New Interview with John Williams reflects on the beginnings of his career, a lifetime in music, and his love for orchestras.

Jay

Wow, that was a great interview with lots of new stories (his first performances) and many great quotes!  I loved these:

On Star Wars blast: "One thing I can tell you about it is the nature of the attack. It was originally preceded by a scale run-up to the top C in the trumpets, but I removed that, and the result was a chord that required a certain kind of attack from everybody in the top register without having followed some preparatory scale up to it. Maurice Murphy, the principal trumpet of the London Symphony Orchestra, who recorded the original soundtrack, was a great trumpeter. When he hit the top C, it shook the whole world. He just grabbed it without any preparation or pickup for a big sound. It’s like interrupting the swell of a rubato and attacking without any kind of precedent. It was a shock to hear Maurice play that so brilliantly, so in tune, so confidently, at the extreme altissimo end of the trumpet range. It had a resonance. That may explain it or it may not, I don’t know."

and

"I can only put dots on a paper; it doesn’t become music until it’s interpreted by a great orchestra and has an audience to hear it. Then what’s written on the paper becomes music, becomes a communal act."

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Little new to us hardcore Williams biographers, but there was one bit -- that he wrote music PRIOR to his piano sonata in 1951

Of course he did! No composer writes a sonata as their first composition. 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No composer writes a sonata as their first composition. 

Some do, but they're all dead.

7 hours ago, Loert said:

Trigger warning:

Reveal hidden contents

"Simple"?

8 hours ago, Falstaft said:

It's really great, isn't it? I know enough about Williams's style of interviewing that a) his responses are often a little rehearsed and massaged and b) this one really does capture his incredible autobiographical memory and poetic sensibility towards his life and art.

I wonder if Spielberg's documentary project may have revivified JW's interview muscles.

Love this bit!!

Even after so many years he remains so humble

"My feeling is that I can only put dots on a paper; it doesn’t become music until it’s interpreted by a great orchestra and has an audience to hear it. Then what’s written on the paper becomes music, becomes a communal act. The orchestra is part of the audience, and the audience surrenders itself to the orchestra for an hour or two or three. As a composer, I feel a great debt to interpreters and performers of my music. They’re partners in the creative process."