Will John Williams score Steven Spielberg's new UFO movie?

Jay

Will John Williams score Steven Spielberg's new UFO movie?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams score Steven Spielberg's new UFO movie?

• Yes, I think Williams will score it
    • No, because I think someone else will score it
    • No, because I don't think it will actually get made

For his part, Spielberg, 77, is also staying busy. He will likely make his next project a UFO film based on his own original idea. David Koepp is writing the screenplay, sources say.  

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/martin-scorsese-frank-sinatra-biopic-dicaprio-jennifer-lawrence-1235973769/

I hope he does it. 

C’mon! Of course he will! He’ll want to, anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I mean shit.

One of the best cues in KOTCS is the departure.

JW writes UFO themes for breakfast.

Correct on both accounts!

14 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

One of the best cues in KOTCS is the departure.

Probably the best cue in that score.

Also, it would be interesting to see JW revisiting this "genre" five decades after Close Encounters and two after War of the Worlds.

Imagine a cue that's like a mix of JFK/Nixon/government related in terms of conspiracy for UFOs 

Omg🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤

This would be his, what, 5th score for a movie with aliens? He's got a great track record so far on the subject!

Really just depends what angle Spielberg's going for. Could this be his previously abandoned Night Skies, which was based on the Kelly-Hopkinsville encounter?

4 hours ago, Badzeee said:

I hope he does it. 

C’mon! Of course he will! He’ll want to, anyway. 

And I quote: "Steven is a hard man to say no to."

But just don't take too long in pre-production, Steve!

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

This would be his, what, 5th score for a movie with aliens? He's got a great track record so far on the subject!

Doesn't Star Wars count? There's plenty of aliens in these movies :lol:

I'd much rather he "remade" his own films instead of Bullitt, or whatever other rumors about his next project, so a new alien movie sounds great. And yeah, I do think John will score it, if he's capable of doing so.

If he's able, I think he will.

But if he was only able to complete (sort of) a score for DoD due to an extended PP period and help from Ross, it does seem like it comes down to health and general ability to do it. Maybe SS would turn to Tom Newman again.

I doubt the film ever comes to fruition. I don't believe a new Spielberg film is on the horizon until I know he's actually out and about, shooting it.

Furthermore, just because Spielberg 'will make' this UFO movie, that doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be directing it. It could be that his production company, Amblin, is putting up the money to have it made and that he'll hire a director to it. If that is the case, then that director will be hiring the composer of his choice, not necessarily JW.

On the other hand, I'm not overlooking the idea that the chosen director may bring in JW to do the music, but not puttng my hopes on that, at this earlier stage.

50 minutes ago, SyncMan said:

Furthermore, just because Spielberg 'will make' this UFO movie, that doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be directing it. It could be that his production company, Amblin, is putting up the money to have it made and that he'll hire a director to it. If that is the case, then that director will be hiring the composer of his choice, not necessarily JW.

On the other hand, I'm not overlooking the idea that the chosen director may bring in JW to do the music, but not puttng my hopes on that, at this earlier stage.

Even if Spielberg is just producing, if Williams wants to do it, he will get to do it.  

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

The Curse of the Dead Jawa

or 

Cannibal Droids

I can see Disney doing some Star Wars horror specials for streaming on D+ during Halloween.

"The Attack of the Mad Ewok" - a group of teens is stranded in the moon of Endor and now they need to survive a crazy Ewok who is determined to hunt them all. The first slasher set in the Star Wars galaxy!

I hope so!

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Also, it would be interesting to see JW revisiting this "genre" five decades after Close Encounters and two after War of the Worlds.

What do you mean WotW is now older than CE3K was when I first discovered Williams's score!?

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Very obscure reference.

LOL!  I'm surprised that didn't come to me :)