Disney Re-Issuing Indiana Jones Trilogy/Saga on November 3, 2023

Amer

7 hours ago, Thor said:

No, I prefer the expanded version, actually. But I've heard the original Polydor too, even if I don't own it, and think that works absolutely fine too.

The Concord Edition has the short version, too. 

7 hours ago, Thor said:

No, I prefer the expanded version, actually. But I've heard the original Polydor too, even if I don't own it, and think that works absolutely fine too.

Wow, first expansion I’ve heard you say you preferred. Just curious, what is it about the expansion that you think improves the OST program?  (Apologies if it’s a tiresome question, but you understand your principles on expansions are somewhat unique.) 

2 hours ago, Schilkeman said:
How does the sound quality of the Polydor Raiders compare to the DCC?

Anyone?

The Polydor CD is basically the original John Neal mixes for the album issue sources from Eric Tomlinson's tapes. The DCC is the actual 'Film Mix' done by Eric Tomlinson. 

3 minutes ago, Amer said:

The Polydor CD is basically the original John Neal mixes for the album issue sources from Eric Tomlinson's tapes. The DCC is the actual 'Film Mix' done by Eric Tomlinson. 

Ok, the Star Wars Polydor is from around the same time and sounds...not great. Is it comparable to that?

6 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Ok, the Star Wars Polydor is from around the same time and sounds...not great. Is it comparable to that?

That one is terribly flat. I had to get rid of it as as soon as I got the ARISTA 4CD Set. But RAIDERS Polydor sounds fantastic in comparison. I only bought it for the sake of John Neil Mixes. The choir in Map Room:Tanis sounds really upfront than the one on the DCC. But the Concorde edition is a mixed bag with Shawn Murphy on the controls but he is using Neals mixes as well as Tomlinson.

15 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Where did you get the jewel case version of Indy 4?

In Australia all Indy 4 CDs were sold in jewel cases through general music retailers (JB HiFi, Sanity, etc) over the counter. I bought mine at JB HiFi.

But this was before the Concord Box was a thing. 

After the Concord Box came out all the scores were also re-issued for individual sale through the retailers, but they were all sold as digipaks.  Any remaining stock of Indy 4s still in jewel cases were either recalled and replaced, or re-stocked, by digipaks.   

1 hour ago, That_Bloke said:

In Australia all Indy 4 CDs were sold in jewel cases through general music retailers (JB HiFi, Sanity, etc) over the counter. I bought mine at JB HiFi.

But this was before the Concord Box was a thing.

Yeah I got the KOCS OST in AU and it's a jewel case, then I got the Concord box which has KOCS in a cardboard sleeve.

11 hours ago, Andy said:

Wow, first expansion I’ve heard you say you preferred. Just curious, what is it about the expansion that you think improves the OST program?  (Apologies if it’s a tiresome question, but you understand your principles on expansions are somewhat unique.) 

It happens once in a rare while. I prefer the Arista box STAR WARSes over the originals too. In this case, the score was "rich enough", thematically and setpiecey, to warrant an expansion. Few of the previously unreleased cues feel like mere filler, and while I'm not 100% sure the whole thing is in chronological order (I think it is), the album has a concept-like quality about it nonetheless.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

It happens once in a rare while. I prefer the Arista box STAR WARSes over the originals too. In this case, the score was "rich enough", thematically and setpiecey, to warrant an expansion. Few of the previously unreleased cues feel like mere filler, and while I'm not 100% sure the whole thing is in chronological order (I think it is), the album has a concept-like quality about it nonetheless.

Itsn't it mainly about preferring the albums you heard first?

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Itsn't it mainly about preferring the albums you heard first?

Not exclusively, but that's definitely part of it.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Now, just a damn minute!

THE MISSOURI BREAKS, MIDWAY, and FAMILY PLOT before JAWS?!

Rubbish! Do it again, boy!

Although I put Family Plot after Jaws, but still wrong, as Black Sunday should succeed it, you are right about the other titles…. Oops…..! 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

These are supposed to be dropping in Japan 1 week from today, and there's still no cover art available at either Ark Square or Tower.  The releases are not up on Amazon JP yet, either.

HOWEVER, Tower Records' website has been updated with the tracklists, and guess what?  It's not the OST albums for the original trilogy, but the 2008 Concord programs.

https://tower.jp/item/6194577/Raiders-Of-The-Lost-Ark

https://tower.jp/item/6194515/Indiana-Jones-And-The-Temple-Of-Doom

https://tower.jp/item/6194599/Indiana-Jones-And-The-Last-Crusade

https://tower.jp/item/6194503/Indiana-Jones-And-The-Kingdom-Of-The-Crystal-Skull

So there you go.

So I guess on Raiders, it's probably safe to assume it's the shorter Concord/OST edit of the Desert Chase vs the DCC release as well then.

If these tracks lists are correct, there's no reason to think these are anything other than an identical 1:1 repressing of the 2008 discs.

The Concord set is not perfect, but it's still better than just throwing the decades-old OSTs on streaming services, like what happened with SW.

Sure, the ideal would be a definitive presentation produced by MM, but since those will only happen in the distant future (probably only after what is left of mankind goes to a space station in order to move to a new planet, like the finale of Interstellar) I'll take what I get.

No they're not.  Concord no longer holds the license to this music.  Walt Disney Records has had exclusive rights since Jan 1 2019

These will be the Concord discs with Disney Records logos and legalese instead of Concord's info.

Again, if the tracklists on Tower Records' website are correct.

I'm sure plenty of retailers still have plenty of old stock, of course, sure.  But they are not in print albums, Concord does not have a license to sell these albums any more.

10 hours ago, Presto said:

Why are you circling Yes Giorgo, The River, and whatever that is to the left of Raiders?

I'm circling YG and saying I approve (thumbs up). It's a very glaring omission in my collection.

Yeah? somebody else put the same links on a JW facebook page. As far I know these werent here on Amazon last week. So it must be the Disney ones using the Concord artwork.

I just hope these are jewel case bound sets as I needed those!

3 hours ago, Amer said:

Yeah? somebody else put the same links on a JW facebook page. As far I know these werent here on Amazon last week. So it must be the Disney ones using the Concord artwork.

I just hope these are jewel case bound sets as I needed those!

I was just looking at the individual Concord releases on Amazon like a month ago… Pretty sure it was this exact same TOD page. Scroll down and look at the year in the product details section: 2008. And the description says it’s the 2008 version, too.

Also plenty of user reviews on that page already, because it’s an existing album page. And lastly, notice that it’s not actually listed as being sold by Amazon; it’s shipped by Amazon, but it’s sold by third-party sellers. For an official new release, it would say both Shipped and Sold by Amazon.com. Unfortunately, this doesn’t seem to be anything new. :(

Sadly these are missing the music that was included in the 5th disc that came with the Concord Box set.

Raiders March (from Raiders of the Lost Ark)

Interviews with John Williams, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas

Uncovering the Ark (from Raiders of the Lost Ark)

Indy and the Villagers (from the Temple of Doom)

The Secret Passage (from the Temple of Doom)

Father's Study (from the Last Crusade)

Marcus is Captured/To Berlin (from the Last Crusade)

To the Blimp (from the Last Crusade)

The Blimp Turns Around (from the Last Crusade)

Death of Kazim (from the Last Crusade)

Wrong Choice, Right Choice (from the Last Crusade)

If anyone in Japan has bought or seen them as yet please share pics and confirm if its a digipack or a regular plastic jewel case...?

On 03/11/2023 at 11:09 PM, Amer said:

Amazon has started listing them as import but still using the concorde artwork. 

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Soundtrack https://a.co/d/d8H4lmJ

These new Disney Records editions are not listed on any Amazons.  You've linked to a listing for the 2008 Concord release.

Ark Square and Tower remain the only Japanese websites I've found that list these, and neither has artwork or samples yet.  Maybe they got delayed? Or canceled?