John Williams returns to Berlin for three concerts, June 5-7 2025

Jay

Whoa, I thought Berlin and Europe was over and done with (and Williams' statements about wanting to return just "polite speak"). I'll definitely go if my money situation turns around by 2025, or whenever the tickets are put up.

Translated:

• Thu 5/6/25  8.00pm
  • Fri 6/6/25  8.00pm
  • Sat 7/6/25  7.00pm

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra  |  John Williams conductor

Excerpts from film scores

What would films like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones or Harry Potter be without him? John Williams, superstar of American film music, gave them all their unmistakable sound. His magical, sparkling soundtracks are not only catchy tunes, but also congenially deepen stories and characters. In 2021, John Williams made his debut with the Berlin Philharmonic and led the audience through the cosmos of his work. This season we can see him conducting his works again: a great moment not only for film fans.

Live on June 7th, 2025 in the Digital Concert Hall

Tickets Concert Category 5

Advance sale from February 23rd, 2025

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Berlin? Twice in... what... two years?

The first Berlin concert was October 14, 15, 16 in 2021.

This concert is June 5,6,7 in 2025.  So that's about 3 years, 8 months between visits

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Berlin? Twice in... what... two years?

And when was the last time you were in London, Mr. Williams?

I'll tell you: July 4th, 1998 (!). I know, I was there! 

Yes, damn that illness in 2018! Soooooo close. I would have preferred another go at London rather than Berlin again, but having him come back to Europe was way, way beyond what I expected anyway.

It's possible he will do more dates than just Berlin once he's flown out there. Like how he did two different cities in Japan

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, damn that illness in 2018! Soooooo close. I would have preferred another go at London rather than Berlin again, but having him come back to Europe was way, way beyond what I expected anyway.

I mean, 2018 was sad and all, but the concert still ended up being pretty awesome. The only thing missing from that one is a decent recording.

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's possible he will do more dates than just Berlin once he's flown out there. Like how he did two different cities in Japan

I find it a little strange every time he's flown overseas lately, he's immediately flown home after the concert. 

Surely these flights are taxing at his age. I'm surprised he doesn't spend a week or so relaxing/sightseeing in the countries he visits, Italy especially (I liked Milan but there was so much to do in other cities by comparison).

I know he's at the mercy of orchestra schedules but surely pairing concerts in multiple European cities makes more sense than multiple round trips from the US for a single city.

Sightseeing is pretty stressful too, when you're 92 (93 then). But yeah, crossing fingers that it will be part of a "Euro tour". I've always dreamt of him coming to Oslo. The Oslo Philharmonic is quite world reknowned, last time I checked, so that should be an attraction.

I wouldn't have thought, that he goes again for three concerts in a row. Last time he was quite exhausted after three days, four if you count the open rehearsal. for youngsters. He spipped the last encore "Princess Leia's Theme" on day two and three already. So, I would have thought, he cuts it a little shorter next time.

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

C'mon, you're not that old.

;)

But it's something to think about. We don't get old in my family. My maternal grandmother was an exception. She passed away in 2022, 93 years old. But by then she was institutionalized and suffered from dementia. And now Williams is planning another Euro trip at that exact age, maybe combined with other places and dates. I find it hard to wrap my head around.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

;)

But it's something to think about. We don't get old in my family. My maternal grandmother was an exception. She passed away in 2022, 93 years old. But by then she was institutionalized and suffered from dementia. And now Williams is planning another Euro trip at that exact age, maybe combined with other places and dates. I find it hard to wrap my head around that.

My grandmother reached 104. And she used to say, until hundred years everything was a joke. But then life became difficult. 

But she wasn't travelling that much. Neither conducting famous orchestras.

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sightseeing is pretty stressful too, when you're 92 (93 then). But yeah, crossing fingers that it will be part of a "Euro tour". I've always dreamt of him coming to Oslo. The Oslo Philharmonic is quite world reknowned, last time I checked, so that should be an attraction.

They're great. I've never heard Tchaikovsky's 3rd symphony played the way they did it with Jansons.

I know it only references film scores, but I wonder if the piano concerto might get added.  

Amazing news on a random Friday afternoon!

Weird that he didn’t want to give London another try….

Good. I've been meaning to revisit Berlin anyway.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

After three concerts in a row, I doubt he'll immediately go on another "tour" concert. I can totally imagine him also doing London and/or Vienna next year at this point, but I would expect that to be a separate trip.

31 minutes ago, Tom said:

I know it only references film scores, but I wonder if the piano concerto might get added.  

Perhaps he's reserving that for Vienna…

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

My grandmother reached 104.

That's crazy. Lucky you, with those genes.

I’m going to one of these concerts one way or another. Two of my biggest musical idols under one ochre-colored roof… there was no way I was going to make it there for his first trip, but with 14 months’ advance notice now, I can properly plan for this one. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

The first Berlin concert was October 14, 15, 16 in 2021.

This concert is June 5,6,7 in 2024.  So that's about 2 years, 8 months between visits

I assume you meant to write 2025, not 2024?

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm surprised he doesn't spend a week or so relaxing/sightseeing in the countries he visits

He did spend a few days in Berlin last time, visiting Museums and stuff I guess... or was it a famous church? I don't remember...

Definitely going!

Going. Definitely going. Might go crazy and try all three. Sit in different places for different experiences.

Also...UK...my god UK please.

That's great ! I'll absolutely try to get tickets. 

It's really perplexing that there is still no news of a concert in London and/or with the LSO. Maybe John Williams is superstitious and doesn't want to try again after the 2018 miss :mellow:

I will definitely be there. Unbelievable that he is doing this at his age. But he lives for music and it keeps him healthy🙏🏻. And I am looking forward to meet up with other JWFan members again😊

I'm seriously considering this. I have to see JW at least one time live.

Anybody remember the price range for the previous Berlin concerts?

23 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I'm seriously considering this. I have to see JW at least one time live.

Anybody remember the price range for the previous Berlin concerts?

I paid €59 for the Thursday concert and €70 for Friday. But there were cheaper tickets from €30/35 and more expensive tickets till €150. I don’t remember exactly. 😅

I'm curious if his set list will differ at all. It would probably be too much to hope for more Hook, Jane Eyre, Home Alone, Schindler's List etc, but I could do without all the usual marches and stuff at this point. Give me Window to the Past and The Banquet Scene in stead.