Return of the Jedi at 40

Tallguy

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

You know what this made me think of?

That Star Wars' 40th, then Empire's 40th, then Star Wars' 45th, and now ROTJ's 40th all went by without Disney Records commissioning complete score releases of the OT

They've been waiting for this. It's this year. Guaranteed.

(Hey, look at my sig!)

Of course I was happy and excited when the RotJ OST came out. And yes, I was disappointed, that it was a single LP. And in addition, because the album was so short, I was disappointed by the big amount of old music. Sail barge assault with 90% music from Star Wars, and so much Imperial March. And I didn't particularly like the comedy tone in The Forrest Battle. But I loved Yup-Nup from the start. :)

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

That Star Wars' 40th, then Empire's 40th, then Star Wars' 45th, and now ROTJ's 40th all went by without Disney Records commissioning complete score releases of the OT

Hey it technically isn't May 25th yet! There's still hope! (There's still hope, right?)

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Here we are in 2023, forty years after Return of the Jedi.

There have been a couple of threads that have addressed its status as the "lesser" score of the Original Trilogy. Which is certainly true. But as I noted elsewhere that's like being the ugliest Hemsworth.

To begin with it's got Luke and Leia which is the prettiest theme in the Star Wars films. (Princess Leia's theme, you know I adore you.) An oddly powerful theme given that it's used so briefly in the film.

It has the freaking Emperor's theme. i.e. the theme that Williams has never shied away from in any future iteration of Star Wars, while it felt like someone held a gun to his head to get him to use Yoda's theme again. And he builds it brick by evil brick in every scene that the Emperor is in.

Even The Parade of the Ewoks is pretty good. Although the music probably sees them as cuter than the film actually does. This doesn't sound like little fur balls who want to eat you and hang your hat on a spike and use it for a drum.

The opening Approaching the Death Star is a delicious re-entry into Star Wars. It plays with the audiences familiarity with the Imperial March for a minute or two to foreshadow who is on the shuttle. This film has a lot more fun re-introducing Our Heroes (and Villain) one at a time than Empire did.

And as people have noted on other threads, it introduces the Into the Trap motif. What is it? Is it the new Death Star? It's a wonderful tune at any rate. Into the Trap is the TIE Fighter Attack / Asteroid Field of Return of the Jedi.

One of the biggest things to appreciate on the 20th anniversary CD is the inclusion of all of the Jabba the Hutt music. It's another theme that Williams plays around with variations of. It gets played in some delightfully light and delicate ways that aren't on the OST or the Arista.

There are a lot of "little" moments that weren't on the OST or the Arista expansion like the cut to the Rebel Fleet or the Briefing. These are the little things that Williams tosses off when he's not trying too hard. And they're wonderful.

I love the sail barge battle (Return of the Jedi) and I'm not fan of the original take. But it does feel like a suddenly nostalgic look backward to only two films before.

I think the times that it's an echo of Star Wars hurt the reputation of this score. Empire certainly built on the themes and motifs from Star Wars but it did it in such a dramatic leap forward. At the time I was expecting the same sort of thing and as good as the score is, it just doesn't happen here. The sail barge is also such a bright cue (as is a lot of the battle music, especially the concert arrangement of Forrest Battle) which is a slight change in tone from the previous films. I'm not saying the battle music in Star Wars and Empire were grim and dour, they weren't. But the tone overall gives the game away for the whole film. "Nothing to worry about here! We're all having a good time and we're going to win everything!" (At the end of Empire I don't think anyone thought that they were going to try and wrap everything up in one more film.)

I'd complain about the lack of development of Han Solo and the Princess, but I might also complain about the film's lack of development of Han Solo and the Princess.

I've always wanted to put together what should have been the 2 LP OST that we got in 1983 but I've never had the gift for contextual gymnastics that made the first two LPs so special. (Or drove you nuts because of the chronological jumps the album would make, depending on your temperament.) When I think about how much I dislike the concert arrangements of The Asteroid Field and Here They Come I shudder to think of the possibility of those being included on the LPs of Star Wars and Empire rather than their film counterparts. That's kind of how I feel about The Forrest Battle being used here.

Happy Birthday, Return of the Jedi. We might not appreciate you as much as we should.

While I don't think all of the action cues in Jedi are as memorable as in the previous films, I do quite like Into the Trap. 

That said, I think a lot of my favorite music in Return of the Jedi is the quieter stuff: Yoda's Scene, Battle Plans, Vader Stalks Luke, The Emperor's Death, Vader's Death, Leia Breaks the News and its replacement inserts

Yoda's Scene and Battle Plans might even be my two favorite cues in the movie.

I do also really like the sail barge source cue, I wish it wasn't lost - even if there are some very high quality preservations of it on youtube

45 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

and so much Imperial March.

Two tracks, right? The Story Continues and Into the Trap?

43 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Er... @Tallguy, you do know that RETURN OF THE JEDI was released on May 25th, and not on February 10th 

Just saying :)

One needs an entire year to celebrate an OT Star Wars film. We'll just ramp it up on May 25th. (And the recording sessions were in January and February.)

Traditionally, I've put this as my second favourite score of all time (after JURASSIC PARK). These days, I'm not sure it quite holds that position, since my preferences have veered elsewhere over the last decade and a half or so. But damn, it's still a bloody brilliant score that is safely secured in my top 10 regardless, and also my sole representative of STAR WARS music in said list.

It plays brilliantly around with all that came before, but has its own set of wonderful setpieces.

I was about 6 years old when the film came out, so I have no memories of experiencing it at the time of release. My first exposure was on a taped VHS some 5-6 years later. The music, I didn't acquire until 12 years later.

Good heavens! I can't believe I didn't mention Final Duel! My original Grail! (OK, maybe Journey to Nepal was.)

IIRC from 30 years ago I saw an ad for the Arista Star Wars Anthology in a magazine. I dropped everything and drove to the music store. They had it! I went from not knowing anything about this box to having it at home and playing it in less than 30 minutes. Truly one of the greatest musical moments of my life.

The VERY FIRST THING I played was Final Duel. As much great music that is on that set I think the only thing from Jedi that I knew I wanted was that. (I didn't even think about the film version of Funeral Pyre for a Jedi. And I figured I had Darth Vader's Death from the Utah Symphony.)

It's one of the most perfect marriages of music and picture. Both are powerful on their own. It's not one of those scenes where you take away the music and all of the meaning and excitement go away. But put them together and it's the one of the high points of the film.

Going back to Arista, Jedi is such a towering, sprawling score that the Anthology doesn't quite do it justice. If that was all we got for Star Wars or even Empire, it would have been enough. The rest could be called "nice to have" or "for the completest". (I'm SO glad we got more.) But there were, IMHO, necessary moments missing from Jedi.

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

and also my sole representative of STAR WARS music in said list.

That's... That's astonishing.

I'm the perfect age for Jedi. Being 35, it's old enough where I was never around for the people that didn't like aspects of it, but I'm old enough where I have the usual distaste for the prequels. That age specifically I think makes ROTJ my sweet spot Star Wars movie. Everything from Luke being cool, the Emperor, Final Duel giving me the shivers every time.

I usually tell people that Empire is the best Star Wars movie, but Jedi is my favorite. 

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

(At the end of Empire I don't think anyone thought that they were going to try and wrap everything up in one more film.)

Really? To me it seems rather obvious, and certainly from looking into even Lucas' earliest notes for the third film its clear that there was never an actual version of Return of the Jedi that wasn't the end of the story.

Anyhow, to speak to the film's score, by sheer happenstance it emerged in a couple of discussions recently as a lesser-of, an opinion I certainly ascribe to, but nevertheless overemphasizing it can have the unfortunate side-effect of making one seem more critical of the score than one truly is.

Return of the Jedi, the film and the score, are very overtly resolutions to what had come before them, and I actually think they do so quite succesfully: inasmuch as cues like the revised "Sail Barge" rely very heavily on passages directly from the original film (as does the film's imagery, opening as it does with a shot that mimics the opening shot of the first film, and reusing much of its premise and locales), it does serve the purpose of creating a sense of "book-ends" to the trilogy, musically: this sense would of course lose something of its meaning in the larger scope of Williams' six-part and finally nine-part cycle, but nevertheless, I find it commendable.

At the same time, the score does push forward, both with material from the previous two scores (which it understandbly relies upon, being that its a summation) and new material unique to that score. James Buhler (in “Star Wars, Music, and Myth") says that, in the classic trilogy "Nothing actually happens musically in any of these scores. The themes simply remain the same" but that's not entirely true: it wasn't entirely true in the previous two scores, but its especially not true of Return of the Jedi, with its coup de génie "redemption" of Darth Vader's music at the end. Its not exactly Tristan, but its commendable nonetheless.

The big issue of the score, beside some of its saccharine undertones (especially but not exclusively around the Ewoks) is in the episodic structure forced on it by the film: Return of the Jedi is effective two films in one: a 35-minute short of a Pirate-themed serial about rescuing Han from Jabba, Episode 5.5, if you will; sandwiched into the beginning of a 90-minute feature, dealing with the final defeat of the Empire, Episode 6 proper. Marquand and Lucas almost make it work in the film as a bold structural choice, but not quite.

Musically, too, the Jabba sequence mostly has its own motives, but Williams does manage to link it to the larger structure: by mirroring some of his musical choices for "Sail Barge Assault" in the final attack on the Death Star, replete with the new, triumphant fanfare that extols both victories, he effectivelly turns the Jabba short into a microcosm (dare I say, overture?) for the piece as a whole. Nevertheless, the Jabba sequence does delay the introduction of some of the themes that will be important to the film's climax: the Ewok material, for one, but more significantly the themes associated with the Emperor and with Luke and Leia's siblinghood, the latter category including perhaps the finest melody of Williams' ouvre.

So yes, a lesser score, but nevertheless a worthy cap to the trilogy and, prior to 2015, to the sextet.

For some reason I always thought the Bassline was reinforced by Tuba and ARP Synth at the very opening of the movie when Vader's shuttle mysteriously glides towards the new Death Star.

However looking at the written music there is no Bass underpinning. Only Celli and Double Basses. Weird.

"Approaching the Death Star" is a truly magical moment musically and all the more fascinating now since learning the "Trap" motif is first utilised in this cue. And this revelation after 40 years of listening to this music! 

23 hours ago, Tallguy said:

To begin with it's got Luke and Leia which is the prettiest theme in the Star Wars films. (Princess Leia's theme, you know I adore you.) An oddly powerful theme given that it's used so briefly in the film.

Something like 10 years ago, when I didn't know Star Wars music that much, I heard this theme on my random 300+ pieces OST playlist, but didn't get to read the title on my player. I thought 'this is pretty nice melody, must be some main theme from one of the movies'. I searched through all title themes and couldn't find it. Some time later I discovered it was, in fact, some minor theme from episode VI lol

38 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

So... now we know that there is a lot of love for RETURN OF THE JEDI, can we talk about the sound of it?

Well, basically it sounds great on the 1993 Arista Anthology, absolutely horrid on the 1997 special edition, great again on the recent OST reissue and some of the uh, recent “unofficial” versions. And sadly, a few bits may be lost forever: the complete Jabba the Hutt concert arrangement, the Ewok battle insert, and some source music.

2 hours ago, stravinsky said:

For some reason I always thought the Bassline was reinforced by Tuba and ARP Synth at the very opening of the movie when Vader's shuttle mysteriously glides towards the new Death Star.

However looking at the written music there is no Bass underpinning.

You can definitely hear synth on the 83 OST.

I feel simultaneously sad that the 97 Jedi CD sounds so terrible and happy that I can't hear it and am able to enjoy it.

I can only assume that the Definitive Mike Matessino Star Wars collection that will most likely be out this year will change my mind.

(Bazinga.)

3 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Well, basically it sounds great on the 1993 Arista Anthology, absolutely horrid on the 1997 special edition, great again on the recent OST reissue and some of the uh, recent “unofficial” versions. And sadly, a few bits may be lost forever: the complete Jabba the Hutt concert arrangement, the Ewok battle insert, and some source music.

I’m not familiar with the battle insert.  Where is it in the film?

11 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I feel simultaneously sad that the 97 Jedi CD sounds so terrible and happy that I can't hear it and am able to enjoy it.

I can only assume that the Definitive Mike Matessino Star Wars collection that will most likely be out this year will change my mind.

(Bazinga.)

It's not that it sounds terrible, it is very inconsistent.  Some are great, some are poor.  That's an ugly stepbrother of the Hemsworth that just doesn't fit in with the rest.  

42 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Is Return Of The Jedi really that frowned upon? So many strong and memorable new themes and great arrangements of old ones.

Like the film, it's simply not as well regarded as the two that went before it.  It's a shame, but when it has to compete with STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - two of the greatest examples of film scores... ever - then it's going to come in a poor third.

Ps, it's not  "Lapti Nek"'s fault.

I said it before. When I saw Return of the Jedi the last time I thought, If now under Disney someone would make such a Star Wars movie with all these Muppet puppets including the song performance and the cute Ewoks, he or she would get killed by the fans for destroying their Star Wars.

On 10/2/2023 at 6:47 AM, Jay said:

Indeed. And I continue to be surprised that a hi-res, surround sound, DTS, etc. version of these scores hasn't been released yet.  

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Like the film, it's simply not as well regarded as the two that went before it. 

I think that's just a little overly-charitable towards that film. Its a movie that many would probably consider somewhat disappointing even in a context other than of the trilogy it caps.