John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022

crlbrg

Question: my good friend is (now, after today!) a member of the Musikverein.  Can he buy my tickets as a +1 with his Membership, or do we BOTH need to be Members for tomorrow’s sale?

I’m sure I did the opposite in the first Vienna - I became a Member, and my wife was my +1 on the ticket order - but I can’t quite remember. 

If the rules haven't changed, members can buy 4 tickets for each concert during the exclusive member sales phase. After that, anyone can buy as many tickets as they like. Tickets are not personalised, so you can give your 4 "exclusive" tickets to whomever you like.

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

If the rules haven't changed, members can buy 4 tickets for each concert during the exclusive member sales phase. After that, anyone can buy as many tickets as they like. Tickets are not personalised, so you can give your 4 "exclusive" tickets to whomever you like.

Thank you - should be same as Vienna 1 then (we assume nothing has changed). 

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

There's like an entire cohort of JWFan that only post in threads related to Vienna or Berlin, so I'm happy these people have reason to continue visiting the forum ;) 

The Berlin thread could actually be archived, given today's news (still haven't quite grasped what is happening, and why).

Wonderful news! Not sure I’ll be able to attend. Managed to see him first time around in Vienna and also in Berlin so all good 🙂

Could anyone recommend a hotel?  

Last time out in Vienna, stayed at the Ring hotel so a great walking distance to the hall, and for Berlin, Grimm's at Potsdamer Platz, which was perfect (nice, a bit quirky, full of Williams nerds!).

Anyone know anything similar in Vienna? (Ring is closed for refurbishment it seems).

13 hours ago, carlborg said:

5BE8E03F-F5DE-4CA8-8810-B438D138466E.jpeg

Well, it’s safe to say that this is the top contender for ‘Surprise of the Year’ so far…

WOW! AWESOME!

On a short notice to let the locals in this time!

They have been discussing Williams's return for over a year, if not full two years at this point. They were obviously unwilling to commit to announcing such a star event without COVID rules in Austria being lax enough for a concert to take place, and Williams being available. I bet neither side wanted to postpone this collaboration for too long, considering Williams's age.

Maybe April, June, etc. were precisely NOT a possible window, and they had to choose between settling for March a mere month prior, or waiting a year.

I'm really on the fence regarding buying membership... because money is really tight at the moment. Do any of you guys remember wether any decent seats were available to the general audience after the pre-sale had begun last time?

(As always, apologies for my broken English!)

2 hours ago, Once said:

I'm really on the fence regarding buying membership... because money is really tight at the moment. Do any of you guys remember wether any decent seats were available to the general audience after the pre-sale had begun last time?

(As always, apologies for my broken English!)

I don't think there were. If you didn't have access to the pre-sale, you were stuck with a few standing tickets or the most expensive tickets in the house (if any). I'm not 100% sure though, since I didn't want to take the gamble last time and just bought the membership. 

1 hour ago, Romão said:

I have a baby on the way and he could possibly be born on those very same dates, so no chance I can make it this time ;)

An offspring is insignificant next to the power of Williams.

Just kidding: Congrats on the baby.  

2 hours ago, Romão said:

I have a baby on the way and he could possibly be born on those very same dates, so no chance I can make it this time ;)

Congrats, Romão! 

In Vienna it was the same as in Berlin. Both Orchestras are filled with some Academy Members. It was not only in Berlin. Has everybody see Rainer Honeck in Vienna 2020 ?

On the the other way, many say, the BP is much more suitable for the Williams music because it is the better symphony orchestra. Vienna is better when it comes to play Operas etc. or play with Singers.

And then there is again ASM. I did not like Violin Concertos. And the "sound the bells" is terrible. So the new program in Vienna is by far not so good as in berlin. My opinion...

And ticket prices want be much higher as in berlin, because of ASM. For such a event ASM gets big money and the VP ist not like the BP a foundation. Thats more like a private Club.

2 hours ago, heritage said:

In Vienna it was the same as in Berlin. Both Orchestras are filled with some Academy Members. It was not only in Berlin. Has everybody see Rainer Honeck in Vienna 2020 ?

On the the other way, many say, the BP is much more suitable for the Williams music because it is the better symphony orchestra. Vienna is better when it comes to play Operas etc. or play with Singers.

And then there is again ASM. I did not like Violin Concertos. And the "sound the bells" is terrible. So the new program in Vienna is by far not so good as in berlin. My opinion...

And ticket prices want be much higher as in berlin, because of ASM. For such a event ASM gets big money and the VP ist not like the BP a foundation. Thats more like a private Club.

Not quite the same. The concert master in Vienna was not Honeck (or Steude), but a regular one. The winds saw the usual senior tenured players in Vienna. Unlike Berlin. Nobody commented on such issues in Vienna. But in Berlin many insiders noticed... You saw academists in the tutti strings in Vienna. That's normal. In Berlin all the solo winds (except Wenzel Fuchs) were academists. That's just rude to JW, sorry.

Berlin is not the better symphony orchestra, far from it, maybe 40 years ago, but not now. They lost their sonic identity, are now a group of super musicians that have no collective sound. Unlike Vienna who is all about the orchestra as one living organism. Also actually Vienna's style and sound is perfect for John Williams music, he said so himself. 
Don't forget that much of the Hollywood orchestra music tradition is based on the Viennese/Austro-Bohemian school. Korngold etc... In short, JW and Vienna Phil are a perfect match.
Berlin is a very capable band, maybe more flexible than Vienna in soundscapes, they can do anything, but they need a lot of input from a über-conductor, to get that result. Otherwise it's just random and loud. Even in the classical core repertoire. Vienna on the other hand, anything classic to late romantic repertoire you throw at them, they play it making you grin right away. So perfect for JW's music. Maybe anything from Stravinsky and later on they are not so instantly great anymore. Will be interesting with the Violin concerto.

Just listen to the brass groups of both orchestras. Vienna sounds perfect and well blended and balanced. Berlin not so much. Only on first sight is it paradox, that Vienna play German trumpets (softer and fuller sound) and Berlin played American trumpets (narrower and sharper sound). Williams couldn't be happier with that full sound in Vienna through all registers.
The horns... not even in the same league in those concerts, sorry Sarah Willis :) Just listen. In Vienna the timbre is continuous from Trumpets to Horns. In Berlin it's like two different worlds. (also like in two different rooms)

The solo violin repertoire is a different issue, and I agree that for the hardcore fans it might be a bit of a distraction. I personally like the variation it introduces, and also their artistic collaboration is a joy to witness. Last but not least it seems to be a great inspiration for the master, who as far as straight forward film music goes, might feel at this point in his life a bit less attracted to the known routines, due to lack of new challenges. 

Does any body here need a ticket? ... they are selling pretty fast. I still can buy 3 more on my subscription so if you have any problems with buying yours, let me know.

11 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Do you guys remember how to bypass that ffiing javascript when you check out at the cart?

I used a different browser (Opera) to check out after Firefox didn't work last night for the subscription.

I know what went wrong...

They also made a reservation per email for me for 4 tickets... That is why the system said I could only order max 4...

Called the box office and they cancelled that reservation for me. 

I booked a new ticket for Sunday now, which suits better with the flight from the Netherlands...

Before I cancel my Saturday ticket: if anyone is interested, you can buy it for face value.

Its Parterre Row 16, seat 8. € 240,-

3 minutes ago, Kohlasp said:

Do they selling standing room tickets? Like the last time (pre covid).

they do, but they were already sold out after a few minutes (8 euro tickets...) 

Just now, Mr. Breathmask said:

Is it sold out yet?

no