John Williams video featurette for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

JNHFan2000

6 hours ago, Jay said:

We have known for four months that Mutter recorded a violin version of Helena's theme for the album and/or film.

Somehow I thought it was just an arrangement for performances or another album with her...not for the film or OST itself.

It looks like Mutter is with the orchestra and not just the featured soloist.  My guess is that Williams did indeed score a new ending (Harrison Ford strongly implied a reworked ending as the last thing he shot) and it will heavily feature violin; so, he brought in Mutter.  He probably recorded the Mutter Helena's theme along with it for fun.  

1 hour ago, p0llux said:

I've watched enough JW videos to notice that during the part where he says "I've been fortunate enough to be associated with the films for a long time..." is from the KOTCS feature.

is your signature a line from the third movement of the oboe concerto?

29 minutes ago, Tom said:

It looks like Mutter is with the orchestra and not just the featured soloist.  My guess is that Williams did indeed score a new ending (Harrison Ford strongly implied a reworked ending as the last thing he shot) and it will heavily feature violin; so, he brought in Mutter.  He probably recorded the Mutter Helena's theme along with it for fun.  

The I Could Have Done More ending

11 hours ago, Jay said:

The footage of JW talking around 0:47 in this video is from KOCS behind the scenes stuff, not anything new

And the recording session footage seems to be a blend of Last Crusade, KOCS, and DOD sessions

Where does this feature come from? I’ve never seen it before and it’s definitely not from the original DVD release I have. Blu ray or 4K?

21 minutes ago, Brando said:

Where does this feature come from? I’ve never seen it before and it’s definitely not from the original DVD release I have. Blu ray or 4K?

Blu-ray, but it's not presented in a 2-hour form like this, it's split into a bunch of shorter featurettes.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

(Harrison Ford strongly implied a reworked ending as the last thing he shot)

What's the source on this?  I have yet to see any discussion of a reshot ending except in wretched hives of scum and villainy like WeGotThisCovered.com.  I'm not doubting it; I'm just curious.

3 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Somehow I thought it was just an arrangement for performances or another album with her...not for the film or OST itself.

I think all we know is that her arrangement was recorded at the last recording session for the film. That might not necessarily mean it was for the film or OST. I’m hoping it’s not on the OST and is instead meant for a possible Across The Stars Vol. 2 

13 hours ago, Doug Adams said:

Not to wade into the modern minefield of Lucasfilm discussion, but isn’t KK referring to the opening trombone figure? (One … and-a-three.)

No, because right after she says it, they play the trumpet opening as reference to what she means.

10 hours ago, p0llux said:

the part where he says "I've been fortunate enough to be associated with the films for a long time..." is from the KOTCS feature.

11 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

they didnt actually interview Williams about this one- the very short bits with him were from an interview for Crystal Skull.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

The footage of JW talking around 0:47 in this video is from KOCS behind the scenes stuff, not anything new

3 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

No, because right after she says it, they play the trumpet opening as reference to what she means.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

I just watched the featurette again.

Immediately after Kathleen Kennedy says "that theme, that in 3 notes you're gonna recognize...", the video cuts to trumpets playing the first 4 notes of the main theme :)

So at least the video editor did not think that she was talking about the ostinato, but to the same figure that I thought she was.

I want to know the supposed John Williams fans that can't identify the Raiders March in three notes! To quote Mr. Neary: "Who ARE you people?!?"

I did not think she was talking about John Williams fans recognizing it, I thought she was talking about the general public recognizing it.

11 hours ago, Tom said:

I can see that

18 hours ago, Doug Adams said:

Not to wade into the modern minefield of Lucasfilm discussion, but isn’t KK referring to the opening trombone figure? (One … and-a-three.)

That conjures Indy in just three notes, doesn’t it? 

I’m jet-lagged and only watched the video once. So I apologize if I misinterpreted. 

“One … and-a-three” is four notes.

One = 1

and = 2

a = 3

three = 4

As you said elsewhere, the first measure is indeed three notes… but nobody would ever think “Indiana Jones” without including the fourth note that lands on beat 1 of the second measure.

5 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

nobody would ever think “Indiana Jones” without including the fourth note that lands on beat 1 of the second measure.

Thank You Michael Scott GIFs | Tenor

That's all I was trying to say in my initial post lol

18 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

As you said elsewhere, the first measure is indeed three notes…

Which measure is this?

The first measure has 4 notes in the trombones, 2 notes in the timps.

The second measure has 5 notes in the trombones, 2 notes in the timps.

The third measure has 4 notes in the trombones, 2 notes in the timps.

The fourth measure has 5 notes in the trombones, 2 notes in the timps.

The fourth measure also has the first 2 notes of the main Indy theme, in the trumpets (notes 1 and 2 in Jay's diagram).

The fifth measure has 4 notes in the trumpets, the continuation of the Indy theme (notes 3-6 in Jay's diagram).

Where are you guys seeing/hearing 3 notes?

Obviously KK was not referring to the B theme, even though it begins with 3 notes. She must have just mis-spoken.

I assumed, and so did whoever edited the video, that she was referring to the main Indiana Jones theme, not the opening ostinato.

46 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

As you said elsewhere, the first measure is indeed three notes… but nobody would ever think “Indiana Jones” without including the fourth note that lands on beat 1 of the second measure.

If it has the rhythm they would (ie my Desert Chase example)

Hell, I can hear it after one note 

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

“One … and-a-three” is four notes.

One = 1

and = 2

a = 3

three = 4

Quite right. I apologize again for my extreme lack of sleep. 

22 hours ago, p0llux said:

I've watched enough JW videos to notice that during the part where he says "I've been fortunate enough to be associated with the films for a long time..." is from the KOTCS feature.

Which just proves what we've been saying all along: Williams has stopped aging since the late 2000s, or has at least aged so little that the editing team felt confident they could slip '08 Williams in there and nobody would know it wasn't the Williams 15 years later talking about a 2023 film.

16 hours ago, crumbs said:

Two minutes of music drops from the first new Indiana Jones score in 15 years, yet we have nearly 3 pages of discussion around an offhand comment made by one producer about how many notes it takes to recognise the Raiders March.

Only on JWFan.

If not us, Crumbs, then who? WHO?!

On 20/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, Bellosh said:

You know it's true...

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 8.15.33 PM.png

edit: actually the only reason I knew that that was Indy's theme was doug adam's Indy podcast episode back in 2008.

BLEW MY MIND!

I don’t hear the Indy theme in that clip. At what time stamp do you hear it?

Also, do you know where I could find that podcast?

Do you mean between 3:20 and 3:26? Here, the 4th note goes to the same note as Indy’s theme, but one octave lower than usual. Also, the 1st note is different. I feel like it’s a stretch to call it Indy’s theme.

Interestingly, Johnny did the same thing in Crystal Skull with the Mutt variation of Indy’s theme (4th note goes an octave lower).

22 minutes ago, Garrett said:

I don’t hear the Indy theme in that clip. At what time stamp do you hear it?

Also, do you know where I could find that podcast?

Do you mean between 3:20 and 3:26? Here, the 4th note goes to the same note as Indy’s theme, but one octave lower than usual. Also, the 1st note is different. I feel like it’s a stretch to call it Indy’s theme.

Interestingly, Johnny did the same thing in Crystal Skull with the Mutt variation of Indy’s theme (4th note goes an octave lower).

Yeah it's definitely a stretch. I'm the last person on this forum who should be saying that bit is his theme too lol. I know nothing of music.

As far as that podcast...it was the FSM podcast. I haven't been able to find it online for a while (luckily I have it saved to my ipod). The link on FSM's forum is broken.

@Doug Adams any possible link to that podcast?

On 20/06/2023 at 10:55 PM, Tom said:

My guess is that Williams did indeed score a new ending (Harrison Ford strongly implied a reworked ending as the last thing he shot) and it will heavily feature violin; so, he brought in Mutter.  He probably recorded the Mutter Helena's theme along with it for fun.  

Hopefully when the expanded edition comes out 20 years from now ,we'll get to hear the original woke ending , and the one they re-shot due to angry fans at test screenings

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Hopefully when the expanded edition comes out 20 years from now ,we'll get to hear the original woke ending , and the one they re-shot due to angry fans at test screenings

I, too, would like to hear the original woke ending, featuring “Helenas’s March.”

5 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Yeah it's definitely a stretch. I'm the last person on this forum who should be saying that bit is his theme too lol. I know nothing of music.

As far as that podcast...it was the FSM podcast. I haven't been able to find it online for a while (luckily I have it saved to my ipod). The link on FSM's forum is broken.

@Doug Adams any possible link to that podcast?

Was it this, perhaps?:

https://on.soundcloud.com/q4Vi2y9dCxuBX8m37

On 21/06/2023 at 5:02 AM, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

is your signature a line from the third movement of the oboe concerto?

No, it's this:

FWIW, I tried to remove all dialogue from the featurette audio using iZotope RX 10.

5 minutes ago, scoreman36 said:

KK is obsessed with themes being recognisable in 3 notes. Maybe it’s for budgetary reasons (2:18)

Incidentally, I love that gorgeous alternate of Rey Meditates after KK's line!

5 hours ago, Doug Adams said:

not that one, but thats new to me so i'll give it a listen lol

i was referring to the one where you had two other guests, and it's roughly about 20 minutes.  it was the one that had the 'british relief' cue off the concord set at the very end as a teaser to the set.