Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

15 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Anyway, it's the longest Indy movie by far, right?

It's the longest, sure, but I wouldn't say "by far". That's only 12 minutes longer than Last Crusade 

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's the longest, sure, but I wouldn't say "by far". That's only 12 minutes longer than Last Crusade 

so long as it's not entirely anemic in script & shooting locations & direction as the previous one

So when Mangold keeps referring to two hours of music, he must be referring to music in the film. 120 minutes of music for a 142-143 minute Indy film sounds right.

The protracted recording sessions would indicate another ~30 minutes of music recorded – album suites, alternates, inserts, etc.

So we're probably getting roughly half the music recorded on the OST.

37 minutes ago, Tom said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark's runtime still amazes me.  How Lucas and Spielberg introduce a character out of nowhere, trek the globe, have one of the best, if not the best, action sequences in film history, and call down heaven and angels all in less than 2 hours is astonishing.  And, the film doesn't feel the least bit rushed (episode IX, I am looking at you).  

One word: montages.

Maybe JW originally scored a shorter chase scene, which may explain the quotes from other scores. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

So when Mangold keeps referring to two hours of music, he must be referring to music in the film. 120 minutes of music for a 142-143 minute Indy film sounds right.

The protracted recording sessions would indicate another ~30 minutes of music recorded – album suites, alternates, inserts, etc.

So we're probably getting roughly half the music recorded on the OST.

And a large portion of that OST will be the Raider’s March, Helena’s Theme (orchestral version and ASM) and the End Credits 😅

26 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Finally caved and watched the trailer. Man, can't wait to see what Williams cooks up for this one. Feel like there is so much stuff in this one to get him inspired and go out with a bang.

can you believe we will have another map cue or two OR 3....to add to our listening collection.

i'm counting down the days at this point

34 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Finally caved and watched the trailer. Man, can't wait to see what Williams cooks up for this one. Feel like there is so much stuff in this one to get him inspired and go out with a bang.

I’m more excited for the score than the film!

6 hours ago, Garrett said:

Here are the timestamps:

We need a half-laughing, half-crying reaction for this.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Here’s the sequel trilogy for a point of reference:

TFA 136 minute runtime, 174 minutes recorded (128%)

TLJ 152 minute runtime, 184 minutes recorded (121%)

TROS 142 minute runtime, 226 minutes recorded (159%)

Yeah, I think at least 2.5 hours of music recorded and 2 hours in the film is probably a safe bet for Indy 5.

9 hours ago, Brónach said:

oh no! well, there are always more movies

Woops, I meant that it WASN’T those things in those 6 minutes

The script was snappy, a lot at least looked to have been shot on location, and the directing was energetic but clear with a little bit of a vintage Spielberg feel

5 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I'm really glad we're getting a 5th Indy film if for no other reason than a film called "The Last Crusade" getting to now be the middle movie in the famous film franchise.

@crumbs Excellent edit, buddy! Got me pumped! This album is gonna have some of the best cover art for any Williams album.

Someone over at the Indy fan forum, The Raven, did a really nice edit on the new poster:

http://raven.theraider.net/threads/poster-artist-for-dial-of-destiny.24804/page-10#post-598996

Finally caved and watched the trailer. Between this and the poster, I honestly don't think I could be more excited for a new entry with this character.

I feel like the arc (of the covenant) that they will be going for is Indy feeling comfortable with where he is in life. Marion may have passed since Skull. I get the feeling with this new trailer that Helena is meant to be reminiscent for us and Indy as Marion in Raiders. This serves thematic purpose though as Indy is encountering that type of person now at the end of his life. I feel like the titular dial can somehow change time, and Indy will go from wanting to be at a different place in his life to being happy with where he is now.

The idea of time or fate being a core element to this film is exciting for multiple reasons, but that coupled with someone like Mangold who really seems to be breathing true life into the character really makes me anxious to hear what the score sounds like from Williams. My mind keeps going to a score like Prisoner of Azkaban where it really comes out of nowhere and shows how Williams can take the soundscape he established for a franchise and really turn it on its head.
And also, ya know, time shenanigans. Not that time travel has been confirmed or anything, just speculating.

My idea watching the trailer was that the activation of the Dial in the climax brings Indy and the villains BACK to his 1945 CGI self and that at least part of the events in the climax happen in 1945; however if the events of the prologue are really 25 minutes long, probably that's not what the thingie does.

I hope the Koepp is minimised because i don't enjoy his things.

12 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Loving the trailer. Actually cheered when Sallah said 'Give 'em hell, Indiana Jones!' 

i would actually have prefeerred Ke Huy Quan over this cameo, to be honest

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

As for the score, if Williams' last time travel film was any indication, this could be amongst his finest work.

Will Johnny pull a page out of Zimmer’s playback and use a ticking clock motif as part of his Dial of Destiny macguffin theme?

My prediction is: yes.

He could show Zimmer how it’s really done. It would be similar to Forward to Time Past from Prisoner of Azkaban.

28 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Will Johnny pull a page out of Zimmer’s playback and use a ticking clock motif as part of his Dial of Destiny macguffin theme?

My prediction is: yes.

He could show Zimmer how it’s really done. It would be similar to Forward to Time Past from Prisoner of Azkaban.

there's also backwards music

On 15/03/2016 at 6:46 PM, John Takis said:

“Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can’t wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019,” said Alan Horn, Chairman, The Walt Disney Studios, in a news release. “It’s rare to have such a perfect combination of director, producers, actor and role, and we couldn’t be more excited to embark on this adventure with Harrison and Steven.”

One source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-announces-fifth-indiana-jones-875794

Discuss! :)

I'm glad to read we're still in 2019. I had a horrible dream leading up to 2023...

I'm getting a real Superman Returns vibe from this movie. Like they're just going ignore KotCS and pretend this is the 4th one. 

And before the haters chime in, I like KotCS, and am perfectly fine having it be the final film. As with all movies, I want this one to be great. I hope it is.

33 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Just catching up after Easter and cannot see where the actual trailer with it's trashy music is being discussed.

This thread that you are posting in.

The trailer was posted at the bottom of page 100, and every post since has been discussing it (or the new poster, the 6 minute clip, or Mangold interviews, that all came out around the same time)

On 07/04/2023 at 2:01 PM, Bellosh said:

Oh and Indy's line: "I know Tangier" actually made me lol.

Is this a reference to Young Indiana Jones or something?

On 7/4/2023 at 12:01 PM, Bellosh said:

Oh and Indy's line: "I know Tangier" actually made me lol.  I'm feeling great about this movie.

The fact that he used the correct Tangier and not "Tangiers" is a good sign.