John Williams In Tokyo - New live concert album coming May 3rd, 2024 from Deutsche Grammophon

Nathan95

Boring release. Almost identical program and tracks that's been released in  the last few albums from what I remember.  If at least there was something we wanted like TROS suite

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

Boring release. Almost identical program and tracks that's been released in  the last few albums from what I remember.  If at least there was something we wanted like TROS suite

A new performance by a world class orchestra isn't hardly boring, certainly not for me.

DG can only release what the orchestras perform.  I mean, I assume Williams decides the concert programs, not the record label.  The way it looks to me, DG has been very conscious of what has already been released and has done their best to satisfy everybody.  As far as Vienna II is concerned, they digitally released the 3 tracks that were unique to that concert.  And the first Vienna concert single CD contained the one Mutter track that didn’t make it onto Across the Stars (Devil’s Dance).  I agree that a greater variety would be great, but I don’t think it’s going to happen beyond the one lesser-known piece he usually throws into each show.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this video:

And I noticed something: for this piece, John Williams is not using the sheet music to conduct the orchestra. The book where the sheets are supposed to be is closed:

image.png

image.png

Of course, Williams has conducted the Raiders March SO MANY TIMES since 1981 (and especially over the last 2 years) that he knows the piece top to bottom. Still, I think this is impressive, especially at his age.

For those of you who usually watch Williams' concerts: does he always conduct at least his most famous pieces without the sheets?

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Just saw this video:

And I noticed something: for this piece, John Williams is not using the sheet music to conduct the orchestra. The book where the sheets are supposed to be is closed:

image.png

image.png

Of course, Williams has conducted the Raiders March SO MANY TIMES since 1981 (and especially over the last 2 years) that he knows the piece top to bottom. Still, I think this is impressive, especially at his age.

For those of you who usually watch Williams' concerts: does he always conduct at least his most famous pieces without the sheets?

Yes, he also conducted Superman march, Imperial march and Throne room without the scores 🙂 Conductors often do so.

Seiji Ozawa conducted full symphonies without the sheet music for example. 

Since I made the the preorder more than a month ago then iI should be able to get the Calendar in the SACD edition.

I'm curious, what's so special about Japan? As in, why do they often seem to get SACD releases etc. that would sell in other countries too? Why Japan?

26 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm curious, what's so special about Japan? As in, why do they often seem to get SACD releases etc. that would sell in other countries too? Why Japan?

Because they're rather obsessive about such things. Physical format, deluxe packaging etc.

I need to get the Vienna and Berlin Blu-rays first, before I attempt getting this.

46 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I have both, bought only so I could watch them with an as of yet non-existent other half at a distant point in the future for her conversion to JW.

How does that work for you? Is it like listening to an album? Sorry if it's insensitive, but I'm curious how it works for people who are visually disabled.

Not insensitive at all, but I'm not quite sure how to answer it.

Do you mean, how do I watch them? Well, in this case I'd just be enjoying the surround version as opposed to the stereo mix, provided they've invented better hearing aids by that time since my right eardrum had to go and become all funny and healing is not something it wants to.

Or do you mean, why would I want to watch them with someone? Maybe to ask their opinion on what they see or the occasional description of what they see. Or because I'm guessing it would be more exciting for them to watch instead of just listen.

Does that answer your question?

I wonder whether @TownerFan sees ways of reaching out to Filarmonica della Scala re the one-off Milan concert to get the archival tapes to an indie publisher?

Likely that copy-right issues are the main hurdle.

I think I asked him about recording ideas before the concert, and he said he had no ideas. It's proabbly copyright nonsense no sensible human being cares about, but maybe he could use his Italian charm. I'm sure JW wouldn't mind us having the Milan concert.

The gold exclusive vinyl doesn’t say it’s limited or numbered like the previous releases did

Need the deluxe Blu Ray, but waiting for a US distributor.  These will be more available, right?  

It is literally the same product, whether it is ordered from Universal Music or Deutsche Grammophon.

6 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Wait, did they work with Disney this time?