Rodgers & Hammerstein's THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965) - 2023 Deluxe Edition remixed and remastered by Mike Matessino

Jay

This is a fantastic film and great soundtrack!  I once bumped in to Dame Julie Andrews coming out of the bathroom of all places (after an LA Phil concert).  She was stunning and probably around 75 years old and looked pristine as always.  Aside from the songs, the underscore is really terrific conducted by Irwin Kostal who also did the rerecording of Fantasia.  I think I might have to get this.

No doubt a great set for fans of the musical. I wonder what something that will cost (both the item and with overseas shipping included). Not that it's for me or anything, but I sometimes like to google at insanely high prices of stuff. :)

I'll probably get the super deluxe edition; there really hasn't been a satisfactory release of the soundtrack on CD until now.  It's been a long time since I last played it, but the very first issue sounded muddy, like someone amped Dolby noise reduction to the max to the point where the music didn't breathe and had no clarity, almost like hearing something while suffering from bad cold and stuffed up ears.   

Every five years when a "new" anniversary edition is released, it sounded no better than the previous incarnations.  The new/bonus tracks on those had no bearing to the original, i.e., contemporary cover versions of the most popular songs.   (Didn't buy all of these releases, just sayin'. ;))  I do have that limited two-disc edition 35th anniversary from a few years back that contained some more underscore than the single CD version, but that wasn't as good as it could have been.

Glad a definitive edition is finally coming out!

Craft Recordings Celebrates the Enduring Legacy of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinematic Treasure The Sound of Music With a Definitive, Super Deluxe Edition of Its Beloved Soundtrack

image.png

Craft Recordings proudly celebrates Robert Wise’s film version of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s timeless masterpiece, The Sound of Music, with multiple expanded, remixed and remastered reissues of the Julie Andrews-led musical’s beloved—and immensely successful—soundtrack. Featuring such iconic classics as “My Favorite Things,” “Do-Re-Mi,” “The Sound of Music” and “Edelweiss,” the 1965 film was an Academy Award®-winning blockbuster, while its album broke numerous chart records and, today, remains one of the world’s best-selling soundtracks of all time.

Set for release on December 1 and available for pre-order now, The Sound of Music can be found in a variety of formats, including a Super Deluxe Edition (4-CD/1-Blu-Ray Audio box set and digital). With well over 40 previously unreleased tracks, this definitive set collects every musical element from the film for the very first time, along with instrumentals of each song, plus 11 never-before-heard alternate takes, including rare performances from the cast. The accompanying Blu-Ray Audio disc features the full score in hi-res audio as well as a new Dolby Atmos® mix of the original 16-track soundtrack for the ultimate immersive listening experience.

Rounding out the box set are new, in-depth liner notes by the acclaimed writer, preservationist, and Robert Wise associate Mike Matessino, who also remixed and remastered the album from the original multi-track tapes. In his detailed essay, which delves deep into the making of the film and all of its music, Matessino writes, “You will hear what you’ve heard before, famous songs with the mellifluous tones of Dame Julie Andrews leading the way, but the experience has been transformed beyond what the 1965 soundtrack album offered—with extensions to the songs, a brilliantly arranged underscore, and even some segments not used in the completed version of the film.”

Fans can also find the album on Deluxe 2-CD and 3-LP triple-gatefold formats, which include the film’s full score. In addition to the wide vinyl release, a special “Picnic Meadow Green” color pressing (limited to 500 worldwide) will be available exclusively via CraftRecordings.com.

The classic 16-track 1965 album will also be released (with newly remixed and remastered audio) on standard and HD digital and Dolby Atmos, as well as several international versions (Spanish, German, French and Italian) available on standard digital. Available to stream/download today is a never-before-released alternate version of the film’s iconic opening track “Prelude / The Sound of Music” featuring Julie Andrews and cast, available along with the newly remastered original soundtrack version of the song. Listen to the single and pre-save the album now.

One of the most enduring and successful musicals of all time, The Sound of Music was based on the memoir of Maria von Trapp: a young Austrian postulant who became the governess—and later stepmother—to the seven children of a widowed naval commander, all while the country was falling under Nazi occupation. In 1959, their story was adapted for the stage, with music by the era-defining songwriting team of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II (Oklahoma!, South Pacific, Carousel). While the production marked the final collaboration of their highly influential careers (Hammerstein succumbed to cancer months after the show’s premiere), it was by far their most successful—leading to a 1965 film produced at 20th Century Fox that starred Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer.

Helmed by director Robert Wise (West Side Story, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Haunting) and screenwriter Ernest Lehman (The King and I, West Side Story, North by Northwest), The Sound of Music incorporated the majority of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s now-classic songs from the stage musical (including “Edelweiss,” “My Favorite Things,” “Do-Re-Mi” and, of course, the title track), while Rodgers was enlisted to write the music and lyrics to two new songs: “I Have Confidence” and “Something Good.” Bringing his music to life was the Academy Award-winning arranger and conductor Irwin Kostal, who also created the underscore, building upon the original stage arrangements by Robert Russell Bennett and Trude Rittman.

The Sound of Music opened in March 1965, breaking multiple box office records, selling out in movie theaters for over a year, while its extended original run continued until December 1969. Among other honors, The Sound of Music earned five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Score in 1966. Its soundtrack, meanwhile, had an equally awe-inspiring journey: topping the Billboard 200, holding steady in the Top 10 for an astounding 109 weeks and remaining on the chart for more than four-and-a-half years. Fifty years later, Billboard named it as the second-best charting album of all time.

Across the Atlantic, The Sound of Music spent a whopping 70 weeks atop the UK album charts and was ranked as the best-selling album of 1965, 1966 and 1968. It was later named the second-best-selling album of the decade (behind the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band). In 2018, the album was added to the Library of Congress’s National Recording Registry, and today The Sound of Music is counted among the most successful soundtracks ever, with more than 25 million copies sold worldwide.

There’s no question that The Sound of Music (the film) remains a multi-generational masterpiece, but it can certainly be argued that its music—now ingrained in the collective consciousness—has had an even broader reach, transcending borders and time. And now, finally, fans can appreciate all of the music from the film, fully restored, more than half a century after The Sound of Music’s release. In addition to instrumental versions of every song are Kostal’s emotionally charged cues, which blend melodies from the musical’s well-known songs. “What Kostal did, using some of the stage version’s transitional music as a launching point, was treat the Rodgers song melodies as leitmotifs,” explains Matessino. What this means is that he applied “recognizable melodies to specific characters or story elements, which may reappear and intertwine as a narrative progresses.”

Among the previously unreleased highlights is “The Little Dears,” which combines “I Have Confidence” and “My Favorite Things,” and plays as the first cue after Maria meets the von Trapp children. “New Governess,” which was ultimately not used in the film, is also a play on these two songs. The first extended piece of underscore, “The Gazebo,” follows Liesl to her rendezvous with a messenger boy, Rolf, and (as listeners may recognize) leads into “Sixteen Going on Seventeen.” One of the more significant cues is “The Captain Apologizes,” which bolsters the moment when the Captain first hears his children sing “The Sound of Music.” The cue features elements of the aforementioned song, plus “My Favorite Things” and “Edelweiss”—all of which represent the Captain and Maria. In Act II, one of the film’s most dramatic moments is punctuated by the strings-based “Unthinkable,” which blends melodies from “Edelweiss” and “Something Good,” as the Captain makes the heartbreaking decision that he and his family must flee their country, amid the rise of the Nazis.

Beyond the album’s instrumental additions, this expanded release also offers fans a rare opportunity to glimpse behind the scenes. One of the most interesting elements, Matessino writes, is that “The Sound of Music provides a window into the arcane world of voice doubles for screen musicals. It was a subject considered verboten until the whiskered kittens started to be let out of the brown paper packages in early 1964.” A prime example of this comes from the classically trained singer Marni Nixon—whose voice can be heard in films like West Side Story (performing songs as Natalie Wood) and My Fair Lady (singing for Audrey Hepburn). Cast as Sister Sophia in The Sound of Music, Nixon also spent quite a bit of time in the recording booth during the early days of production, performing (among other songs) a demo of Rodgers’ new song “I Have Confidence.”

Another intriguing addition comes from a selection of “playback” recordings, which were given to actors for lip-synch matching. “On set, the tracks were played over speakers as the cameras rolled, with the actors singing to their own recordings,” explains Matessino. “The songs would then be enhanced for the finished film, months later, with sound effects and dialogue added as needed. In some cases, the vocals and orchestra recordings remain unchanged, while in other instances one, the other, or both might be altered entirely. There are also occasions where small sections were tweaked after filming. Careful listeners, and especially those intimately familiar with the original album and film, will enjoy detecting these variations.”

Together, all of this incredible music offers a full, sonic picture of The Sound of Music, allowing fans to find an even greater appreciation for the film’s soundtrack and score. Throughout, Matessino’s attention to detail cannot be understated—from his meticulous audio restoration and his thoughtful assemblage of the music to his fascinating liner notes. What is most apparent, however, is his adoration for this classic musical. “Every mountain was indeed climbed for this endeavor, but the view from the top has made it all worth it,” he writes. “Producing and assembling this release is something I considered a sacred duty, but it was also a thoroughly satisfying and joyful experience for which I will remain very proud and very grateful, mainly because it can now be shared with all of you.”

Click here to pre-order or pre-save all versions of The Sound of Music

Track Listings:

* indicates previously unreleased.

The Sound of Music (Super Deluxe Edition) (4-CD/1-Blu-Ray)

Disc 1

1. Prelude and The Sound of Music (Film Version)

2. Overture

3. Preludium (Dixit Dominus)

4. Morning Hymn and Alleluia

5. Maria (Film Version)

6. I Have Confidence (Film Version)

7. The Little Dears*

8. The Gazebo*

9. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Film Version)

10. New Governess*

11. My Favorite Things (Part 1)

12. My Favorite Things (Part 2) and Salzburg Montage

13. Do-Re-Mi

14. Alleluia (Reprise)*

15. You Must Help It*

16. The Sound of Music (Reprise) (Film Version)

17. The Captain Apologizes*

18. The Lonely Goatherd

19. Edelweiss (Duet)

20. Grand Waltz

21. The Laendler

22. So Long, Farewell (Film Version)

23. Processional Waltz

24. Goodbye, Maria (How Can Love Survive?)

25. Edelweiss Waltz (Act I Finale)

Disc 2

1. Entr’acte

2. The Sound of Music (Fragment)*

3. Children to the Abbey*

4. Morning Hymn (Organ)*

5. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Film Version)

6. My Favorite Things (Reprise)

7. Nocturne – Captain and Elsa*

8. Nocturne – Captain and Maria*

9. Something Good (Film Version)

10. Processional and Maria (Film Version)

11. The Laendler (Quintet)*

12. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise)

13. Unthinkable*

14. Do-Re-Mi (Festival Reprise)

15. Edelweiss (Festival Reprise)

16. So Long, Farewell (Festival Reprise)

17. The Awards Fanfare*

18. Nuns and Nazis

19. Escape

20. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Reprise)

21. End Cast

22. Richard Rodgers Speaks

23. Robert Wise Interview

24. Richard Rodgers Interview

25. Charmian Carr Interview

Disc 3

1. Prelude and The Sound of Music (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

2. Overture and Preludium (Dixit Dominus) (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

3. Morning Hymn and Alleluia (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

4. Maria (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

5. I Have Confidence (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

6. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

7. My Favorite Things (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

8. Do-Re-Mi (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

9. The Sound of Music (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

10. The Lonely Goatherd (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

11. So Long, Farewell (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

12. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

13. Something Good (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

14. Processional and Maria (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

15. Edelweiss (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

16. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Reprise) (1965 Original Soundtrack Version)

17. I Have Confidence (Demo Version)*

18. Salzburg Montage (Discrete Version)

19. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise) (Film Version)

20. Edelweiss (Without Chorus)

Disc 4

1. Prelude and The Sound of Music (Alternate Version)*

2. I Have Confidence (Alternate Version)*

3. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Alternate Version)*

4. My Favorite Things (Alternate Version)*

5. The Sound of Music (Reprise) (Alternate Version)*

6. Edelweiss (Duet) (Alternate Version)*

7. The Laendler (Alternate Version)*

8. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Alternate Version)*

9. My Favorite Things (Reprise) (Alternate Version)*

10. Something Good (Alternate Version)*

11. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise) (Alternate Version)*

12. The Sound of Music (Reprise) (Instrumental Version)

13. Maria (Instrumental Version)*

14. I Have Confidence (Instrumental Version)*

15. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Instrumental Version)*

16. My Favorite Things (Instrumental Version)

17. Do-Re-Mi (Instrumental Version)

18. The Sound of Music (Instrumental Version)*

19. The Lonely Goatherd (Instrumental Version)*

20. Edelweiss (Duet) (Instrumental Version)*

21. So Long, Farewell (Instrumental Version)*

22. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Instrumental Version)*

23. Something Good (Instrumental Version)*

24. Processional and Maria (Part 1) (Instrumental Version)*

25. Processional and Maria (Part 2) (Instrumental Version)*

26. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise) (Instrumental Version)*

27. Do-Re-Mi (Festival Reprise) (Instrumental Version)*

28. Edelweiss (Festival Reprise) (Instrumental Version)

29. So Long, Farewell (Festival Reprise) (Instrumental Version)*

30. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Reprise) (Instrumental Version)*

Disc 5 (BLU-RAY AUDIO)

1. Prelude and The Sound of Music (Film Version) – 96/24 Stereo

2. Overture – 96/24 Stereo

3. Preludium (Dixit Dominus) – 96/24 Stereo

4. Morning Hymn and Alleluia – 96/24 Stereo

5. Maria (Film Version) – 96/24 Stereo

6. I Have Confidence (Film Version) – 96/24 Stereo

7. The Little Dears – 96/24 Stereo

8. The Gazebo – 96/24 Stereo

9. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Film Version) – 96/24 Stereo

10. New Governess – 96/24 Stereo

11. My Favorite Things (Part 1) – 96/24 Stereo

12. My Favorite Things (Part 2) and Salzburg Montage – 96/24 Stereo

13. Do-Re-Mi – 96/24 Stereo

14. Alleluia (Reprise) – 96/24 Stereo

15. You Must Help It – 96/24 Stereo

16. The Sound of Music (Reprise) (Film Version) – 96/24 Stereo

17. The Captain Apologizes – 96/24 Stereo

18. The Lonely Goatherd – 96/24 Stereo

19. Edelweiss (Duet) – 96/24 Stereo

20. Grand Waltz – 96/24 Stereo

21. The Laendler – 96/24 Stereo

22. So Long, Farewell – 96/24 Stereo

23. Processional Waltz – 96/24 Stereo

24. Goodbye, Maria (How Can Love Survive?) – 96/24 Stereo

25. Edelweiss Waltz (Act I Finale) – 96/24 Stereo

26. Entr’acte – 96/24 Stereo

27. The Sound of Music (Fragment) – 96/24 Stereo

28. Children to the Abbey – 96/24 Stereo

29. Morning Hymn (Organ) – 96/24 Stereo

30. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Film Version) – 96/24 Stereo

31. My Favorite Things (Reprise) – 96/24 Stereo

32. Nocturne – Captain and Elsa – 96/24 Stereo

33. Nocturne – Captain and Maria – 96/24 Stereo

34. Something Good (Film Version) – 96/24 Stereo

35. Processional and Maria (Film Version) – 96/24 Stereo

36. The Laendler (Quintet) – 96/24 Stereo

37. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise) – 96/24 Stereo

38. Unthinkable – 96/24 Stereo

39. Do-Re-Mi (Festival Reprise) – 96/24 Stereo

40. Edelweiss (Festival Reprise) – 96/24 Stereo

41. So Long, Farewell (Festival Reprise) – 96/24 Stereo

42. The Awards Fanfare – 96/24 Stereo

43. Nuns and Nazis – 96/24 Stereo

44. Escape – 96/24 Stereo

45. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Reprise) – 96/24 Stereo

46. End Cast – 96/24 Stereo

Disc 5 continued (BLU-RAY AUDIO)

1. Prelude and The Sound of Music (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

2. Overture and Preludium (Dixit Dominus) (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

3. Morning Hymn and Alleluia (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

4. Maria (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

5. I Have Confidence (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

6. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

7. My Favorite Things (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

8. Do-Re-Mi (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

9. The Sound of Music (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

10. The Lonely Goatherd (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

11. So Long, Farewell (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

12. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

13. Something Good (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

14. Processional and Maria (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

15. Edelweiss (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

16. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Reprise) (1965 Original Soundtrack Version – 96/24 Stereo and Dolby Atmos Mixes)

The Sound of Music (Deluxe Edition) (2-CD)

Disc 1

2. Overture

5. Maria (Film Version)

7. The Little Dears*

8. The Gazebo*

10. New Governess*

13. Do-Re-Mi

14. Alleluia (Reprise)*

15. You Must Help It*

18. The Lonely Goatherd

19. Edelweiss (Duet)

20. Grand Waltz

21. The Laendler

22. So Long, Farewell

23. Processional Waltz

Disc 2

1. Entr’acte

2. The Sound of Music (Fragment)*

3. Children to the Abbey*

4. Morning Hymn (Organ)*

5. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Film Version)

6. My Favorite Things (Reprise)*

7. Nocturne – Captain and Elsa*

8. Nocturne – Captain and Maria*

9. Something Good (Film Version)

10. Processional and Maria (Film Version)

11. The Laendler (Quintet)*

12. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise)

13. Unthinkable*

14. Do-Re-Mi (Festival Reprise)

15. Edelweiss (Festival Reprise)

16. So Long, Farewell (Festival Reprise)

17. The Awards Fanfare*

18. Nuns and Nazis

19. Escape

20. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Reprise)

21. End Cast

The Sound of Music (Deluxe Edition) (Vinyl)

Disc 1 / Side A

2. Overture

5. Maria (Film Version)

7. The Little Dears*

Disc 1 / Side B

1. The Gazebo*

2. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Film Version)

3. New Governess*

4. My Favorite Things (Part 1)

5. My Favorite Things (Part 2) and Salzburg Montage

6. Do-Re-Mi

Disc 2 / Side C

1. Alleluia (Reprise)*

2. You Must Help It*

3. The Sound of Music (Reprise) (Film Version)

4. The Captain Apologizes*

5. The Lonely Goatherd

6. Edelweiss (Duet)

7. Grand Waltz

8. The Laendler

Disc 2 / Side D

1. So Long, Farewell (Film Version)

2. Processional Waltz

3. Goodbye, Maria (How Can Love Survive?)

4. Edelweiss Waltz (Act I Finale)

5. Entr’acte

6. The Sound of Music (Fragment)*

7. Children to the Abbey*

8. Morning Hymn (Organ)*

9. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Film Version)

Disc 3 / Side E

1. My Favorite Things (Reprise)*

2. Nocturne – Captain and Elsa*

3. Nocturne – Captain and Maria*

4. Something Good (Film Version)

5. Processional and Maria (Film Version)

Disc 3 / Side F

1. The Laendler (Quintet)*

2. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise)

3. Unthinkable*

4. Do-Re-Mi (Festival Reprise)

5. Edelweiss (Festival Reprise)

6. So Long, Farewell (Festival Reprise)

7. The Awards Fanfare*

8. Nuns and Nazis

9. Escape

10. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Reprise)

11. End Cast

The Sound of Music (Super Deluxe Edition) (Digital)

2. Overture

5. Maria (Film Version)

7. The Little Dears*

8. The Gazebo*

10. New Governess*

13. Do-Re-Mi

14. Alleluia (Reprise)*

15. You Must Help It*

18. The Lonely Goatherd

19. Edelweiss (Duet)

20. Grand Waltz

21. The Laendler

22. So Long, Farewell (Film Version)

23. Processional Waltz

26. Entr’acte

27. The Sound of Music (Fragment)*

28. Children to the Abbey*

29. Morning Hymn (Organ)*

30. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Film Version)

31. My Favorite Things (Reprise)*

32. Nocturne – Captain and Elsa*

33. Nocturne – Captain and Maria*

34. Something Good (Film Version)

35. Processional and Maria (Film Version)

36. The Laendler (Quintet)*

37. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise)

38. Unthinkable*

39. Do-Re-Mi (Festival Reprise)

40. Edelweiss (Festival Reprise)

41. So Long, Farewell (Festival Reprise)

42. The Awards Fanfare*

43. Nuns and Nazis

44. Escape

45. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Reprise)

46. End Cast

47. Richard Rodgers Speaks

48. Robert Wise Interview

49. Richard Rodgers Interview

50. Charmian Carr Interview

51. I Have Confidence (Demo Version)*

52. Salzburg Montage (Discrete Version)

53. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise) (Film Version)

54. Edelweiss (Without Chorus)

55. Prelude and The Sound of Music (Alternate Version)*

56. I Have Confidence (Alternate Version)*

57. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Alternate Version)*

58. My Favorite Things (Alternate Version)*

59. The Sound of Music (Reprise) (Alternate Version)*

60. Edelweiss (Duet) (Alternate Version)*

61. The Laendler (Alternate Version)*

62. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Alternate Version)*

63. My Favorite Things (Reprise) (Alternate Version)*

64. Something Good (Alternate Version)*

65. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise) (Alternate Version)*

66. The Sound of Music (Instrumental Version)

67. Maria (Instrumental Version)*

68. I Have Confidence (Instrumental Version)*

69. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Instrumental Version)*

70. My Favorite Things (Instrumental Version)

71. Do-Re-Mi (Instrumental Version)

72. The Sound of Music (Reprise) (Instrumental Version)

73. The Lonely Goatherd (Instrumental Version)*

74. Edelweiss (Duet) (Instrumental Version)*

75. So Long, Farewell (Instrumental Version)*

76. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Instrumental Version)*

77. Something Good (Instrumental Version)*

78. Processional and Maria (Part 1) (Instrumental Version)*

79. Processional and Maria (Part 2) (Instrumental Version)*

80. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise) (Instrumental Version)*

81. Do-Re-Mi (Festival Reprise) (Instrumental Version)*

82. Edelweiss (Festival Reprise) (Instrumental Version)

83. So Long, Farewell (Festival Reprise) (Instrumental Version)*

84. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Reprise) (Instrumental Version)*

1965 Version – Dolby Atmos

1. Prelude and The Sound of Music (2023 Stereo Mix)*

2. Overture and Preludium (Dixit Dominus) (2023 Stereo Mix)*

3. Morning Hymn and Alleluia (2023 Stereo Mix)*

4. Maria (2023 Stereo Mix)*

5. I Have Confidence (2023 Stereo Mix)*

6. Sixteen Going on Seventeen (2023 Stereo Mix)*

7. My Favorite Things (2023 Stereo Mix)*

8. Do-Re-Mi (2023 Stereo Mix)*

9. The Sound of Music (2023 Stereo Mix)*

10. The Lonely Goatherd (2023 Stereo Mix)*

11. So Long, Farewell (2023 Stereo Mix)*

12. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (2023 Stereo Mix)*

13. Something Good (2023 Stereo Mix)*

14. Processional and Maria (2023 Stereo Mix)*

15. Edelweiss (2023 Stereo Mix)*

16. Climb Ev’ry Mountain (Reprise) (2023 Stereo Mix)*

About Craft Recordings

Craft Recordings is home to one of the largest and most essential collections of master recordings and compositions in the world. Its storied repertoire includes landmark releases from icons such as Joan Baez, John Coltrane, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Celia Cruz, Miles Davis, Isaac Hayes, John Lee Hooker, Little Richard, R.E.M., Joan Sebastian, and Traveling Wilburys. Plus, the catalog recordings of celebrated contemporary acts including A Day to Remember, Evanescence, Alison Krauss, Nine Inch Nails, Taking Back Sunday and Violent Femmes, to name just a few. Renowned imprints with catalogs issued under the Craft banner include Fania, Fantasy, Fearless, Musart, Nitro, Panart, Prestige, Riverside, Rounder, Specialty, Stax, Vanguard, Varèse Sarabande, Vee-Jay and Victory, among many others. Craft creates thoughtfully curated packages, with a meticulous devotion to quality and a commitment to preservation—ensuring that these recordings endure for new generations to discover. Craft is also home to the Billie Holiday and Tammy Wynette estates which preserve and protect their respective names, likeness and music through day-to-day legacy management of these cultural trailblazers.

Craft Recordings is the catalog label team for Concord. For more info, visit CraftRecordings.com and follow on Facebook, X (Twitter), Instagram, TikTok and YouTube.

https://concord.com/news/craft-recordings-celebrates-the-enduring-legacy-of-rodgers-hammersteins-cinematic-treasure-the-sound-of-music-with-a-definitive-super-deluxe-edition-of-its-beloved-soundtrack/

Pre-Order links:

https://craftrecordings.com/collections/the-sound-of-music

The Sound of Music - Super Deluxe Edition Box Set (4-CD / 1-Blu-ray Audio) $109.00

SoundofMusicSuperDeluxe-COMBINEDpackshotbook_CDexploded1x1_1_550x825.webp

The Sound of Music - Deluxe Edition (2-CD) $25.00

TheSoundofMusic_2CD_Packshot_550x825.webp

The Sound of Music - Deluxe Edition (Picnic Meadow Green 3-LP) $76.00

TheSoundofMusic_3LP_Green_550x825.webp

The Sound of Music - Deluxe Edition (3-LP) $76.00

TheSoundofMusic_3LP_550x825.webp
The Sound of Music - Super Deluxe Edition (Digital) $40.00
The Sound of Music (Standard) Digital $10.00

TheSoundOfMusicDig_550x825.webp

Yeah I was going to ask: didn't Mike once say in a podcast how he was in a room with the tapes, but that they were so damaged that they needed to wear masks or something to protect themselves from poisonous vapours, and/or that they could only play them once?

Also, and this is absolutely not a criticism towards this release, why did they have to wait so long? Is this yet another example of a competent producer allowed in the room way too late? Or are there really company people who think it's a good idea to sit on these things for years and ban commercial releases? Serious question, not sarcasm.

I know I’m supposed to be over the moon about this release, yet I’m not. I’m not that big a fan of the musical. I’ll probably get the 2-CD version because of the merits of the film and because Mike’s involved, but I don’t think I’ll play it more than once. Anyway, happy for all the fans and for Mike on getting released one of his dream projects. 

46 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

didn't Mike once say in a podcast how he was in a room with the tapes, but that they were so damaged that they needed to wear masks or something to protect themselves from poisonous vapours, and/or that they could only play them once?

Also, and this is absolutely not a criticism towards this release, why did they have to wait so long?

Mike has also said that plugin technology has advanced what can be done with said transfers.

Wow! I always cite Grand Prix as my first film score. But this album and that cover are some of my first memories of anything! (The Sound of Music was my parent's first date.)

It's always wonderful to see an expansion like this done by someone who adores the subject THIS MUCH! (Disney!)

You can explore 3 ways to buy:

Find and visit a Local Record Store and get phone number and directions (call first, there is no guarantee which products may be in stock locally)

Purchase now from a local store that sells online

Purchase digitally now from recordstoreday.com (which serves local record stores)

So......how to buy it overseas?

So it looks like it breaks down something like this:

Main Expanded Program (48 tracks)

Super Deluxe Edition - On CD and Blu-ray / 96/24 Stereo

2 CD

Vinyl

Super Deluxe Edition - Digital

Interviews (4 tracks)

Super Deluxe Edition - CD

Original 1965 Soundtrack (16 tracks)

Super Deluxe Edition - On CD and Blu-ray / 96/24 Stereo / Dolby Atmos

The Sound of Music (Standard) Digital

Alternates and Demos (34 tracks)

Super Deluxe Edition - CD

I think I've got that about right. Someone can add any details I've missed.

Really, this was an easy pre-order for me. Mike's excitement is one factor, and I have loved this film since I saw it on a tiny TV in a lounge in a hotel in 1980 when I was 13. 

I love that there is a blu-ray audio disc included with the album in Atmos.

Just a great package, and given similar deluxe album upgrades (Beatles, for example), I think the cost is relatively reasonable.

Congrats to Jay and Mike for their work on this.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Me?  I had nothing to do with this.

Oh I thought you were talking about stuff you had done too! Well, thanks for just posting all the info. I guess I was not parsing what was pasted and what was your voice. I just assumed you helped because you do on other releases!

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-the-soundtrack-show-29021108/

Interesting to go back to this David W Collins interview way back in Nov 2018 (feels like a lifetime ago lol) with Mike Matessino where he discusses The Sound of Music restoration process!  If the timestamp doesn't sync up above it's around the 15min mark.  The clue dropped by Mike about his big project was dropped way back then lol

Here's the link to the specific episodes instead of a link to the overall podcast:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-the-soundtrack-show-29021108/episode/producing-soundtrack-albums-an-interview-with-30216807/

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-the-soundtrack-show-29021108/episode/producing-soundtrack-albums-an-interview-with-30257462/

I can't recall if I've heard this one before or not, so I'm gonna give it a spin - thanks for the tip!

Mike says

For those interested, I speak about the release briefly with Tim Sika on "Celluloid Dreams" today. It's on KSJS San Jose every Friday at 2:00 p.m. Pacific. More in-depth discussion will follow closer to the release.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=152245&forumID=1&archive=0

It looks like the episodes get posted here after they air:

https://soundcloud.com/user-782049152

Ah, I did not have all the info on who had the rights at the time, thanks for sharing.  I knew it was about transferring the elements in 1994 but I thought it was him dropping a hint at the time that it was being worked on.  

I pre-ordered the 2 CD version of the soundtrack. As much as I LOVE this film, and the music, I cannot justify the cost of the 4 CD set.

But I am REALLY looking forward to the score basically film-complete.

On 13/10/2023 at 1:44 PM, Jay said:

Mike says

For those interested, I speak about the release briefly with Tim Sika on "Celluloid Dreams" today. It's on KSJS San Jose every Friday at 2:00 p.m. Pacific. More in-depth discussion will follow closer to the release.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=152245&forumID=1&archive=0

It looks like the episodes get posted here after they air:

https://soundcloud.com/user-782049152

And here it is

https://soundcloud.com/user-782049152/the-sound-of-music-special-deluxe-edition-with-mike-matessino-all-new-movie-reviews-10-12-23

• 1 month later...