door quicker than anticipated. It's currently out of stock, but more copies are on the way. We hope to have it back in stock first week of September. In the meantime, if you ordered it from the La La Land website, your order has been shipped or is in the process of being shipped.

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=151816&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=473#bottom

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Finally had a little free time to create my cover avatar. I used the original TLW novel cover as inspiration, like the JP 2cd set had from the novel.

Nice! I was honestly expecting Jim's TLW cover to be white, and was surprised when it was red!  Can you post a large version?

Anyone else think TLW should've been some sort of blue-ish so that JP3 could be red? (making a rather big assumption there of course... one is going to be somewhat grumpy if the franchise isn't... completed)

I've kept the designs from the box as I just like them better anyway.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Nice! I was honestly expecting Jim's TLW cover to be white, and was surprised when it was red!  Can you post a large version?

Its very ugly… as it is unprofessional, rushed and many cheap cut and paste portions in adobe… and i put it in black and white and later i noticed jurassic park logo has red… but i couldnt undo it

Do you want it to use it? Or just see it a little bigger? I think if you click on my avatar or profile you can se it big enough if you only want to see it bigger than the tiny avatar.

12 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Am I crazy or was the 2016 edition more reverby?

No, this is definitely drier.

Listening to the alternates is so wild, the percussion is so much milder that it's almost like getting an orchestra only version of The Raptors Appear and Rescuing Sarah. Particularly in The Raptors Appear, where at one point the timpani is muted entirely for more than a minute.

11 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Fun movie but I didn't know they had songs from it?

Of course! Tres Dias by Mariachi Los Camperos de Nati Cano

9 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

What is the story behind Ripples (Film Version)?

The version edited together in the film is significantly different than what was recorded. I won't have the time to listen to it until Saturday, but I assume the liner notes go over this track?

Yeah, it says “editorially created film version.” To be honest, it is obvious this was editorially created; it does not flow well, especially in contrast to how the music was composed and conducted by the Maestro. It just sounds weird, where as how it was composed and conducted is just perfect. I have to ask. Why include this if it was editorially created? The sound quality in the edited sections is evidently different from the rest. It’s not like Tranquilizer Dart and End Credits (Film Version).

14 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Yeah, it says “editorially created film version.” To be honest, it is obvious this was editorially created; it does not flow well, especially in contrast to how the music was composed and conducted by the Maestro. It just sounds weird, where as how it was composed and conducted is just perfect. I have to ask. Why include this if it was editorially created? The sound quality in the edited sections is evidently different from the rest. It’s not like Tranquilizer Dart and End Credits (Film Version).

@Richard Penna can answer this one

31 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

The edits are so weirdly specific and buried under sound effects that it's very hard to recreate it properly and there's a synth chord that loops throughout the latter part that either was not previously released or was not previously released independent from the rest of the orchestra, making it impossible to properly recreate without ripping it. 

9 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Yeah, it says “editorially created film version.” To be honest, it is obvious this was editorially created; it does not flow well, especially in contrast to how the music was composed and conducted by the Maestro. It just sounds weird, where as how it was composed and conducted is just perfect. I have to ask. Why include this if it was editorially created?

It certainly goes against the mantra of sticking to composer intentions but in this case it's not possible to hear what's in the film using the box, so MM has recreated it for us as it's so different. Some may (and in this case do) want it, so what's the harm in including it?

I think it works far better than JW's original cue, which add layers and synth/brass before the scene is ready for it. I also don't think it's obvious at all it was editorically created.

Dunno if we will have Mike Matessino chime in about this new release. He seems quite busy. Havent' see him across the internet around these days.