James Horner's THE MASK OF ZORRO (1998) - 2023 2-CD Expanded Edition from La La Land Records, produced by Neil S. Bulk

Jay

On 24/11/2023 at 6:39 AM, bruce marshall said:

I would be grateful for info on which tracks are " previously unreleased".

Thanks!

Apparently all of these

4. Don't Touch My Brother   :28
5. Interrupted Getaway  1:09
6. Joaquin's Death  :59
7. Meeting On The Beach  1:11
8. Prison Escape  4:15
9. The Hand / Emotions Torn   3:04
10. Diego Meets Alejandro  1:29
11. The Medallion / The Master's Wheel  1:12
13. Lesson #3 1:15
14. The Black Tornado / First Meeting   3:10
17. Rooftop Getaway 1:23
18. Choose Your Weapon  1:17
19. Diego In The Study :39
20. Sexy Dance  1:11
22. Jack's Demise 1:06
23. Love's Suspicions 1:20
24. So Long Ago…  2:50
25. Sick Souvenirs  1:39
26. An Unknown Past 2:24
4. Alejandro's Plea  :51

edit: Removed the tracks that were inside other albumtracks

I would love to get this, along with SNEAKERS, but alas my financial situation only allows HOOK. 

Anyway, I'm so happy for everyone who can get these two amazing scores.

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

Apparently all of these

1. Main Title (From The Motion Picture "The Mask Of Zorro") 1:08
2. Alejandro & Elena's Duel  3:56

Very typically to many Horner expansions the unreleased material is mostly the shorter cues between the classic mammoth Horner pieces that run 5+ minutes and ended up on the OST.

Looking forward to hearing this in full form. While I may not be the biggest fan of the faux Spanish/Mexican (more on the Spanish side actually) stylings Horner is using in his music it is a fun swashbuckling action/adventure score.

One of my most coveted holy grails. I saw the movie on TV back when I was 11 or 12 and I really enjoyed it! Then I saw it again about two years ago and it's still pretty solid. But I've never been a fan of the OST though, which is why I hope the expansion will make me appreciate the score even more.

This score hits one of my Horner nostalgia soft spots, as it was one of the first Horner scores I discovered (back in the browsing-in-shelves way of things), and clichéd as it may be (hello Carmen!), it's just so much fun to listen to :). Even though I pretty much consider the album already very comprehensive, this is an immediate order for me.

I went on a little Horner discovery round sometime this year, checking out some of his OSTs on Tidal. On first listen Mask of Zorro was one that I thought had good ideas but was too bland/unstructured to really hold my attention. Legend seemed much more fun. Nevertheless I'm liking the samples (though he was very much in a Jumanji mood :P) and I'll definitely give it a full listen to give it a better chance when it's... um... out.

Thought I might've had a track or two from this, but apparently not. It's the right era for me to have been a grail, but things didn't happen like that. I've never seen the film.

The only track I have from the franchise is the train chase from the sequel score. I seem to remember the ending track from one of them (more likely from the second one) going on forever like many of Horner's extended melodramatic pieces.

16 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

Apparently all of these

1. Main Title (From The Motion Picture "The Mask Of Zorro") 1:08
2. Alejandro & Elena's Duel  3:56

"Main Title" is in the OST track "Plaza of Execution" and "Alejandro & Elena's Duel" is in the OST track "The Fencing Lesson".

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a better quality cover? Even the one on LLL's site, the text with the actor's names looks blurred compared to the rest of the crisp cover for some reason. Also, could LLL start posting 1400x1400, 1500x1500 or bigger artwork on their site instead of 1280x1280? I know it use to be 1425x1425, but that still wasn't even. I'd rather not have to resize with photoshop. I'm a little OCD with my album artwork.

Ripping my copy as we speak as well! I'm excited to listen to this one in the car soon. Such a magnificent score, so happy with this release. Thanks LLL!

I don't know when my copy will be arriving, but I sooo cannot wait to dig into it and read the liner notes!!!

Does anybody else on JWFan have any comments on this yet?

I'm still listening to this while I work, and it is a fantastic expansion.

The only niggling thing is that they don't include the film version of the end credit song, only the version from the previous album.

That said, I'm not sure aside from the cheesy sound effects that there is any difference between the two.

Still, there is just so much excellent music, and in great quality, and I LOVE it.

I'm so looking forward to getting my set. My first contact with this score (aside from watching the film, without specifically paying attention to the score) was a James Horner tribute concert a couple of years back, with a wonderful suite from this. Apart from that, I am going in fresh!

The score was damaged by this ugly song, similar situation like A.I. Was even the same time, I think. This post Titanic aera where each score needed a title song for the album based on the main theme. But like A.I., if you leave out the song, the score is great.

Know that all of you Horner-heads have listened to this album, who can answer this question?

On 24/11/2023 at 5:28 AM, mstrox said:

What does this mean, why is it the big selling point?IMG_1036.jpeg

Is there something special about the track?  Is it like the one cue left off of a session leak or something?  Or was LLL just being funny?

There's never been a boot or leak or anything for this score. Fans of this score had to wait 25 years to hear anything that wasn't on the OST album.

And no label would ever factor boots and leaks into marketing anyway.

Anyone who have the liner notes, please answer me: when were the recording dates for the score? I'm curious to know how far removed the recording of this score (and Deep Impact, when we eventually get that expansion) were from Horner winning his Oscar in the night of March 23, 1998.

51 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Know that all of you Horner-heads have listened to this album, who can answer this question?

Is there something special about the track?  Is it like the one cue left off of a session leak or something?  Or was LLL just being funny?

It was a notable scene in the film and it was left off the OST?

2 hours ago, Holko said:

So it's just like if Varese marketed Mouse Hunt with "now includes "Shit Explosion"?

lol

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

It was a notable scene in the film and it was left off the OST?

Figures!  Seems like a weird way to advertise a release that is already assumed to be complete, especially since it’s just a minute long track.  I don’t remember it from like 25 years ago in theaters, but Horner and ZORRO heads might have a strong connection

with the sexy dance.  Thanks!